"Toxic" Community?.. My thoughts, feel free to add your own!

I personally tend to want to clear missions to begin with. The whole 'one player stealths to the end then Teleport the team' bit is kind of boring after all. But yeah, I've done a few TFs over the years where skipping most of the enemies was a decidedly good idea. Only for the person with stealth and teleport other to botch the teleport order, so the fight's triggered before everyone is around, and the entire room has been engaged.

• Like 1

If they do anything like I do, it's not that we're ignoring people in Help chat asking for help. We merely take it to PM since the general conversations in the channel are so fast paced, any advice might be missed. So sending a PM ensures the message is seen.

I have encountered no mean, self-entitled  or rude folks since I have been playing. It's bound to happen, but the reason that they stick out like a sore thumb is because so many people are just PLAYING AND HAVING FUN. Sort of like looking at a beautiful painting and then seeing a big ugly splotch right in the middle...you see only the splotch, not the whole painting for a bit. The painting is still beautiful. Focus on that and not the mark. Most likely that mark will go away, either by cleaning or letting it fade.

This community is NOT toxic, only a few of the folks that play are, and I suspect they are that way in the real world also. The CoH community has always been one of the best, filled with clever, fun and awesome people, and there are more of them than trolls and troublemakers. Have fun, folks!

be-excellent.gif[/url]

BECAUSE

wah-redoldeng.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

I see very small things in game -- LF 2 more for TF NO WARSHADES ALLOWED type stuff.

Where I see the cyanide is in the forums - again a minority, they just get more attention and have an easy time spreading vitriol.

The COH community as a whole has always been helpful, friendly and considerate. We all just need to remember that the best way to deal with trolls is to not feed them as you are not able to reason, compromise, or find middle ground at all. Hungry trolls move on.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I see very small things in game -- LF 2 more for TF NO WARSHADES ALLOWED type stuff.

Where I see the cyanide is in the forums - again a minority, they just get more attention and have an easy time spreading vitriol.

The COH community as a whole has always been helpful, friendly and considerate. We all just need to remember that the best way to deal with trolls is to not feed them as you are not able to reason, compromise, or find middle ground at all. Hungry trolls move on.

To be fair, warshades appear to be more popular then peacebringers right now. And on a full team at high difficulty settings a cyst crystal spawn can be lethal. I've seen so many Terra Volta trials fail because of a cyst spawn or two which people didn't notice fast enough. And since cyst crystals only spawn if there's a keld on the team, I can understand a team running a difficult or tedious TF not wanting any kelds to join.

That, and playing a keld well (especially a warshade) takes a LOT more skill then any other class. Plus specialized macros and binds which not everyone will look up how to make.

Never seen anyone else be "toxic", worst is people who dont respond when soliciting.

In defense of non-responders, (assuming you're talking about sending tells to see if a player wants to join up, and they don't answer) I find the constantly-scrolling chat window distracting and so I frequently collapse it while I'm on a mission. So I don't see tells and, depending on how much combat I'm in the middle of and how much noise it's making, I might not hear the beep.

To be fair, warshades appear to be more popular then peacebringers right now. And on a full team at high difficulty settings a cyst crystal spawn can be lethal. I've seen so many Terra Volta trials fail because of a cyst spawn or two which people didn't notice fast enough. And since cyst crystals only spawn if there's a keld on the team, I can understand a team running a difficult or tedious TF not wanting any kelds to join.

That, and playing a keld well (especially a warshade) takes a LOT more skill then any other class. Plus specialized macros and binds which not everyone will look up how to make.

People intentionally excluding Khelds are doing us all favor. They are showing themselves to definitely be a poor team leader, and there is a good chance they are also a control freak and/or just bad player. So it helps me decide which teams and leaders to bail on ASAP.

• Like 1

People intentionally excluding Khelds are doing us all favor. They are showing themselves to definitely be a poor team leader, and there is a good chance they are also a control freak and/or just bad player. So it helps me decide which teams and leaders to bail on ASAP.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just can also see the reasoning why a team leader might exclude kelds from a TF they are running. As a responsible Warshade player I have a custom target keybind (on numpad /) to target any void hunters, quantum gunners, or cyst crystals within sight that are still alive. And I'll use it to multiple times before engaging a group to cycle through and see if there's any troublesome enemies among them. Especially important for me with Void Hunters and Quantum Gunners since if I don't spot them and deal with them first, they will wreck me. If I'm in a team and my targeting keybind selects a cyst crystal, I hit another keymind to say in team chat "CYST CRYSTAL! Target through me, we need to kill it FAST!" And when I first join a team, I'll ask if everyone is aware of the keld special enemy mobs. If not, I explain about cyst crystals and why they are priority number one if one spawns. I also use macros to switch my power tray when shifting to nova or dwarf from and a few other keybinds or macros that help improve my gameplay.

On the other hand, just yesterday I was teaming with a warshade who kept getting caught by surprise by every quantum gunner or void hunter we encountered. He had no idea about what a cyst crystal is or why it's dangerous, despite having just done the HEAT mission arc (with me helping him) that introduces them. And every time he switched forms he had to take a moment or two to manually switch power trays by clicking on the arrows. He didn't even know that there's default keybinds for switching power trays.

