One Wish Granted (COV/COH) (WWYW2021)

Troo

On 3/9/2021 at 8:31 AM, DreadShinobi said:

Remove incarnate level shifts.

My wish would go further than that, and be to remove all Incarnate slots except Alpha from the game. Alpha can keep its level shift, but it only applies in Incarnate content.  

Then: rebalance the Incarnate trials to take into account the lack of higher slots, stop threads and incarnate XP dropping in the normal game, get rid of the Vet level thread and Emp rewards, and rework the Shadow Shard to be a second Incarnate zone along the lines of DA, with soloable Incarnate arcs.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

55 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

stop threads and incarnate XP dropping in the normal game, get rid of the Vet level thread and Emp rewards, and rework the Shadow Shard to be a second Incarnate zone along the lines of DA, with soloable Incarnate arcs.

If any of this leads us back to the rotten ol' "do these handful of missions repeatedly forever to have any access to any of this stuff" then no, no no.  Everyone sitting in Pocket D with their 50s trying to get those precious few drops from those very few extant Incarnate TFs basically killed the game for me back in the day, because I couldn't find anyone to team with unless, you know, I was running a 50 and wanted to go sit in Pocket D (there are a few more details to this story, but they're unnecessary to understand my point).

• Like 3

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

My big ask is to implement the system I proposed where players create radio mish level missions for the game using AE. Make it as close to 'drag and drop' the missions from AE into the game using my suggestions (somewhere in the AE forums and other places).

The Dev resources are very limited and this would be a good way of adding new and unique things to the game. I've done the radios and papers etc so much that they're on full repeat these days as are many of the TFs, SFs etc. I'm not playing nearly as much now due to the repetition. I know that's how it goes for games and a break is in order. However, will there be new missions etc to do when I come back? I don't think it's likely to see much added anytime soon. Let's use the players and AE to make some new missions and throw them into game as much as possible. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BurtHutt said:

My big ask is to implement the system I proposed where players create radio mish level missions for the game using AE. Make it as close to 'drag and drop' the missions from AE into the game using my suggestions (somewhere in the AE forums and other places).

The Dev resources are very limited and this would be a good way of adding new and unique things to the game. I've done the radios and papers etc so much that they're on full repeat these days as are many of the TFs, SFs etc. I'm not playing nearly as much now due to the repetition. I know that's how it goes for games and a break is in order. However, will there be new missions etc to do when I come back? I don't think it's likely to see much added anytime soon. Let's use the players and AE to make some new missions and throw them into game as much as possible. 🙂

From what I understand, AE mission making and regular mission making are done entirely differently and wholly incompatible.  Think Microsoft Excel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Apparition said:

From what I understand, AE mission making and regular mission making are done entirely differently and wholly incompatible.  Think Microsoft Excel.

I know.

I tried to link my proposal here but for some reason I can't find it. Anyway, I suggested making new contacts that are actually just connected to the AE but are outside of any AE (a cosmetic change that makes it seem like it isn't an AE mission). However, only Devs can add to these new contacts (again, that would be physically located outside of AE). So, they could get player submissions on a mish, approve it and then put it in this new contact. Kinda like drag and drop. These materials would be canon and offer rewards etc like a normal mish (drops etc). So, it'll be like a pile of new radio/paper missions added to the game on a very frequent basis. 

If this works ok then Devs can start accepting arcs from the players and having unique contacts for that arc. 

The limited Dev resources can't add a lot of new things to do. We all know that. However, this might be a good way to add to game without taxing the Dev resources.

Edited by BurtHutt

On 3/10/2021 at 5:28 PM, BurtHutt said:

I know.

I tried to link my proposal here but for some reason I can't find it. Anyway, I suggested making new contacts that are actually just connected to the AE but are outside of any AE (a cosmetic change that makes it seem like it isn't an AE mission). However, only Devs can add to these new contacts (again, that would be physically located outside of AE). So, they could get player submissions on a mish, approve it and then put it in this new contact. Kinda like drag and drop. These materials would be canon and offer rewards etc like a normal mish (drops etc). So, it'll be like a pile of new radio/paper missions added to the game on a very frequent basis. 

If this works ok then Devs can start accepting arcs from the players and having unique contacts for that arc. 

The limited Dev resources can't add a lot of new things to do. We all know that. However, this might be a good way to add to game without taxing the Dev resources.

This sound reasonable to you?  It's all about leveraging what we have.

I mean this notion came about after discussing this with you previously!

Edited by Darmian

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

19 hours ago, Replacement said:

CoH2

Wish granted!!..

..as soon as I win the lottery.

• Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

There's soooo much I'd want to wish and ask for so it's really really really REALLY hard to pin down or even word broadly. So I'm going to cheat and technically make two wishes.

Total revamp of the PvE experience dealing with mobs and missions.

