Focused Feedback: Travel Power Updates (Build 1)

3 hours ago, Barneysaurus said:

Glad to know others were thinking of this as well!

As for pet flight: I was testing this with flight+hover+group flight on my mastermind on Brainstorm, she easily left her pets in the dust, to the point so far they had to 'respawn'... which they did far below in the ground. They then flew up to meet her, but eventually get left behind again. Since there is no possible way beyond things like speed boost to assist with pet flight speed, and using the rest of the flight pool already puts you far faster than just the 'group fly' speed the pets receive, I wonder if the group flight speed for pets could be a the cap since they can't keep up otherwise, and have other things tying them to their summons' location

Hi, as from my post back on page 7 I feel the way this power affects other players has needed looking at for a long time and with these changes that look at is even more needed. This power is ON by default for every player but is up there with the powers least picked and liked and most loathed by player base. Currently, on live, it is also so gimped that even the AT’s that would use it most just simply ignore it. This means that some players will go to the Gull and set default to off, but a majority of players, old and new, will have never seen or experienced this power in use and so simply are unaware of the Gull option.

Therefore when this change hits live and fingers crossed a lot more Mm’s start using it in teams there will be a lot of WTF moments followed by pressure on the Mm to stop using it. 
We currently have a power that is virtually not in the game usage wise, so why would players even think about changing the default.  If the default was now changed to OFF it would be like a stealth change for most of the guys and stop all the inadvertant affects on them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cidri said:

This is exactly what an afterburner is IRL. The name in its current utility annoyed me quite a bit before i got used to i. The current afterburner ought to be be named something like "Speed Cruise" or perhaps "Tailwind". I am not suggesting these names in the patch, where the patched Afterburner does exactly what an afterburner ought to do. That said, I am very unlikely to ever pick up the new afterburner, especially f it keeps the annoying FX. This change will force me to make respecs on about a hundred different toons. 😮

You don't pick AB. It comes for free when you pick Fly. You may decide not to use it though and that's your prerogative.

• Like 1

While changes are being made to the concealment pool, can I make a request?

Could we have a power customisation option on Stealth to completely hide the costume (including in combat) in the same way that Dark Armor's Cloak of Darkness does? That effect enables some cool character concepts when combined with costume auras (which are still visible), and it would be nice to be able to have the effect available to all archetypes and powersets.

Edited by roBurky

4 hours ago, Barneysaurus said:

That said, would you consider making an option that would limit group flight to a character and its summons, so as not to effect other players?

If group fly only ever affected you and your pets/minions, I think that would be an improvement over the proposed version. The option to either affect [me+pets] OR [me+pets+teammates] or even [me+pets+friendlies] would be better still. But if I had to pick one of these, I would go for [me+pets] only.

29 minutes ago, Cidri said:

This is exactly what an afterburner is IRL. The name in its current utility annoyed me quite a bit before i got used to i. The current afterburner ought to be be named something like "Speed Cruise" or perhaps "Tailwind". I am not suggesting these names in the patch, where the patched Afterburner does exactly what an afterburner ought to do. That said, I am very unlikely to ever pick up the new afterburner, especially f it keeps the annoying FX. This change will force me to make respecs on about a hundred different toons. 😮

It comes free with fly...

• City Council

I've rewritten the Flight section to hopefully be a bit clearer:

Pool: Flight

• Flight_TravelFlight.png.74244b2f884386eb35f8ac9428278017.png Fly
    • Now increases your fly speed cap by 50% while toggled on (from 58.6mph to 87.9mph)
      • This increased cap is the equivalent of fully slotting the old version of Afterburner
        • You now get this for free, without picking two more powers, and without old Afterburner's Only Affect Self component
      • This means Fly speed buffs and enhancements actually matter, as you won't hit the new cap without them
      • This increased cap doesn't apply in PvP
    • Flight_Afterburner.png.9890bf9208f976be5c62e00f21c62b82.png Afterburner
      • Now built into Fly as a free secondary (server tray) power that doesn't require a power pick
        • If you already had Fly, you will now also have Afterburner for free
      • Now a timed toggle with a 30 second duration and a 60 second cooldown
      • Increases flight speed cap by a further 25% (to 102.27mph), and speeds you up to the cap
        • This allows Fly to match Super Jump's new speed cap for short bursts of time (it wouldn't be appropriate to have Fly match that speed permanently)
        • Note that the old speed cap that fully-slotted Afterburner previously allowed you to reach is now built into Fly for free, you don't need to use this new version of Afterburner to reach that speed
      • No longer applies Only Affect Self or any other effects - Evasive Maneuvers has inherited most of Afterburner's old defensive effects
  • image.png.a9de0837a33cf33379309a4bbfe9e4d0.png Group Fly
    • This power now applies to all pets regardless of their distance from the caster
    • No longer inaccurately claims it applies -Acc
  • Flight_EvasiveManeuvers.png.1e67b92f6c3529ffd38620fc25871fd4.png Evasive Maneuvers
    • Replaces the old version of Afterburner as Flight's tier 5 power
      • If you previously had Afterburner, you now have Evasive Maneuvers
      • Note that if you previously had Fly, you will now have the new version of Afterburner for free
    • Toggle with moderate endurance cost, aimed at providing you with excellent airborne combat mobility
      • Evasive Maneuvers is not intended as a travel power, it is a defensive combat mobility power
    • Whilst flying, this power provides:
      • Protection against -fly and immobilize, and some resistance to knockback
      • A small amount of flight speed
        • This flight speed is not affected by travel suppression, allowing you to remain mobile in combat
      • Good air control (the same level that Afterburner previously provided)
    • Also provides the same level of defence as old Afterburner out of combat, but this is removed while in combat
      • This follows the same 4s suppression timer as movement speed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

