How to Make Millions on the Market in Minutes

Robotech_Master

Just wanted to list the ones I have used to io out 15 chars, the first one I farmed on it and it took way too long (sorting through recipes and crafting takes forever). So I never did any farming again. I should have around 4 bil left on my characters and haven't played in awhile so thought I would try to help a little.

Buy generic glad recipe, convert to Gladiator armor proc: have to sell when they deplete for like 14 to 15m a pop.

Shield wall proc: same.

Buy recipe, Convert generic Kismet to

kismet acc proc: sell when around 4m and a half or so. Sometimes you can see them sell for 6m when depleted.

Unbreakable guard recipes: some are are good straight out buys. Though they were starting to get overpriced.

41 defense recipe, convert to lotg, then to anything other than with recharge in enh. Takes a ton of time and fun. So only do this if you have time and need money now.

Buy generic gladiator's javalin and proc/all recipes, convert to proc or all effects. Takes a bit of time to sell but they will.

Just for giggles, I tried my bootstrapping instructions with one of my new characters. Started at level 1, hadn't defeated a single mob.

With Beast Run and Jump Pack, scooped up all the badges from Atlas, Echo: Galaxy, and Echo: Atlas for 15 total Reward Merits. Bought 45 Converters with them. Used Inner Inspiration to get three Inspirations, which I sold for 160 Inf each—ample to list five converters on the market at an ask of 1 Inf each. They sold for about 60,000 Inf each, landing me about 330K Inf.

I bought one Level 41 Undermined Defenses: Def Debuff/End Reduc recipe for 60,000 Inf, and the ingredients for a total of 51,200 Inf more. Crafted for 121,260. Converted to rare, then converted through rare. After several jumps I landed on a LotG, which I was able to convert to the global recharge proc through a couple jumps more. Listed for 1 Inf; sold for 6,255,555 Inf (less 10% auction fee).

So now I have 5,722,025 Inf, and still have 30 converters left out of the original 45. After crafting, converting, and selling just one Enhancement. Bootstrapped up from nothing, without defeating one single mob

I wish I'd known about this when I first logged in, it would have been fun to create all that wealth out of nothing at all. I guess I'll just have to settle for helping other new people do it instead. 🙂

unknown.png

Edited by Robotech_Master
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

4 hours ago, Robotech_Master said:

Just for giggles, I tried my bootstrapping instructions with one of my new characters. Started at level 1, hadn't defeated a single mob.

With Beast Run and Jump Pack, scooped up all the badges from Atlas, Echo: Galaxy, and Echo: Atlas for 15 total Reward Merits. Bought 45 Converters with them. Used Inner Inspiration to get three Inspirations, which I sold for 160 Inf each—ample to list five converters on the market at an ask of 1 Inf each. They sold for about 60,000 Inf each, landing me about 330K Inf.

I bought one Level 41 Undermined Defenses: Def Debuff/End Reduc recipe for 60,000 Inf, and the ingredients for a total of 51,200 Inf more. Crafted for 121,260. Converted to rare, then converted through rare. After several jumps I landed on a LotG, which I was able to convert to the global recharge proc through a couple jumps more. Listed for 1 Inf; sold for 6,255,555 Inf (less 10% auction fee).

So now I have 5,722,025 Inf, and still have 30 converters left out of the original 45. After crafting, converting, and selling just one Enhancement. Bootstrapped up from nothing, without defeating one single mob

I wish I'd known about this when I first logged in, it would have been fun to create all that wealth out of nothing at all. I guess I'll just have to settle for helping other new people do it instead. 🙂

unknown.png

It's great, isn't it?

You might want to caveat this by saying that you had statistically a very favorable outcome in this example to get to the LotG 7.5%, which is arguably the most expensive non-special set IO.  You started with an IO that was guaranteed to transform into a rare with two converters, so that was a smart start.  But rolling by rare to a LotG in just a roll or two was very unlikely, and from a non-7.5% LotG, it's an average of 5 rolls at 3 converters a pop.  I just don't want readers to expect this sort of result every time.  

Who run Bartertown?

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

It's great, isn't it?

You might want to caveat this by saying that you had statistically a very favorable outcome in this example to get to the LotG 7.5%, which is arguably the most expensive non-special set IO.  You started with an IO that was guaranteed to transform into a rare with two converters, so that was a smart start.  But rolling by rare to a LotG in just a roll or two was very unlikely, and from a non-7.5% LotG, it's an average of 5 rolls at 3 converters a pop.  I just don't want readers to expect this sort of result every time.  

True enough, I did get pretty lucky. Though in part I set myself up to be lucky, because I've done enough random rare conversions that there are actually several categories with moderately to decently lucrative set elements that I know to look for, and I was pretty sure I could expect to hit one of them before those converters ran out. The LotG proc, Power Transfer Chance to Heal, Performance Shifter +Endurance, Preventative Medicine Absorb, various of the Resist Damage sets, and so on. 

Generally speaking, the way any inexperienced newbie should do it would be to convert a few Undermined Defenses to Touch of Lady Gray and just list those. That turns about 200,000 Inf of expenditure into something worth about 1 million, and once they do that a few times they'd be in the same place as I was after just the one.

Then, once they have a few million, they could do what I've done since: buy a Red Fortune recipe for about 1.2 to 1.5 million, craft it, then roll it through Defense until they get a LotG, then roll the LotG until they get the proc (or LotG: Defense, which goes for nearly as much—though any LotG would sell for at least a couple million, so if they didn't have enough converters to risk multiple conversions they could still make a decent profit there.) Then buy two or three such recipes at once, then ten, then so on. Once you're mass-converting LotG procs, your take goes up by leaps and bounds.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Robotech_Master said:

giphy.gif

Got up to 56 million Inf with 247 Converters on hand before I got tired of virtuously building up from scratch and dipped into my character items for a bunch of ATOs from Super Packs to sell and kit out with. But I'm happy to see that it is still feasible to work your way up from scratch if you're starting from zero.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DarkWing said:

Has listing it for 1 inf ever been disasterous for you? I know this has risks.

Has for me many times when I was farming.  I’d sell almost everything other than the really valuable recipes for 1 influence and a few times that’s exactly what was paid...1 influence or close to it.

Ive oddly seen this work the other way though.  I don’t know how or the circumstances as I was offline at the time but I often have a bunch of bids sitting on 1 influence as means of triggering the actual last five (bug sometimes won’t display anything until you place a bid).  More than a few times I’ve picked up really high priced IO’s or even a Winter Pack for 1 influence.  I didn’t think the market worked this way but apparently it happens.

On 5/2/2020 at 6:35 PM, DarkWing said:

Has listing it for 1 inf ever been disasterous for you? I know this has risks.

Not often for me, but then, I wouldn't list just everything for 1 Inf. When you list something for 1 Inf, you get whatever the highest bid is that's too low to be met by any item currently listed. The only time I specifically recommend it is for when you need fast cash when you're just starting out. Things like Enhancement Converters, which are in high-enough demand that there's always a wide range of bids in place, will almost always give an okay return when you sell them at 1 Inf each. Likewise, high-demand items like LotG global recharge procs will have enough bids in that, even if you don't make as much profit as you might like on a sale, listing one at 1 Inf will still almost certainly net you more than you spent crafting and converting to it.

But you do run across lower-volume items, like Enhancements that aren't in as much demand, that show sale histories like

That 600,000 is almost certainly someone listing at a much lower price than the current slow-selling going rate—either 1 inf, or they typed 500,000 when they meant to type 5,000,000 putting it up for sale—and there were few enough bids currently in that the highest low bid was way outside that going rate. Which is why I wouldn't recommend listing at 1 for just anything, unless you're really impatient. A good compromise is listing your sales at 1 million—that way, you'll at least make some profit even if the lowest current high bid is well below that going rate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later

Just wanted to thank you for this guide - hit the 100 million mark just now, after about 2 days worth of converting (maybe a total of ~3 hours actually spent doing the conversions and not just waiting for things to sell), with several million more still being sold, after having started fresh on the server ~a week ago. Just spent about an hour burning through 250 converters, so I'm hoping the results from that will leave me with enough to at least kit out my first character once she hits 50 (Probably *not* with full luck of the gambler, though...).

