Is Regen still worth playing?

FullEclipse

Oh good grief.. Regen is not the worst and excels at most content. It benefits greatly from fast attacks (so you can click a heal when needed) and high recharge (get those heals back faster).

Paired with anything providing -tohit or +def = bonus.

• Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 minutes ago, Troo said:

Oh good grief.. Regen is not the worst and excels at most content. It benefits greatly from fast attacks (so you can click a heal when needed) and high recharge (get those heals back faster).

Paired with anything providing -tohit or +def = bonus.

It is definitely the worst.

Which Armor set is worse? 

But it is an Armor Set, so it is still pretty powerful.  

1 minute ago, Haijinx said:

It is definitely the worst.

Which Armor set is worse? 

But it is an Armor Set, so it is still pretty powerful.  

image.png.291e9a6db5bd7241be40773eeb65b0a1.png

You do get to have your opinion.

I could nominate a handful depending on archetype, level, content and purpose. Maybe Ice, Fire, Willpower, maybe Ninjitsu, in some cases Stone (can be slow & unwieldy).. bring it.  🙂

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Just now, Troo said:

image.png.291e9a6db5bd7241be40773eeb65b0a1.png

You do get to have your opinion.

I could nominate a handful depending on archetype, level, content and purpose. Maybe Ice, Fire, Willpower, maybe Ninjitsu, in some cases Stone (can be slow & unwieldy).. bring it.  🙂

Ninjitsu on stalkers is pretty bad true, but Regen is even WORSE on stalkers 

Fire at least has all the extra damage and burn.  

Stone without granite is definitely worse than Regen, But it can be super tough at least in granite.  But you do give up a lot.  

Ice .. though.  It probably is close to as bad as regen.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, FullEclipse said:

Do you all find regen fun to play still or is it too nerfed to enjoy. I loved my katana/regen but would he be worth creating again?

As you've seen from the spectrum of responses, OP, what rates as "fun to play" varies a bit from person to person. I'd say that if you enjoyed your Kat/Regen before, you'd problem enjoy him again. Give it a shot and find out!

As @Troo correctly observed, Regen benefits from being paired with fast-animating powers. Kat is a good choice for this.

Noone has really asked what AT this is going to be on. If you're flexible, I'd recommend Brute. Brute's higher HP values gets more net benefit from Regen's core abilities. Also, there is a bit of synergy on a Regen Brute in that Fury works well at lower levels, complimenting Regen's strengths there too. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

As you've seen from the spectrum of responses, OP, what rates as "fun to play" varies a bit from person to person. I'd say that if you enjoyed your Kat/Regen before, you'd problem enjoy him again. Give it a shot and find out!

As @Troo correctly observed, Regen benefits from being paired with fast-animating powers. Kat is a good choice for this.

Noone has really asked what AT this is going to be on. If you're flexible, I'd recommend Brute. Brute's higher HP values gets more net benefit from Regen's core abilities. Also, there is a bit of synergy on a Regen Brute in that Fury works well at lower levels, complimenting Regen's strengths there too. 

Does Devine Avalanche for brutes stack? I know it doesn't for Tankers 

1 minute ago, Haijinx said:

Does Devine Avalanche for brutes stack? I know it doesn't for Tankers 

Not that I am aware of?

I don't think any offensive powers which give Defense allow you to stack that stat. If I'm wrong, I'm very excited to be, cause I'll have a new character to roll.

1 minute ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Not that I am aware of?

I don't think any offensive powers which give Defense allow you to stack that stat. If I'm wrong, I'm very excited to be, cause I'll have a new character to roll.

I thought it did for Scrappers and Stalkers

4 minutes ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

image.png.b21bcd33124ac069f23f418722fe0098.png

Oh! I was very wrong!

Edit: The stacking blue boxes icon on the right indicate a "stacking effect"

Yep, it's an on tap ability to help counter defdebuffs on sets with little to no DDR.  I use/used it like crazy on my BS/Regen when running at low levels.

Without trying too hard.. or spending crazy.. or incarnates

In today's game, with team def thrown around, this is plenty tough.

image.png.52dc4b600f801ac442948d3a446475c8.png

not to mention the possible bouncing between Shadow Meld & Moment of Glory

Edited by Troo
missed an o in to

7 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Yep, it's an on tap ability to help counter defdebuffs on sets with little to no DDR.  I use/used it like crazy on my BS/Regen when running at low levels.