2 hours ago, Cidri said:

This is exactly what an afterburner is IRL. The name in its current utility annoyed me quite a bit before i got used to i. The current afterburner ought to be named something like  "Tailwind". I am not suggesting these names in the patch, where the patched Afterburner does exactly what an afterburner ought to do. That said, I am very unlikely to ever pick up the new afterburner, especially if it keeps the annoying FX. This change will force me to make respecs on about a hundred different toons. 😮

If you get fly - AB is a feature of that power now - you get it by default - free.

Edited by Infinitum

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I've rewritten the Flight section to hopefully be a bit clearer:

Pool: Flight

• Flight_TravelFlight.png.74244b2f884386eb35f8ac9428278017.png Fly
    • Now increases your fly speed cap by 50% while toggled on (from 58.6mph to 87.9mph)
      • This increased cap is the equivalent of fully slotting the old version of Afterburner
        • You now get this for free, without picking two more powers, and without old Afterburner's Only Affect Self component
      • This means Fly speed buffs and enhancements actually matter, as you won't hit the new cap without them
      • This increased cap doesn't apply in PvP
    • Flight_Afterburner.png.9890bf9208f976be5c62e00f21c62b82.png Afterburner
      • Now built into Fly as a free secondary (server tray) power that doesn't require a power pick
      • Increases flight speed cap by a further 25% (to 102.27mph), and speeds you up to the cap
        • This allows Fly to match Super Jump's new speed cap for short bursts of time (it wouldn't be appropriate to have Fly match that speed permanently)
        • Note that the old speed cap that fully-slotted Afterburner previously allowed you to reach is now built into Fly for free, you don't need to use this new version of Afterburner to reach that speed
      • No longer applies Only Affect Self or any other effects - Evasive Maneuvers has inherited most of Afterburner's old defensive effects
  • image.png.a9de0837a33cf33379309a4bbfe9e4d0.png Group Fly
    • This power now applies to all pets regardless of their distance from the caster
    • No longer inaccurately claims it applies -Acc
  • Flight_EvasiveManeuvers.png.1e67b92f6c3529ffd38620fc25871fd4.png Evasive Maneuvers
    • Replaces the old version of Afterburner as Flight's tier 5 power
      • If you previously had Afterburner, you now have Evasive Maneuvers
      • Note that if you previously had Fly, you will now have the new version of Afterburner for free
    • Toggle with moderate endurance cost, aimed at providing you with excellent airborne combat mobility
      • Evasive Maneuvers is not intended as a travel power, it is a defensive combat mobility power
    • Whilst flying, this power provides:
      • Protection against -fly and immobilize, and some resistance to knockback
      • A small amount of flight speed
        • This flight speed is not affected by travel suppression, allowing you to remain mobile in combat
      • Good air control (the same level that Afterburner previously provided)
    • Also provides the same level of defence as old Afterburner out of combat, but this is removed while in combat
      • This follows the same 4s suppression timer as movement speed

I think you need to say Afterburner is free a few more times - being serious.

