"Toxic" Community?.. My thoughts, feel free to add your own!

Hey Everyone,

So, again, Massively Overpowered has posted yet another article about how OUR community has been plagued with actions from players, either against other players, or the DEV team, or even the servers themselves.  I almost exclusively play on Homecoming ( I have at least a presence on every shard), and I'm wondering if anyone's seen this sort of "toxic behavior" that we all keep hearing about?

So far, I haven't.

That's with doing more than 100 DFB's, at least a dozen TF's, more story arc missions and radio missions than I can count, and on 24 different characters.

I have yet to find a time where I can't get into a team with people that enjoy the game.  I have yet to see anyone harass another player or blow up chat.  I've yet to see anyone even start an argument.  Good natured discussion, even debate on builds, has happened, but no one's gone all "road rage" on someone else that I've seen.  Getting into a team is a breeze most of the time (unless your in Praetoria.. not sure why it's so sparse there), and players of old (like myself) are helping new players constantly, as well as making sure we lead by example on how, and more importantly WHY, Our Community is so strong that even 6 years after a game was shut down, we still crave it, outdated graphics and all.

So, I guess my question is.. is MO really over-stating something to draw hits to it's site, or am I just obliviously happily not on when the snerts arrive?

Let me know your thoughts, in between killing skul's that is :)

PseudoCool

• Like 2

I haven't seen any of this. Admittedly I run with a fairly tight group of friends, so maybe I wouldn't. But I've done TF, respecs, and even failed a respec trial where noone got mad or personal.  So I just don't know man. I hesitate to say it isn't really that bad because I don't know, but I'd like to think we aren't.

• Like 1

Yeah, on Reunion everyone seems pretty chill. The worst I’ve Encountered is someone saying ‘I’lll chat wherever I want to thanks’ When i asked them to stop discussing imperial vs Matrix measurement  systems in Help, and another dude who told me to piss off when I asked him if he could turn hot feet off in the AE building. Apart from that, i’ve Been drive-by healed, got onto chatty happy PuGs, had some hats about cool costumes and generallyI feel right at home :D

MCM

• Like 1

The article - https://massivelyop.com/2019/05/28/city-of-heroes-rogue-servers-may-28/, was really highlighting community problems with the Discord backed Server and the Reditt backed Server.  Homecoming was mentioned as not being helpful to those servers, but:

1.) Not mentioned as being harmful

2.) Gave a great response why they aren't helping (concerns about  i24 drawing NCSoft attention)

I don't really think it was a commentary about Homecoming...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

The worst I’ve Encountered is someone saying ‘I’lll chat wherever I want to thanks’ When i asked them to stop discussing imperial vs Matrix measurement  systems in Help, and another dude who told me to piss off when I asked him if he could turn hot feet off in the AE building.

People like that are why we have /ignore.

• Thanks 1

Pleased to meet you!  I am Animal, and I harbor Perverse Sexual Lust.

Also, this is not the playerbase at the end of Live, aka, 'You can never go home.'

There have always been people that are loud about tellings others in CoH how to Play and how to have Fun, nothing new.

These people IME have alwayes been a _loud_ minority.

In-game I have experienced nothing but fun, happy people, with the exception a couple incidents of people trying to get support for a rollback to gated cosmetics and a couple worried over the threat of losing the game overall.

All of the toxicity I have seen has been on the Internet, out of the game.

Several players are trying to add in Social Justice and other RL things to thier choice of server-runners.

Perfectly acceptable IMO, free choice and all that.

However, rather then just going to the server they prefer, some have decided to continue to tell anyone that will listen how un-ethical the HC version of the game is because 'reasons' and that the rogue server they play on is 'right', tossing around misinformation along the way.

Not as acceptable, IMO, and as my wife likes to say, "If you don't want people to laugh at your beliefs, don't have such funny beliefs."

There is a reddit post right now where someone is fear-mongering about characters not being 'safe' on any server other than the ones 'in the cliche', yet the functionality is both vaporware and hopes.

This is the Internet of today and no matter what the channel, some humans are trapped into being unable prefer something, without first showing thier contempt of something else to prove thier level of conviction to the tribe.

HC was the first and is the largest and has ties to the secret stuff, so it will be the villian, thus it is written.

I have always enjoyed covorting with villians.

• Like 2

I've not encountered any of this. Hell in the short time I logged in today I saw people asking questions and getting help from experienced players. Also came 2nd in a costume competition where everyone was congratulating each other.

Since I came here I've not seen any hostility in game at all.

• Like 1

So, again, Massively Overpowered has posted yet another article about how OUR community has been plagued with actions from players, either against other players, or the DEV team, or even the servers themselves.  I almost exclusively play on Homecoming ( I have at least a presence on every shard), and I'm wondering if anyone's seen this sort of "toxic behavior" that we all keep hearing about?
They're few in number, but they exist. It takes only a handful of shitlords to make things worse for a large number of people.

