How to Make Millions on the Market in Minutes

Robotech_Master

2 hours ago, Garble said:

Does Echo: Atlas Park even have badges? And if it did wouldn't they be the same as Atlas Park proper?

Yes, it has its own unique set of exploration badges, as well as a badge for collecting all the exploration badges therein. There's even a badge if you collect all the exploration badges in both Atlas Park and Echo: Atlas Park.

3 hours ago, Garble said:

Does Echo: Atlas Park even have badges? And if it did wouldn't they be the same as Atlas Park proper?

As someone already noted, it has its own set of badges; if you load Vidiotmaps and go there, you'll see.

All the zones that have been considerably changed over the years have Echoes of their original versions, and their own distinct sets of badges and plaques. Sometimes these are the ones that were formerly in the current "live" version of the zone but have been relocated, with new badges invented for the current version of the zone (every so often you see someone asking where such-and-such badge is in Rikti War Zone that they have to be told is now in Echo: Rikti Crash Site); other times new badges were invented for the Echo instead.

Anyway, I'm kind of ashamed it took me this long to realize those would make an additional 10 Merits available to starting players who do the work. But I finally did, and updated accordingly.

• Like 1

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

This method still works, up to about 100mil in 3 days casually doing this. Favorite part is that you aren't ripping anyone off, your just capitalizing on the fact that people are either ignorant but still want the best stuff or don't want to make IO's because they would rather farm the money.

• 1 month later

really interesting guide. I've not yet put it into practice (I never was a great marketeer, personally) but I have one question, directed at your final warning.

If it is so easy to make money and to get the Enhancements you want in game now, why would you need more than 2 billion inf in the first place? It seems that hoarding that amount of cash is little more than Smaugish, or have I missed something?

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

1 minute ago, Caulderone said:

You've missed Altaholism.  More Alts = more IOs needed = more cash needed.

And Hoarding like Smaug, too, probably.

Oh trust me I know all there is to know about altoholsim!

But my question stands. Say you pass over 100 mill out of your 2billion, to a new alt, that's more than enough to get your new toon started and then hey presto, Supernewguy is kitted out as you'd want him/her in short order using the above method while OriginalToon 1 goes about doing what s/he always did and gets back up to 2 bill again.

Seems that once you have 2 billion, if you're playing at all and not just making a ton of new alts, you won't realistically need more.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Well, just as with real-world money, it's nice to have a little financial security and know you don't have to worry about where the next alt's Enhancements are coming from. If you go with ATOs, Purples, and PVPs, you could easily spend 1 to 2 billion Inf per alt, and stocking up ahead of time means you don't have to worry about taking time out of leveling your new alt to marketeer at the point you need it. Just bid, grab, slot, and go.

Also, having a lot of Inf on hand makes it easy to do nice things for other people. If a friend is getting into the game, I could fund his first toon. And sometimes I like buying super packs and handing them out to lowbies. 🙂

• Like 1

@darkwing, take the extra step of converting to a different rare.

image.png.340658d7ec2c7e9ef75558fafc22cd3c.png

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 minutes ago, Troo said:

@darkwing, take the extra step of converting to a different rare.

image.png.340658d7ec2c7e9ef75558fafc22cd3c.png

Yeah, the great thing about purples is that they always convert to another purple, so if you can't sell one, try converting it to a different one.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

16 minutes ago, DarkWing said:

I have been trying to follow this and converted a couple of Malaise Illusions from perplex recipes but it takes a while to sell, it's been like 2 weeks but some have sold. Is this how it is supposed to work? Or is this a bad enhancement to sell?

A simple rule of thumb is to ask yourself, "Is this an IO that I personally have a lot of demand for?"

In general, confuse IOs aren't that popular compared to how often they drop or turn up in random rolls.

You are definitely on the right track though.  Converting uncommon IOs into rares is usually the first step.  Then once you have a rare IO, as mentioned above by @Troo, you can convert by rare and end up with something that might be more marketable.  From there, you may want to convert either by category, by rarity, or by set until you get where you would like to be.

Let's look at an example:  You start with a Perplex IO, then convert by category (Confusion) and get a Malaise.  You can try to sell that.  Or maybe you convert by rarity and end up with a Reactive Defenses E/R.  From there, you may want to try to sell that, or convert it by category to try for a Luck of the Gambler, or convert it by set to get the +res proc in Reactive Defenses.  I'd probably convert by category (Defense) until you get a Luck of the Gambler.  Let's say you get a D/E/R.  You can then either try and sell that, or convert it by set to get a +7.5%.  There's chance in this, sure, but the RNG seems to be fair.  

Your true Zen as a cowman comes when these decisions (none of which are wrong, I might add) are second nature.

Happy hunting!

Who run Bartertown?

6 hours ago, DarkWing said:

I have been trying to follow this and converted a couple of Malaise Illusions from perplex recipes but it takes a while to sell, it's been like 2 weeks but some have sold. Is this how it is supposed to work? Or is this a bad enhancement to sell?