If I'm in a team and my targeting keybind selects a cyst crystal, I hit another keymind to say in team chat "CYST CRYSTAL! Target through me, we need to kill it FAST!"

I mostly solo due to my abysmal network ping (I don't want to drag teams down with my bad performance), so I've never had a chance to learn a lot of the tricks in teaming. However, I'm curious... how do you target *through* someone else?

If I'm in a team and my targeting keybind selects a cyst crystal, I hit another keymind to say in team chat "CYST CRYSTAL! Target through me, we need to kill it FAST!"

I mostly solo due to my abysmal network ping (I don't want to drag teams down with my bad performance), so I've never had a chance to learn a lot of the tricks in teaming. However, I'm curious... how do you target *through* someone else?

If you select another player you will attack whatever enemy they are targeting.

• 1 year later

Despite the perpetrators tendency to claim "it's all my fault" I have been the victim of quite a lot of harrassment, bullying, and outright lies and rumor spreading on Everlasting on Homecoming. As a result i outright quit playing.

The first few months on HC were great and the only time I can say the community was actually above average for online games in general.

Unfortunately all the wrong people ended up in positions of power, running the TF channels and so forth, and it's now impossible for me to enjoy the game as I am the one they decided to focus their perverse attacks and rumor manufacturing capacity on.

I've only wanted to get along and be friends, but what I encountered was that people would simply provoke me until I snapped, then turn around and blame it all on me, completely and conviniently ignoring everything  surrounding my having any kind of outburst.

If I had been treated as I tried my best to treat others from the start, I would still be happily playing still singing the praises of COH homecoming. Now? I advise people to STAY AWAY becuase it is not a place for mature, free thinking adult human beings. At least not on Everlasting, which unfortunately seems to be the only place people try and RP.

I wish so dearly I could give the game another chance becuase hope springs eternal and I wanted to like it so much. But community is everything and this one has -NOT- been kind to me. What other people say is irrelevant for my case. I have been treated poorly and that does not require others to agree with me to be true. I have been abused by many on my server, and they show no signs of any willingness to change, in fact most of them block me after their abuses so I can't even point out how poorly they've behaved.

I tried to offer the olive branch, it was burned in front of me. I would still offer it, but no one wants it.

Edited by ZeeHero
  • Like 1

So . . . putting this out there for everyone to consider, and potentially discuss (although I do wish to encourage everyone to be gentle with their replies, as it's easily delicate subject matter):

What is our duty of care in situations where a player is having serious difficulty fitting in with the community or any of the sub-communities which exist within this game's playerbase?  What lines do we draw, and why?  

Obviously, no one is legally obligated to do anything, except (in some jurisdictions) avoid bullying another player.  Within the Code of Conduct, we definitely have clear lines we're not supposed to cross, and some lines which are less clear, but GMs act as the mediators in those more ambiguous situations.

But outside of those limits, as a community, what is the extent that we feel we need to help other members have an enjoyable experience?  Is it simply a matter of playing the game the way we enjoy it, and if we stumble across like-minded players, that's it?  Or should we attempt to step outside our personal comfort zones from time to time in an effort to let different players know they're welcome too?

Just now, ZeeHero said:

You don't consider being in charge of the biggest channels for forming TFs and itrials a sort of "power" ?

Nope. Because it's all pretendy fun time games. With thousands of concurrent players in the game at any time, and the ability of ANYONE that so desires to being able to open up the team window and start forming a team themselves at any time, no. There is no "power" here.

Anything else is just whatever "power" YOU give to "them".

Now if there's an actual violation of the server's Code of Conduct, report them, put them on ignore and then be done with it. Then they lose all "power" over you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
I'm out.

• City Council

I'm going to quote myself here:

On 9/29/2020 at 12:18 PM, Jimmy said:

Concerning behaviour needs to be reported with dates, times, and names - or we simply won't know it's happening. Again, we don't comment on specific cases, but we absolutely do investigate and take the necessary actions when things are actually reported. I know this because I can actually see the tickets coming in and the investigations / actions that follow. Additionally, you should also never feel bad about reporting something multiple times if it continues or is repeated at a later date. The more information you can give us, the better.

This isn't necessarily a dig at you not reporting (I won't publicly comment on if you have or haven't), just in general it's not at all helpful to claim on the forums or on Discord that stuff happened at some point. This isn't an uncommon claim that's made, and it's incredibly counterproductive not only due to the lack of detail that's usually included (meaning we can't really investigate anything), but it also creates this false narrative that reports aren't investigated, which may discourage players from reporting things in the future.

And also the Code of Conduct:

Please also be aware that if you report another player we will not discuss the actions that we take against them (if any) with you. Any actions taken are only discussed with the player in question and are considered confidential unless that player requests otherwise.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

9 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

You don't consider being in charge of the biggest channels for forming TFs and itrials a sort of "power" ?

How does one get in charge of the LFG channel?

• Thanks 2

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.