Ive heard of someone ending someones farm mish out of spite, or bellyaching about global chats, but I have mostly met helpful/nice/neutral players. 

The trolls, they run about causing trouble. They hide under overpasses, and in caves until they see their opportunity. The trolls feed on attention and anger, do not feed the trolls. Let them get tired and go back to their superadine addictions.

There's a small portion of the community that seems bound and determined to see Leandro and the Homecoming team as the bad guys no matter what. I see their posts on the discord and reddit on occasion. Naturally they don't show up much on these forums or any Homecoming servers.

any chance of getting you to shrink the size of your problem solved stamp.

thanks in advance

cO2Td17.png

dDXlHYP.jpg

1.  That's awesome.

2. If I were to quantify the negative people I've encountered, I'd put it at about .3% at the worst.  I've only put one person on /ignore and that was someone spamming for a farming team. 

So far, my return to COH has been nothing but pleasant.  Sure, you get the know it alls from time to time, but I've never had one be aggressive about it.  I've seen people have all sorts of issues and the team would wait, be patient and offer help if possible.  Knock on wood, but the good seems to waaaaaay outnumber the bad.

• Like 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

CoH? Toxic? Since When?!

The forums could get into flame wars with the best of them. I should know, I took part in many of them. And the AT devoted boards on the official forums were filled with "This is the Best/Only way to make/play this AT". Just like with any other MMO such people would get really angry about any dissenting opinions. But I would frequently find myself in a flamewar with someone in one thread, casually chatting with the same person in another thread, and working with that exact same person to explain something to others in yet another thread. All at the same time. The in-game community had it's problem makers too, but by and large it's always been hands down the friendliest community in any MMO. Forums or in-game, it doesn't matter.

By comparison, Everquest 1's in-game community are elitist a-holes. I tried getting into that game in the early 2000's because I was enjoying CoH so much, and had been hearing for years how amazing EQ was suppose to be. I accidentally selected for my new half-elf a hometown I didn't have access to due to not owning the latest expansion. So I asked in global chat how to reach the half elf hometown form the Plane of Knowledge since that was where I was dumped after the tutorial. I got insulted for half an hour, and given a zone by zone list of where to go and what to kill (and how many to kill) 'guide' for reaching the level cap as fast as possible. Then told that if I can't be bothered to do that then, well, here's a direct quote. "If you can't manage that, go get your daddy's gun and shoot yourself. It'll improve the world." Later that week I joined a team with my now level 20 ranger, and was insulted (as well as told to kill myself) because I wasn't able to, at level 20, cast buffs that rangers don't get until level 60 or so. And because my brand new character, first one I've made, wasn't fully equipped with level 60 gear (at least). Never mind I didn't have the gold to buy such gear on the auction house. Also ignore the fact that EQ would have reduced the effectiveness of that overlevel gear until it was less effective then my level appropriate stuff. I quit playing EQ1 within two weeks of starting to play, and haven't looked back.

WoW has a toxic in-game and forum community, and always has. Even DDO and DCUO have toxic forum communities, although their in-game communities are less toxic then the forum ones.

But City of Heroes has a toxic community? Only if you're a gold seller trying to create a market of "Inf for real world money".

There's a small portion of the community that seems bound and determined to see Leandro and the Homecoming team as the bad guys no matter what. I see their posts on the discord and reddit on occasion. Naturally they don't show up much on these forums or any Homecoming servers.

This is what I'm seeing also. Sorry if know one wants to say it but Discord and Reddit are the ones seemly making all the noise and trying to drag Homecoming into all kinds of things. I just hope the homecoming team stays high and not get dragged into the noise from Discord and especially Reddit.

Except we know the truth.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

The first encounter I've had in Homecoming that even comes close to approaching the idea of being toxic was the other night. After three team wipes in as many missions, the team leader said "I'm just gonna say it, this team doesn't mesh" and rage quit. Even though he kept selecting Carnies and Arachnos and setting to +2 for a team of 8 with minimal support for Psi and end drain, I thought we had done fairly well, only wiping due to some bad RNG streaks. But I wouldn't even call that toxic on his part.

This community is rancid with politeness and friendliness.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

The first encounter I've had in Homecoming that even comes close to approaching the idea of being toxic was the other night. After three team wipes in as many missions, the team leader said "I'm just gonna say it, this team doesn't mesh" and rage quit. Even though he kept selecting Carnies and Arachnos and setting to +2 for a team of 8 with minimal support for Psi and end drain, I thought we had done fairly well, only wiping due to some bad RNG streaks. But I wouldn't even call that toxic on his part.

This community is rancid with politeness and friendliness.

That dude sounds lame. If you aint dyin' you aint tryin', debt badges are a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

Know something I don't miss from when the game was live?  Influence sales spammers.  I remember being in Atlas and having to put a half dozen on /ignore just to not have a quickly scrolling chat window full of "Influence for sale.  Great prices.  Go to www.ihateillegalsalesspammers.com". That, was toxic in my opinion. 

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior