"Toxic" Community?.. My thoughts, feel free to add your own!

6 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

So, my duo partner and I have a new pair of characters, my Ill/Storm controller and their Storm/Energy defender.  We've been spending a lot of time hanging around in Atlas, running tip missions.  My character's bio literally says 'I slot for Knockback'.  Would you like to guess how many random tells about KB we've accumulated between us?  I'll give you a clue: it's somewhere between nought and zero.

Not quite the same thing as PB, Khelds in general and PB especially have an actual active group of haters that seem to feel it is their duty to try and get everyone playing one to forsake the AT entirely, as for my energy blaster, he is named Mr. Energy, so thats abit more in the open then a bio and build that is not readily obvious to random passing folks unless they are taking the time to examine your bio and build page.

So hey I am glad you dont get the hate directed at you, try having a PB as one of your main stable, lets just say its good I almost only lead teams cept when I join a friend or someone I am familiar with to play hired gun for. But my PB Skylord on everlasting, lets say he isnt the lowest profile either, and when you get noticed its not always from those that like being on tanks and brutes who face plant trying to gather up rikti on a MSR and I swoop down to revive them, heal them, and cover them while dragging the mobs they couldnt and then some without fear. There are those that will trash talk a PB all day long, and then when you show them how unstoppable they can be, they switch gears to calling them brokenly OP and a crutch and clearly need to be nerfed etc.

Let me put it this way I frequently join MSR on my PB because vanguard, Shout out to Helen a handbasket who I never miss a chance to fly with. And guess how many PB I see on them typically, most of the time 1, mine, now and then as many as 3 PB at once, And especially when I am the only one there will usually be a mixture of arent I special and boy PB  must really suck with no one ever playing them jabs in chat. Not really mean spirited but certainly not meant to make you feel like your character is valued by them either.

2 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

You do know that my academic background is in Anthropology, right? (Historical Ethnology specifically-)... 'Have the economically-useless university degrees and everything. 😝

There are no absolute universals when it comes to human behavior, but some underlying patterns are reasonably well established. The fact that we're pretty typical of troupe primates in more ways than some of us might be comfortable with hasn't really been up for debate in... well, decades, honestly. That strong preference for in-group/out-group social constructs and for forming hierarchies within and between discreet groups that I mentioned? Social Psychologists figured that one out long before the evolutionary types got in on it.

Anyway, a real throw down on the good, the bad and the ugly of evolutionary psychology and exactly how it relates to ourselves and our primate cousins is pretty well outside the scope of a thread about dealing with assholes and blow-hards in a superhero MMO. If anyone is really interested, there have been reams written on the subject. 

Orcourse it is still up for debate, after all what is understood about human psychology today amounts to about what the average ant knows and understands about the same subject. After all the last few years ever increasing evidence suggests we as a species have been pretty big on eating our own species, as even about half of the human population has a genetic resistance to Prion related issues. Something studies suggest could only come from thousands of years of actively eating our own as a regular part of our diet. Something we also do not see in any primate species, as it far more closely resemble the behavior of something atypical like the King Cobra, which I imagine you know is unique in the snake kingdom for being exclusively a snake eater up to and often including their own kind.

Now I am not saying we dont see things like chimps and baboons eat monkeys etc, but what increasing evidence suggest is we just did it as a way to turn rivals into food stores, and seem to mainly have been the children of rival groups. Things also seem to be increasing the idea that we ate and raped into oblivion our closest rivals and kindred humans.

Are you familiar with the accounts of William Buckley? He was a convict that escaped the penal colony into the outback and lived for a time with the aboriginal people. His accounts are some of the very few of the behavior of the people pre genocide by the colonization. As I imagine you know since its in your wheel house, stone age tribal peoples offer a unique window into how more then likely our early pre history stone age ancestors lived and interacted. If his accounts are remotely accurate, the groups were little more then single family units rarely ever growing beyond 3 or 4 adult men in the majority of groups, with sudden violence between the different family groups being often, sudden, very difficult for Buckley to discern the motivation and cause of beyond simply encountering each other, and almost always going until 1 or 2 of a groups adult men got killed, and one or two of the younger females on the losing side being taken away by the victors. He also claimed that they routinely ate the dead of their own group or those they killed in battle, and was in fact the only real reason beyond taking girls he could determine as a cause for the violence. He claimed he never partook in that, though most imagine he simply didnt want to admit to such in his accounts.

Keep in mind for basically all of human history our species has been subject to what literally amounts to brainwashing via religious indoctrination going back basically as far as we can find in known history. With such a factor known, it makes it very easy to doubt we will any time soon really see what humans really are like in a natural state.

21 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Want to argue about if the Earth is flat or not? You'll love the chat over there

Man, you just need to go out and buy the Nikon P900 and you'll see how flat the Earth is. The Nikon P900 is the perfect camera and the Nikon P900 will never let you down because the Nikon P900 is the true believer's camera of choice.

• Haha 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

• 4 weeks later
On 10/4/2020 at 1:29 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

Oh YES, I concur with this completely. Vent, absolutely. Get it out of your system, but then stop and let it go.

