Merits to Influence - step by step?

Can someone help me understand how people turn Merits to Influence?  I know there is a process but I cannot find something that explains the steps.

And please speak to me as you would a small child or a golden retriever 🙂

1. How do you get/farm Merits?
  2. What do you buy with Merits and where?
  3. What do you convert that into and with what?
  4. What is the end product that you sell on the AH?

Thanks all.

1.  You obtain merits by running Task Forces/Strike Forces.  Lots and lots of Task Forces/Strike Forces.  Story arcs as well, although they're not as efficient as TFs/SFs.

2, 3, and 4. Go to a Merit Vendor in most zones (they're on the map), and buy Enhancement Converters, Enhancement Boosters, and/or Enhancement Unslotters.  Sell them on the auction house.

• Like 1

There have been a couple of threads about this in the Market Forum -- try your search fu!

In addition to what @Apparitionsaid, you can also get merits from opening Hero packs or Winter packs.

As far as what to exchange them for, it's up to you.  If it's for personal use, it's all fair game.  Merits are easy to get, pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.  If you are trying to exchange your merits for inf at an "optimal" rate, there are a number of alternatives.  My observations are:  1.  For 100 merits, anything netting out 18mm+ (selling for 20mm+ before market fees) means you are probably doing ok, although there a few marginally more profitable options;  2.  I've never found anything more profitable than converting them to converters and then using the converters to make lead into gold.  

Who's a good boy?  Is it you?  It is!  You're a good boy!

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
Forgot I was talking to a golden retriever.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

See this link for my giveaway!  FREEMoney!

The road to pixel wealth in CoH has many paths. Some are better than others. But, in order to be really helpful, we need more information. 

How much time are you willing to invest? 
Do you have a second account? 
How much influence do you have to invest? (technically, you don't need any)

Have you read Yomo's latest guide/adventure, the meandering path to a billion? 

No point in my reciting it. Look through this very market forum. Some guides even have pictures. 

• 1 month later

Three other sources of merits are giant monsters, Dark Astoria dailies/repeatable missions,  and hunting certain badges. 🙂

Each giant monster drops a few merits for each person on a team which got at least one hit on them. 🙂

There are repeatable/daily missions in Dark Astoria with special rewards. One of the options is merits: 2 the first time in 20 hours, and 1 per time after that. Not a lot, but for a single mission, not bad. 🙂 

The badges are limited, but I'm certain the badges for getting every exploration badge in the zone - available for zones with 8 or more badges in them - drop some, and I think the badges for doing every story arc in a zone do, too. Not every zone seems to have those, but when they do, you get the merits for each story arc, and an extra bunch of merits for doing all the story arcs in that zone. 🙂

Edited by aeb
  • Like 1

Orobos portal is a good option. Repeat story arcs to get additional merits. Cash them for converters. Convert low value enhancements to sought after ones. Sell. You end up with an insane amount of cash fairly quickly.

Though I hear farming is more profitable.

Good merits to be had in Tip missions as well. Fun to run and enough variety so it isn't too repetitive. 

Believe it is 40 these days and I imagine the cool down period is gone so they can be done endlessly. 

• Thanks 1

In case our OP returns to the thread: 

The zones that offer bonus merits for completing the arcs in that zone are: 
Mercy
Atlas
The Hollows
Faultline
Striga
Croatoa
RWZ

Except for Kallista Wharf, Pocket D and Cimerora, all zones offer 8 exploration badges only. Get all eight, you get an accolade badge and 5 reward merits. In Pocket D and Cimerora, there are only 2 explorations each, and in Kallista Wharf only one. 

Recently, we've been able to use a new power called Long Range Teleport for getting all the badges in a zone. This works for Pocket D and Kallista, but not for Cimerora. So, other than just being a badge nerd, there's no motivation to get those badges in Cimerora. There are a few other zones lrtp doesn't work for, but that's a tangent issue. 

If you think about the number of zones we have in game, and the ease in which you can swap alignments, there's a lot of low hanging fruit. 

• Like 1
On 3/29/2021 at 10:13 PM, Sakai said:

Good merits to be had in Tip missions as well. Fun to run and enough variety so it isn't too repetitive. 

Believe it is 40 these days and I imagine the cool down period is gone so they can be done endlessly. 

In addition to this (yes, there is no longer a limit), every alignment option grants you the 40 Merits. 

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

On 3/30/2021 at 8:39 AM, Ukase said:

Except for Kallista Wharf, Pocket D and Cimerora, all zones offer 8 exploration badges only. Get all eight, you get an accolade badge and 5 reward merits. In Pocket D and Cimerora, there are only 2 explorations each, and in Kallista Wharf only one. 

If you wait until Page 2 drops, there will be tips that lead to these badges. Street hunt mobs, read the tips and grab the badges. Magneto Flight and this are two of the features that I can’t wait for the most.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward