Incorrect power icon

srmalloy

My Ice/Cold Corruptor was given power choices while training that included Freeze Ray, and I noticed that the icon showed a translucent cylinder around the figure, while the power is a Hold. Checking the power icons legend to be certain, the icon for the power is using the Sleep iconography; the cylinder around the figure should be solid for a Hold.

freeze.png.8d15bfe97cc849bca4a9f619e3e50ffe.png

Just in case, do you Happen to have a power icon mod installed?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I think that was done on purpose since there's another hold later in the set (Bitter Freeze Ray).  Since both are single target holds, they had to make them visually distinct in the tray, and with Freeze Ray being weaker, it made sense to use the sleep icon instead.

Also worth pointing out, a number of enemies with access to Freeze Ray (Crey Cryo Tanks in particular) use it as a sleep vs a hold, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I wonder if the player version was originally a sleep. I have had an Ice Blaster since the first couple of weeks after release and don't recall if it ever being a sleep for players, but it could have been one in the Beta.

• Developer
On 3/4/2021 at 11:59 AM, UberGuy said:

I wonder if the player version was originally a sleep.

I am 99.9% sure it was a sleep at some point in development.

50/50 chance it becoming a hold was an accident or a little thought out change, given even controllers were not given tools to 1-2 hold a boss without a lot of recharge or mixing up high recharge AoE holds.

image.thumb.png.07fe64b26308cd3c157b58cc695449de.png

IceBlast FreezeRay.png Freeze Ray

Although this power deals very little damage, the Freeze Ray encases your foe in a block of ice, Holding him helpless in place for a while.

Source: https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Ice_Blast#Freeze_Ray

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I misplaced mine, but if anyone happens to have it kicking around the original instruction manual had a complete list of every power available at the game's launch (including such things as when Gravity Control had Fold Space as a Team Recall power).  I'm pretty sure the old manual also has this icon for the power as well as it being listed as a hold, but it might be worth a quick check.  If that's the case, then it's very likely the only explanation was that it was a sleep in the beta leading up to the launch, or they just needed some way to discern two powers with near identical functions like I suggested earlier.

7 minutes ago, Aberrant said:

From the Prima Games guide.

Even they aren't sure whether it's a sleep or a hold! 😄

Probably not completely relevant to the topic at hand, but Prima Games MMO strategy guides weren't always the best.  Over in the Final Fantasy 11 community, the Prima Games guide frequently gets brought up and mocked as an example of bad information and poor advice.  Hell that guide didn't even tell you how you were supposed to complete some of the game's sidequests which are already horribly vague to begin with, nevermind their complete lack of understanding game mechanics when it came to class choices.  I'm not dismissing the guide's input on this particular subject, but they're not exactly the most trustworthy source to go on.

Edited by ZorkNemesis

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.