I've personally never took to Katanas due to the animations (I think I'm in the minority) and my only attempt was on a tanker, so this feels like moving the couch and finding a $20 bill.

Honestly if building for high global recharge to maximize self heals out of Regen, it seems super easy to maintain 30% Melee defense from this ability alone in combat. Am I misreading this? 

1 hour ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

I've personally never took to Katanas due to the animations (I think I'm in the minority) and my only attempt was on a tanker, so this feels like moving the couch and finding a $20 bill.

Honestly if building for high global recharge to maximize self heals out of Regen, it seems super easy to maintain 30% Melee defense from this ability alone in combat. Am I misreading this? 

Yes 😁  I think it was @Wernertalking about running solo, no inspirations, etc. against Cimerorans with his Kat/DA specifically mention how he'd be watching his defense and when their debuffs started landing he'd start mixing Divine Avalanche into his attack chain to try and keep from rapidly spiraling into cascade failure.  And don't overlook the fact it takes defense enhancements like LotG inc rech speed.  Conceivably your double stack could by itself come very close to 45% vs melee and lethal with the defense aspect enhanced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

blink of glory?

Alone it is only good to run away and very skippable.

Good mule in that it can slot def & resist.

Paired with something similar it can be very effective.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Troo said:

blink of glory?

Alone it is only good to run away and very skippable.

Good mule in that it can slot def & resist.

Paired with something similar it can be very effective.

And here I thought it was Milliseconds of Glory.   But yeah good mule, doesn't need slots except to hold said mules and combined with things like Shadow Meld can help get out of a tight spot, buy a few 'moments' for IH, DP, or Recon to recharge etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

What's ya'll opinion on MOG

An actually good T9 that gives the armor set it's part of something completely different than what the rest of the set does by itself. Invuln doesn't really need Unstoppable, SR doesn't really need Elude, etc. MoG granting boosts to things Regen doesn't have natively is a huge boon when you need it.

• Like 4

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

6 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

What's ya'll opinion on MOG? 😄 

I think it's amazing, and the only T9 worth taking, for all the reasons that Laxx pointed out. Also, it doesn't have a crash! You can pop it every minute-thirty and it doesn't have a crash.  

So personally I think it's essential if you're ever in a situation where you can be reasonably expected to soak an alpha. Repeatedly. 

• Like 2

I've had some fun with a EM/Regen brute. Dull Pain + IH + Barrier + MoG makes for dramatic burst survivability, between the high HP cap and the high resistance cap of Brutes.

Using EM specifically, because EM has excellent endurance consumption, so coupled with Quick Recovery you can make a top tier attack chain using the Vigor Alpha. This Alpha choice is yet another area where being a Brute benefits you over a Scrapper or a Tanker, relatively, because Brutes get less out of Musculature as their damage relies on Fury.

And Brute Regen has a taunt aura, which is always nice.

But... all of this together is basically the best case scenario for Regen. It requires active work, and it still underperforms overall compared to Bio.

Regen really needs a bone, IMHO.

• Like 2

I have a Katana/ Regen scrapper as well. I ended up shelving it and cannibalized all the set IOs on it though.

From my experience playing it, [Moment of Glory] was absolutely essential to take. I found myself using it often to survival big hits. Anxiety would inevitably set in when instant healing/dull pain was down.

Regen on a whole has been nerfed into the weeds imo. As a few others have pointed out, it just doesn't compare to other power-sets now, such as /willpower, or /bio. Even with all boosted set IOs and vigor alpha I was struggling to take big hits in high level content. The one place that I've found regen preforms surprisingly well, PvP in Recluse's Victory, if that is your thing.

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

4 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

I think it's amazing, and the only T9 worth taking, for all the reasons that Laxx pointed out. Also, it doesn't have a crash! You can pop it every minute-thirty and it doesn't have a crash.  

So personally I think it's essential if you're ever in a situation where you can be reasonably expected to soak an alpha. Repeatedly. 

Or put another way.  I've literally, between HC and Live, created dozens of SR builds/characters none have had Elude in their primary build since maybe i13 if not earlier.  While I have fewer /Regen characters none have ever skipped MoG (either the old version or the new).