New powers, new looks, tidied up lore, improved story contacts, and new maps to battle them on. It wouldn't be easy, of course not since it's such a broad thing, but this area would give quite a new life to the game and bring back some of the challenge. Partly by, you know, giving Incarnates more to do than faceroll through content never made for them. Some ideas include:

• Related to the above 'Incarnate/Hard mode' of level 50 TFs/SFs. Admittedly it wouldn't be much of a change to the stories and missions (at least not stuff that wouldn't change the normal mode*) beyond just beefing up the enemies to Incarnate level and in a few exceptions maybe include throwing on some new powers to old AVs (try to tank Recluse just by hiding on the lamp posts? think again! he now has a foe teleport that doesn't require line of sight and autohits!).

*Probably sole exception would be trying to find SOME WAY to make an Incarnate level ITF involve fighting one of those giant mechmen because I'm tired of being teased of their existence!

• Your favorite mobs able to now scale to 50 so your street level hero can stay street level. (I mean, let's face it, right now Rikti Chief soldiers have two attack powers that have KB and stun while Fake Nemesis have three four powers, two of which are support abilities that don't do much, and they're both considered level 50 threats while Bone daddies and Damned posses a lot more abilities)
  • New map types: Office buildings (that make sense!), Nemesis bases (in factory, airship, and seaship forms!), wild areas without war walls or Croatoa's obnoxious yellow glow!, more mansions and private residences in general, shopping mall interiors (yes, they're not really a thing these days but still), construction sites, hotels/apartment buildings, and more!

On 3/8/2021 at 7:14 AM, nihilii said:

Rebalance of XP/inf/droprate given per mob on a case-by-case basis, according to their difficulty.

For true pie-in-the-sky dream, add an automatic weekly rebalance based on what content the playerbase is running as a whole. i.e. if 1 billion council mobs have been killed this week and only 1 million rularuu, rularuu rewards would increase.

Rationale? This would give incentive to experience all the content. With some dynamic aspect to what content you're going to run on any particular day, too. The introduction of weekly TFs was IMHO the best feature of the game. To this day you can see it's a powerful motivator to get people to run that content, without harmstringing other activities either. So I would go further in that direction.

This is a great idea.  At least the root of it.  If people are farming in ae for the rewards why not increase other playstyle rewards to encourage diversity.

Easy wish?  A way to filter out costume pieces I don't like and never again want to see when I make a costume.  Shameful secret: I hate making costumes,  I'm REALLY bad at it.  If I could cycle through the shoulders and belts and boots without seeing skulls and spikes and all the other things I will not ever use, it would make my life so much better.

Easier wish? A way to filter out map types in radio/newspaper missions.  Please.  No more purple caves.  ever.

Easiest wish?  Orange color for my ice powers. Is that so much to ask? I just fu**ing love orange.

Extremely hard and will not ever happen wish?  Adapt the combat system so there is more to life than "soft capping defense".  Every build and its sister out there is about soft capping defense.  When CoH came out, it was about six-slotting reds everywhere.  Then ED came, which to me was a godsend.  After that? The endurance situation and everyone had to fit swift/hurdle, health and they stamina in their build.  Talk about a bore.  "So what did you do at level 6?  I made my character run SLIGHTLY FASTER.  I feel heroic!" Then fitness became auto on everyone. Yay.

But still, to this day, if you're looking at anything but soft-capping defense, you're doing it wrong. The system is a one trick poney.  Mules everywhere, it feels like a donkey farm. Every time I look at a build, I'm depressed. I feel like the game forces all my character in the same direction.

What if I want a character that doesn't care to be hit because he has resistances up to the wazoo?  Or because he has a build that allows him to heal six times infinity every tick?  Or a character that has skills that come so fast that you could say he's... perma-hasten?

What?  This exists already?

You know. Examples. I suck at them.  

Or: I could play non-optimized characters and be happy with them.

Just give me my goddarn orange ice already.

• Like 1

I'd kill for a server run by the Homecoming team that implemented harder core rules around leveling, iPowers, IOs, AE farming, etc and represented a more aggressive vision of balance. I think this team is brilliant and have accomplished some amazing changes. I'd love to see their edits in a version of the game where they feel freer to express their impulses, even if I had to start over from scratch.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 6:21 PM, Darmian said:

This sound reasonable to you?  It's all about leveraging what we have.

I mean this notion came about after discussing this with you previously!

I think we're all very much on the same page, or within a page, of each other. I feel this idea should start at a base level and then add to that (arcs etc). I feel it would be quite easy to 'drag and drop' the missions into outer AE contacts. However, I don't know how difficult it would be to make these missions give out 'regular' game play rewards (drops, threads etc).