Because the only real "power" in this game lies in the hands of the ones running the server. That's it. Don't give a bully any more sway over you than the sway it takes to type "/gignore @JerkyPlayer

I'm sorry but it's not actually that easy to find people for Itrials and such without using Everlasting TFs and other channels which are all run by people who were looking for "reasons" to treat me as some kind of troll or bad apple from day 1.

I haven't logged on COH in months, and never will again unless I find evidence of good RP groups on a non Everlasting server, since going back to Everlasting where all the bad apples I've met are, is an absolute never.

I see a lot of people discussing stuff like people who hate on specific aspects of the game. I too have aspects of the game I hate, but those things do not ruin it for me, COH is a good game despite all its flaws, and to be fair most of those flaws are due to it being a stone age game in every way aside from character customization and role structure mechanics and buffs/CC/debuffs stuff.

I don't blame anyone who had a hand in making COH for that. and it's a fun game PROVIDED you have good people to play and RP with, which I found severely lacking on Everlasting.

Only one thing can really always make or break a game in all situations for MMOs. and that is Community. Everlasting's community is an absolute deal breaker.

Edited by ZeeHero

1 minute ago, Nuke Leah said:

A few bad apples spoils the bunch.  If you fall into a bushel of spoiled apples, it isn't you, it's them.  Plan your escape.

I thought it was better before you reposted.

Depends how many bushels you fall into, they can't all be spoiled, after all.

Edited by Tyrannical

Been playing since release, probably the most positive community I've experienced....and this coming from a person who has played WoW into Wrath, participated in Barrens chat, main Blitzy in League, and grew up playing Street Fighter on NYC cabinets.

Running into an asshole from time to time happens, but toxic? Nah. Definitely #1 positive community, right up there with Final Fantasy.

• Like 2

In my experience, Everlasting specifically has a good community of not only the roleplayers I've had the fortune of interacting with but also the raid leaders that really know their stuff when it comes to endgame content.

Leaps and bounds better than what I remember from Virtue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuke Leah said:

I don't think the phrasing "bad apples" is getting anywhere soon on the path you're taking.  What you're saying just isn't true enough in a microcosm of people.  Yeah, they can all be bad, that's how you get groups of bad people and even organizations of bad people.  Groups of bad people do exist, so I don't know what your point is.  That hey, if everyone ever is always wrong but you're always right, you should probably reconsider the fact that maybe you're wrong?  Sure, that's fine, but I think everyone here is talking about the servers with a few hundred people on them, not everyone on the planet.

I like the community here for the most part, and I think most people are fine, fun to play with, and aren't out to get me or anyone else.  There are groups of insular, unwelcoming people though.  I've had enough weird/bad encounters on Everlasting to know that the "hey pretty much everyone's great!" isn't entirely true.  I haven't had time to comb this entire thread though, I've just read the more recent responses.  Maybe you're absolutely right.  At a glance, face value though, I don't think what you're saying is helpful.  If you were just joking around, that's cool, I'm sorry I jumped on it.

I'm not saying everyone is good, just that not everyone is bad.

You do run into people that my mother has a special phrase for, "They might not be right, but they're never wrong."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

24 minutes ago, Nuke Leah said:

Everyone isn't specific enough.  Everyone on Homecoming?  Everyone on Everlasting?  Everyone in Pocket D on Everlasting?  Everyone playing petless MM's?  Surely you don't actually mean everyone on the planet?

Groups of bad people do exist.  Everyone in a group can be bad.  You're right though, like I said in the last post.  Everyone on the planet is not bad.

All of the above, I guess.

Edited by Tyrannical

I generally really like the CoH community.  Really.  I am not easy to get along with.  I mostly do okay here.

I was pestered for a few weeks about a year ago by some mad person and switched servers due to it.  They REALLY did not like me.

I quit playing CoH after April due to the my not liking the extreme moderation of the chat boards.  Like, micromanaging where posts go to the point of banning you for not posting where they want you to.  I still find that....just really odd.

But i cannot find a game out there that compares with the versatility and options of clunky old CoH.

And, again, I tend to have a real good run in most teams/leagues.  

I am still Snarky in General chat.  If you cannot enjoy sarcasm.  I am ....not sorry.  If you cant drive 5 mph over the speed limit stay out of the fast lane.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 6:41 PM, Nerio72 said:

It will be great when this thread gets shut down because of toxic behavior which is where it looks like this is now headed.

Essentially what is always the problem...it most of the time isn't any actual gameplay, but nerds arguing with nerds about who's more right by accurate degree,...

Then the ad hominems comes, appeal to authority, and every other fallacy. I will say this, regardless of the game, the community on the boards are always way more toxic than anyone playing the game.  Idol hands and all that....

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, killigraphy said:

Essentially what is always the problem...it most of the time isn't any actual gameplay, but nerds arguing with nerds about who's more right by accurate degree,...

Then the ad hominems comes, appeal to authority, and every other fallacy. I will say this, regardless of the game, the community on the boards are always way more toxic than anyone playing the game.  Idol hands and all that....

Duty Calls

https://xkcd.com/386/

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Machariel said:

i can count on one finger the number of times i've gotten into any form of argument or dispute with someone in game.

(the number is one btw)

Once I see the local "board defender" with a million posts in a month, its like seeing a cop in full regalia in the middle of summer...

don't approach, the jobsworth is going to give you a ticket for everything from J-walking to spitting on the curb.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1