One other thing I've found that helps is running Summer BlockBuster - the IO reward at the end reliably sells for ~10 million, which I assume won't be worth it for the time once I get good enough at converting, but is fantastic for getting started and/or as a way to constructively burn time ingame while waiting for things to sell. 

• 4 weeks later

I think this guide is great! And kudos to the topic creator for the solid, sound tips! Just thought I'd add my extra cents in as well, primarily to those who are looking to make money via the market!

Between May 2019-January 2020, I've made more than 20 billion inf (no exaggeration), and and I'd say 20% was through game content/running incarnate trials and 80% was made through the market.  I ran alot of game events on Everlasting, and people would constantly ask me how I made money that easily. Some even accused me of hacking the game/cheating. None of which are true. And btw, I never earned money via fire farming or manipulating the market (hoarding/selling super high). All profit done via market. 

From my experience, making lots of money, really fast in the market is more of a "you need money to make money" method. I made 80% of my 20 billion primarily through super/winter packs and purple conversion. But there are certain principles you have to look for in order to do it correctly. One of those is observing the supply/demand numbers.

EXAMPLE: When HC first launched, fire farming via brutes was HUGE! Every individual and their grandmother jumped on the firefarming wagon. So naturally firefarming=brutes=lvl 50=Brute purple ATOs. I got a brute to lvl 50, made him entirely empty of enh, and just supplied him with a ton of converters/catalysts. And I would keep converting till I got Brute ATOs. Back then, the demand was HIGH and they were selling nearly 25m per. If I got a super pack containing two ATOs, and converted them to Brutes, It was close to (Put 10m in, sell close to 43-47m inf; make around 40m profit per super hero pack). Each week I would make around 600-800m just through Brute ATOs. Why do I share this? Currently Brute ATOs ratio is LOW, people are not making Brutes as much as they first did when HC came out, so the supply is there, but not the demand. Carefully watch the market, look where the demand is high, find a way to fill the supply; and remember you need money to make money.

2nd method, I used winter packs. At first Winter ATOs were not in high demand, but around Fall 2019, people began noticing them alot more and buying them. Primarily Avalanche enh. Using the same method with the Brute ATOs, I would poor billions into whole bunch of Winter packs, have a lvl 50 blaster (all empty enh, supply him with converters/catalysts), and would just make profit. Winter packs cost 25m each, back in Fall 2019, avalanche would sell about 40m each. So if I got a winter pack with 2 Enh, I could sell those for around 80m (80-25m= 55m profit). Plus, the extra stuff you got in the packs would just be extras for less cash (e.g. boosters). As far as last I checked, Avalanche enh are still in the upper demand, but they sell far less now (around 30m; unsure why). KEY NOTES:  Watch supply/demand (if demand is higher than supply, you found potential gold mine), find a cost-efficient way to fill that supply, and you need money to make money. 

Great thing about the market method vs fire farming, is it would take me about 30ish min to get all my prep work done for converting/catalyst combining and then selling them on market. So to me, its alot faster than the market, and I can usually jump right into game content while simultaneously having my stuff sell on the market. If they ever come out with a new AT, you can best best everybody and their grandma will be pouring cash into those new AT enhancements. 

Edited by CU_Krow
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 12:30 PM, CU_Krow said:

I think this guide is great! And kudos to the topic creator for the solid, sound tips! [snip] If they ever come out with a new AT, you can best best everybody and their grandma will be pouring cash into those new AT enhancements. 

Hey, thanks for the kind words. And what you said just there at the end inspired me to add a new section to my guide, toward the end, counselling folks to watch what comes out on the test servers for possible future opportunities when they hit the live ones. 🙂

• Like 1