I suggested a few contacts on each side (red, blue and gold) as well as in the co-op zones - RWZ and Kallitsti. Our current radio/paper content is no a challenge for an incarnate team. I'm sure players could make some very challenging missions that could cause an incarnate team to actually think and attack with some strategery! 

It seems like it would be an easy add if the rewards conversion isn't too complex. So it'd be like:

1) player submits AE arc, write ups, background info etc

2) reviewed by Devs

3) if approved then add to the outside AE contact and change the drops/rewards accordingly. 

I'm not tech savvy so I don't know if it's easy to do. Devs can't add a lot of playable content so this seems like a good solution and could create a lot of stuff for us to play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BurtHutt said:

I think we're all very much on the same page, or within a page, of each other. I feel this idea should start at a base level and then add to that (arcs etc). I feel it would be quite easy to 'drag and drop' the missions into outer AE contacts. However, I don't know how difficult it would be to make these missions give out 'regular' game play rewards (drops, threads etc).

I suggested a few contacts on each side (red, blue and gold) as well as in the co-op zones - RWZ and Kallitsti. Our current radio/paper content is no a challenge for an incarnate team. I'm sure players could make some very challenging missions that could cause an incarnate team to actually think and attack with some strategery! 

It seems like it would be an easy add if the rewards conversion isn't too complex. So it'd be like:

1) player submits AE arc, write ups, background info etc

2) reviewed by Devs

3) if approved then add to the outside AE contact and change the drops/rewards accordingly. 

I'm not tech savvy so I don't know if it's easy to do. Devs can't add a lot of playable content so this seems like a good solution and could create a lot of stuff for us to play.

Well, Devs Choice missions in the AE already give out normal XP/drops, so clearly they can be tagged to do so.

A lot of what I put in the other post is derived from trying to think how - from an external point of view - to leverage what we have already.  Again, near enough to being on the same page here.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I don't care how: badge, salvage, recipe, TF, inf, but I wish there was a way to move one damn slot.

I hate, hate, hate having to do a full respec because I added a slot for something that it turns out the power doesn't take.

(Leadership pool, I'm looking at you!)

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Likely said already... More thematic power pools (both normal and epic). The new ones like experimentation are great and we are still missing epic pools for some themes discouraging folks from even rolling that theme in the first place if you are stuck picking from electric or dark powers or a mace or such when you get to 35. Breaking theme is major disappointment for me.

Also, I echo the customization request for more pets.

8 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

I hate, hate hate having to do a full respec because I added a slot for something that it turns out the power doesn't take

*raises hand* - have and do reroll characters entirely rather than respec, its that painful. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VashNKnives said:

More thematic power pools

Like auto fitness, auto fighting. 

Every single character, EVERY one - kick/tough/weave. 

We miss out on power pools that already exist. I for one don't take a travel power at all, by and large. 

If one thing cuts build diversity, it's this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More balanced options doesn't dissuade choice, it just adds to it. 

Any character that you make that is a scientific type can throw chemicals at baddies b/c of experimentation. Any magical character (even if ar/dev blaster) can be a sorcerer/sorceress. I take the Leaping aoe power in the superjump pool for my valkyrie...

If people min/max themselves in to a corner for every build then that is on them. The game is easy enough even solo at ×8 that concept builds are more than viable.

Edited by VashNKnives

27 minutes ago, honoroit said:

Like auto fitness, auto fighting. 

Every single character, EVERY one - kick/tough/weave. 

We miss out on power pools that already exist. I for one don't take a travel power at all, by and large. 

If one thing cuts build diversity, it's this. 

That's you. Less than 5% of my characters take any fighting pool powers.  But it is your wish.

Same goes for another's post about "soft cap defense" that "everyone" goes for.  No, not everyone. I have no characters at soft cap defense.

Next thing someone will wish for is auto Hasten. Only about 1/3 of my characters have Hasten.

In short, not everyone plays the min/max game.  I would hazard a guess that most people don't play that way, but I have no numbers to back that up.

My wish: devs ignore the power creep wishes.  A second one: stop with the wish threads.  There's a suggestion section for that.

Actual game wish: (oh so many).. another area for my 50s to street sweep saving the day of regular citizens (ala north end of Peregrine Island; that's such a small area). I detest the all-dark DA, there's also no citizens to save. I like sunshine.  Yeah, I know I'm in the minority as one that likes to street sweep (there's no tunnels, caves, or Escher-style office layouts to deal with).  Add "Round up the usual suspects" repeatable mission type to the police officer standing outside ("arrest" x number of an enemy faction, a different one each time, keeping x somewhere from 10 to 20). (I guess that's a 2nd wish). That provides a street sweeping mission. Usually I hunt the badge-worthy bad guys, but once I have the badge then it feels less satisfying afterwards to hunt for Fake Nemesis for example.  Making Warhulks explode never gets old, though.

• Like 2