As the others have said, you should go ahead and convert it to another rare. Once you have another rare, drag it to the auction house, then click "find" on it a few times to see how much the last few sales are for. If it's not going for at least 2 million, it's not really worth listing. Take it back out of the market, try again. Just keep doing that until you hit on something that sells.

The highest demand sets tend to be damage resist or  defense. However, some healing, endurance modification, and other sets have procs within them that go for decent amounts. What I do is I convert within rarity until I hit on something that I know is just a few jumps away from something valuable, then convert within category or within set until I have that specific Enhancement. It may burn through a lot of converters, but it averages out to a decent profit.

• Like 1

Just started 3 days ago with 100 million and now have 1 billion selling most from 2 mill to 5 mill each. I did have a lot of enhancements crafted already in my base so I used those with converters.  At one point there was a unique IO with no sales I got rid of a few at 10 mill but now there's around 30 for sale and it dropped to around 5 mill. I have been using AE tickets and grabbing the bronze reward roll level 30-35. Probably costs more to craft all of them then convert, but I am still getting ahead. I still have round 70 waiting to be sold at this point.

Not sure if there is an answer but when you post something for the going rate and it keeps selling at that price does the sale go to the posted date? Like whoever posts it first?

Also if you post something for 1, does the lower or higher bid get it?

There also seems to be a glitch I noticed with Miracle +recovery. When I first crafted it, the history was at around 10 to 15 million. So I posted it at 10 million. When it didn't sell I checked again and they were at around 5 mill. But if I refreshed the find button it would cycle between these two histories, but only the lower history was of course selling. Even at this moment it shows selling at 10 mill and one at 5 mill as well the other history of 15 mill.

Also thanks for the guide!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darg said:

Just started 3 days ago with 100 million and now have 1 billion selling most from 2 mill to 5 mill each. I did have a lot of enhancements crafted already in my base so I used those with converters.  At one point there was a unique IO with no sales I got rid of a few at 10 mill but now there's around 30 for sale and it dropped to around 5 mill. I have been using AE tickets and grabbing the bronze reward roll level 30-35. Probably costs more to craft all of them then convert, but I am still getting ahead. I still have round 70 waiting to be sold at this point.

Not sure if there is an answer but when you post something for the going rate and it keeps selling at that price does the sale go to the posted date? Like whoever posts it first?

Also if you post something for 1, does the lower or higher bid get it?

There also seems to be a glitch I noticed with Miracle +recovery. When I first crafted it, the history was at around 10 to 15 million. So I posted it at 10 million. When it didn't sell I checked again and they were at around 5 mill. But if I refreshed the find button it would cycle between these two histories, but only the lower history was of course selling. Even at this moment it shows selling at 10 mill and one at 5 mill as well the other history of 15 mill.

Also thanks for the guide!

Miracle and a handful of other crafted enhancements suffer from a display bug in that it shows very high sale prices sometimes that aren’t reality.  

Also I’ve found it’s helpful to level lock a toon at 25 and then go run a few farms with my second account farmer for tickets once a week.  6000 tickets equals about 100 lvl 10-30 bronze roll recipes.  Most can be crafted for under 60K total and sold for 2M-4M after only a few converters.  

So for 15 mins of farming you can reap about 250-300MM in crafted, flipped low level recipes.  Takes some time beyond that to craft and sell but about best you can do these days.

• Thanks 1

I have finally started to convert things and that is a silly easy way to make influence. 

Quick question though.  Is There a way to set it to Res IOs (or whatever type) and have it stay there till I want it changed or do I need to select the option each time. 

I suspect it is each time but figured i should check. 

20 minutes ago, Sakai said:

I have finally started to convert things and that is a silly easy way to make influence. 

Quick question though.  Is There a way to set it to Res IOs (or whatever type) and have it stay there till I want it changed or do I need to select the option each time. 

I suspect it is each time but figured i should check. 

Have to hit that drop down each and every time.  You’ll forget now and then and waste some converters.

Well I should say every time other than when you are flipping Event IO’s.

Edited by Crysis
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cende said:

Thank you for this guide. I'm wiling to go slowly on this (patience isn't an issue for me), but it's so very nice to not be broke for the first thirty levels or so of any given character. 🙂

Isn't it just? Knowing I'll never again have to worry about obtaining the exact Enhancements I want for any new character I make removes a whole lot of frustration from the game for me.

• Like 1

I wonder if every time this thread gets bumped prices seem to lower.  The other week I had no problem making 100s of million a day. But most enhancement prices have dropped since I started. Maybe if I keep my listings the same and just wait it out instead of posting lower and lower. Idk I will probably take a break and see what happens.  Hopefully I did not flood the market too much.

I'd tend to blame that more on there being a bit of deflation on the market right now. Partly because the amount of money farmers can make took a bit of a pay cut in the recent patch that disabled an exploit some were using to make out like bandits, and partly because the weekly strike for the last few weeks has included the Shadow Shard TFs, which provide a huge chunk of Reward Merits even before being doubled. That drives the price of converters down, which can in turn drive the cost of converted Enhancements down.

As I say in the guide, you should always check current market conditions when you make your conversion decisions. But I haven't had much trouble making at least money out of converting lately, even now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1