Is Regen still worth playing?

FullEclipse

19 minutes ago, America's Angel said:

"It's harder to play" is a bad reason to rebalance a set that is already balanced.

No, its a good reason. 

If set A requires you to manage clicks, timing, environmental pressures encounter to encounter to get by which takes away focus from your other powers, then set B gets the same if not better defensive power without such sacrifice then yeah set A needs help since you spend much more effort for nothing.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, America's Angel said:

Whenever I post a build people start nerfherding. So no. 🙂

Nobody nerfherds when I post my builds. 😢😉But on topic, no, I've not played a min/maxed L50 Regen since live, so I'll grant that someone with current experience, assuming comparable experience with other armor sets, might have a better picture of where it stands than I do with my ancient experience and mere guesses as to how it might perform comparatively these days.

Edited by Werner

Think conceptually it would be great if the Regen Self-Rez was on an almost instant recharge. That, for me, would give the set a much more concept-friendly hook. 

Yes, Regen isn’t the strongest set available, but that’s not really the point. CoH is joyous in its variation and the freedom it affords players in terms of imagination. 

Neither Deadpool nor Wolverine are the most powerful and regularly get their asses handed to them in fights. They die, it hurts, they get up again and go again. 

Know he’s not Regen but look at Captain America in the end of End Game. Taken a beating, his arm practically hanging off, yet gets up again to go another round with a Titan. Spider-Man probably literally loses more fights than he wins. He gets up. 

To many players, better doesn’t mean best. Strongest doesn’t mean only. Regen, and other sets like them that are in the lower half of the tiers in terms of strength, serve an important need for players to play, and be, the hero they want; to encapsulate the qualities they admire and honour the characters from superhero lore who have inspired them. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Heraclea said:

This is it in a nutshell.  At minimum, what regen needs is practical immunity to -regen, -health, -heal, -end, and -recharge.  If you're going to try to make an armor set that works so differently from the others with their mixtures of resistance and defense, you need let it to do its thing. 

I don't know much about this set at high levels, but I find it very surprising it doesn't already excel at these things. Is there a legacy balance reason a set called Regeneration doesn't resist -Regen and -Heal, at the least?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

I don't know much about this set at high levels, but I find it very surprising it doesn't already excel at these things. Is there a legacy balance reason a set called Regeneration doesn't resist -Regen and -Heal, at the least?  

The old rule was "cuz the devs hate regen."

Having regen resist regen debuffs does seem to be a no-brainer but I've no clue if there's some underlying reason it can't be done.

2 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

This thread has inspired me to roll a Kinetic Melee/Regen Brute and see what all the fuss is about.

Honestly, yeah, this thread makes me a lot more curious to sample current Regen performance than it does scare me off.

Edited by Werner
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

I'd wager it's the same "legacy reason" as some of the other oddities in this game - the OG devs had no idea what they were doing.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

16 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

And yet still managed to create a game that we're all playing 17 years later.

I think part of the reason we're all still here is precisely because the OG devs didn't know what they were doing. By all accounts they designed a game based on how they thought an MMO should work without really getting it, and then the players broke the game in new and interesting ways at every turn. Part of this game's appeal is how ridiculously overpowered a player is compared to most NPCs, which based on multiple comments from Jack back in the day was absolutely not intentional.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

This thread has inspired me to roll a Kinetic Melee/Regen Brute and see what all the fuss is about.

Same. Although I am thinking War Mace/Regen with Force of Will so stomp and crowd control can buy time for the regen to work. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, macskull said:

I think part of the reason we're all still here is precisely because the OG devs didn't know what they were doing. By all accounts they designed a game based on how they thought an MMO should work without really getting it, and then the players broke the game in new and interesting ways at every turn. Part of this game's appeal is how ridiculously overpowered a player is compared to most NPCs, which based on multiple comments from Jack back in the day was absolutely not intentional.

Champions Online was the same way.  During open beta and pre-launch, players were ridiculously overpowered compared to mobs, and the game was fun.  Then on launch day, they patched the game to meet Jack Emmert’s standards of “three minions to one player” rule and players left in droves, including myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Champions Online was the same way.  During open beta and pre-launch, players were ridiculously overpowered compared to mobs, and the game was fun.  Then on launch day, they patched the game to meet Jack Emmert’s standards of “three minions to one player” rule and players left in droves, including myself.

I remember that. I legitimately enjoyed the game during the open beta period and then the launch day nerfbomb ruined any interest I had in it. It's kind of funny that we're now here 10 years later and HC has a larger playerbase than CO.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, America's Angel said:

Do any of you actually play min/maxed regens at level 50? They're insanely good. You can tank anything in the game, in both PVE and PVP.

It's harder to play well than something you can fire-and-forget like WP or Invuln. But it's a great armour set. I'd hate to see it rebalanced because people don't know how to play it.

Exactly this.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

44 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Just hope you know what you're getting yourself into with regard to Kinetic Melee.

I've got a 50 KM/Energy Aura brute that I quite enjoy... actually, part of the reason I picked it again is the whole "KM is teh sUXxORZs" thing.

What this team needs is more Defenders