Pools, all of them

3 hours ago, Moka said:

I don't think name calling is really the way to go. 

Yep, I guess you're right, it's just I can't stand ppl who have nothing at all to bring to a discussion but can't stay out of it, but yep, as you and @Archy say, nothing good comes from calling names, ty.

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

1 hour ago, Nightmarer said:

Afterburner: Just another LotG mule I guess

Presence Pool: Well, despite a couple people using it in game, I think we all can agree that it's by far weakest power pool.

We definitely don’t “all agree”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can we agree that ... in the case of Boxing / Kick maybe not having them as a mandatory pre-requisite for Tough / Weave (or maybe make that just choosing one of them fully buffs Cross Punc would be good for the game?

No.  Can't agree in the slightest.

Of all of what you listed, the only thing I can say "eh, yeah" is that jump kick needs help. *Maybe* flurry. Give them the "buff if there's another power in the pool" treatment. Or maybe if you take them both. And again with air superiority (which is honestly fine on its own.)

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Yep, I guess you're right, it's just I can't stand ppl who have nothing at all to bring to a discussion but can't stay out of it, but yep, as you and @Archy say, nothing good comes from calling names, ty.

Most of us have had this same discussion so many times before there's nothing else to bring but a little levity.

• Like 3

I will chime in and say @Nightmarer that Thunderspy server has done almost exactly what you are suggesting. They have also removed the T1 requirement from your initial secondary power. IMO, remove the extraneous powers that NO ONE wants. e.g, "punch"/ "kick", and the prerequisite powers for mastery/ patron sets. I personally see no reason why we should be gimped in our power choices.

• Like 2

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

I think expanding pools to 5 rather than 4 could be a good experiment at the least. Making more pool powers inherent? I can't really agree on that, especially with some of the more powerful pool powers.

I also agree that some of the pools need a little extra something, but I think we have to be frank with ourselves; some pools are simply going to be more desirable than others, and without severely tipping the scales of balance it would be impossible to make them all equally desirable.

• Like 4

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

OK, I guess most of the vocal forumites are happy with things as they are so, well, at least I tried. I've been accused of wanting free Hasten and free Combat Jumping, of making pointless statements, of wanting def softcap from lvl one and of wanting to do unplayable builds with 1 power of each pool, none of them are the case but hey, this is the internet  and things are what they are. At least I hope devs noticed some ppl would like to see a few changes in pool powers and some others are happy as things are. Will keep trying until finally a common ground is found so maybe devs might get a good idea of where allocate time when possible. Some excellent (always in my opinion) points were made, such as allowing a fifth pool when 4 other pool powers have been used or maybe channel it through a new Incarnate slot which are really interesting.

Thanks everybody who participated in the discussion in a meaningful way.

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

27 minutes ago, Nightmarer said:

OK, I guess most of the vocal forumites are happy with things as they are so, well, at least I tried. I've been accused of wanting free Hasten and free Combat Jumping, of making pointless statements, of wanting def softcap from lvl one and of wanting to do unplayable builds with 1 power of each pool, none of them are the case but hey, this is the internet  and things are what they are. At least I hope devs noticed some ppl would like to see a few changes in pool powers and some others are happy as things are. Will keep trying until finally a common ground is found so maybe devs might get a good idea of where allocate time when possible. Some excellent (always in my opinion) points were made, such as allowing a fifth pool when 4 other pool powers have been used or maybe channel it through a new Incarnate slot which are really interesting.

You know, this kind of rhetorical commentary doesn't endear someone to your cause.

A bit heavy handed, don't you think?

• Like 4

I’m not sure your tone demonstrates that you appreciate the fact that this discussion has already occurred on most days ending in Y. 🙂

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Nightmarer said:

It's been a while since I've seen Pool powers discussed on the weekly discussions and I think it would be a nice place to input a few things to make the game more interesting:

• Presence Pool: Does anybody at all take it? Is it worth trying to revamp it again or better just get rid of it? I don't think it's in a good place as it is
  • Pool power pre-requisites: Incarnated characters are overpowered, would it be such a difference if we had extra power choices by removing pre-requisites? I personally would love not having to take Boxing to get to Tough / Weave or being able to take Acrobatics straight away. Same for Patron / Ancillary, is wasting one or two power choices necessary?
  • Pool limit: Is it really important being limited to 4 power pools? Why? Is it really game breaking if we can choose any power from any pool?
  • "Must have" Powers: Any chance that certain powers being treated as Fitness Pool? I think we all know a couple Pool Powers most of us get for most if not all our chars, Hasten and Combat Jumping spring to mind. Also, travel Powers, why not detach them from Power Pools and unlock them at a certain lvl? 

Presence Pool could use some adjustment. I'd make it so you could take Intimidate without any prereqs but that's about it. Inherent Stamina and no prereq travel powers have already made the game pretty easy. No need to make it easier but removing any real sense of choice for power picks.

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

16 hours ago, Nightmarer said:

Saying I don't agree, is bringing something to discussion.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 5:15 AM, Nightmarer said:

Can we agree that improving the above powers and in the case of Boxing / Kick maybe not having them as a mandatory pre-requisite for Tough / Weave

There needs to be a prerequisite for tough and weave.  Without it, melee get an easy boost to their armor set with no investment.  Seems silly on tough, but it can add up to another 10-15% lethal/smashing resist.  Weave, the defense number is piddly in comparison but easily helps cap out defensive after IO bonus + power picks.  

Alternatively, combine kick and punch into a single power, replace cross punch down the list to in first 2 sectiond make a T9 like click power similar to rune of protection.  Make the investment up the tree seem worthwhile, instead of picking out only the good ones in the middle.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

What if, every pool had to be "Unlocked" by spending one power choice on it to get a useless, does-nothing-at-all / has-no-slots-to-fill, power; and you could unlock as many pools this was as you wanted? 

What if you could unlock additional pools past the first four this way?

Do you have any characters for whom you would give up an entire power choice if it got an additional pool opened?

On 3/11/2021 at 2:54 AM, Andreah said:

We need to keep a sense of constraint on build choices or it may not stay that way much longer.

How would being able to pick more underperforming powers make you more powerful?

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

52 minutes ago, Andreah said:

What if, every pool had to be "Unlocked" by spending one power choice on it to get a useless, does-nothing-at-all / has-no-slots-to-fill, power; and you could unlock as many pools this was as you wanted?

... oooookay. No.

Also, what one person considers "useless" another can find quite handy.

54 minutes ago, Andreah said:

Do you have any characters for whom you would give up an entire power choice if it got an additional pool opened?

No.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

3 minutes ago, Greycat said:
58 minutes ago, Andreah said:

No.

I think I have one, and that's a niche team-support character.