Neon lights and all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, GM Arcanum said:

Pool: Speed

• SuperSpeed_SuperSpeed.png.c7b0740d9fa4bdf6622415eef245128d.png Super Speed
    • Now increases your run speed cap by 30% while toggled on (from 92.5mph to 120.25mph)
      • This increase doesn't apply in PvP
    • Now has a new momentum leap mechanic
      • Running will build up momentum, allowing you to perform a single very high, very long jump after approximately 4 seconds of running
      • Jumping will cause you to expend your momentum - after landing, you'll need to remain grounded and running in order to perform another momentum jump
      • Super Speed's icon will gain a yellow ring when you are at maximum momentum
    • SuperSpeed_SpeedPhase.png.be2bac846fa85fc6ccc538976819a9c0.png Speed Phase
      • New secondary (server tray) power
      • Toggle, moderate endurance cost
      • Removes collision with characters (ie: phase shift without being untargetable), and sets you to Only Affect Self
        • This allows you to pass through enemies, allies, civilians, cars, and even the Atlas Park blimp!
        • Note: as this power doesn't actually make you intangible, it doesn't trigger (and isn't affected by) the No Phase timer

Testing out the changes to Super Speed on Beta's been a fun experience - being able to build up to a bigger jump's neat, and really useful for vertical traversal for sure. It also feels kind of thematic, having to run some distance (or go in circles) to build up to that point too!

Speed Phase works as advertised, and further helps with traversing across long distances without having to worry about jumping over obstacles as much to avoid being interrupted. That being said, it'd be nice if there were a Minimal FX option for it (super low priority, I know!), for similar reasons to how I like Super Speed without its flashy particle effects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cidri said:

This change will force me to make respecs on about a hundred different toons. 😮

So only about half your toons needing a look at then, Cidri? :p

Edited by LQT
  • Haha 2

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

So I am still confused on travel powers update. 

If I take Fly. Do I automatically get Hover? Does each power still take their own slots. 

I thought I would be saving power and slots but know I really don’t know.

I like updates but I don’t like that I have to respec all my characters. Mids won’t have an update till god knows when. 

• Retired Game Master
1 minute ago, Spectre7878 said:

So I am still confused on travel powers update. 

If I take Fly. Do I automatically get Hover? Does each power still take their own slots. 

I thought I would be saving power and slots but know I really don’t know.

No, hover and fly are still two different powers.

Afterburner has been replaced with Evasive Maneuvers, which provides a lot of the buffs that Afterburner did and more, and can be used in combat.

Fly now has its own Afterburner built in, which gives a temporary speed buff.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hartanna said:

Especially from RP perspective -- it just makes sense that in a Nova's natural environment, it should be able

to at least equal the flight speed of some bipedal species that simply occasionally take to the skies.

Kinda agree with you here, except that not every creature flies at the same speed and humans can go really, really fast in the air due to technology.

19 minutes ago, GM Lines said:

No, hover and fly are still two different powers.

Afterburner has been replaced with Evasive Maneuvers, which provides a lot of the buffs that Afterburner did and more, and can be used in combat.

Fly now has its own Afterburner built in, which gives a temporary speed buff.

Would be nice, if, like change ammo on DP, that we could put the AB icon wherever we want without the constant pop-up bar coming and going and it would simply be "disabled" when fly isn't being used.  Not unlike self resurrect powers being gray while you're alive...

• Like 2

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

Origin: Icecomet  (Arc ID 24805), Origin: Icecomet - Chapter 2  (Arc ID 29282), Origin Icecomet - Chapter 3 (Arc ID 39625)

Chapters 4 & 5  (Under development, Coming Soon!)

6 hours ago, Infinitum said:

If there was anything wrong with this change I would be the first to gripe about it, but the numbers prove it to be nothing but a net gain ANY.  WAY. YOU. SLICE. IT.

Except for duration and defense, as was already pointed out.  And as Troo noted, the number of tray slots needed.  Just because you don't care about those things does not make the new version better in those regards.

Edited by Tigraine
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Infinitum said:

As someone who has 48 out of 50 active characters with all three flight powers Hover Flight and AB, the beta version is superior in every way - and thats before the bonus of the free power of AB which basically gives you "Pissed off Thor" flight to save the day in small but powerful bursts.

If there was anything wrong with this change I would be the first to gripe about it, but the numbers prove it to be nothing but a net gain ANY.  WAY. YOU. SLICE. IT.

Flight

There are net gains & losses

Can go a bit faster (yep) (is it 2x faster or as fast as other travel powers?)

There is a loss in defense. (no more combat related defense, it is now non-combat)

What was a toggle for as long as someone wanted is now a short burst (very short for some traveling, with a longer recharge)

2 powers became 3 which need to be managed and seem a bit convoluted. (the extra options on mystic flight or mighty jump, don't use em)

Yes, folks can fly faster now but let's admit this change is long over due. What players want is to fly as fast as they can for as long as they want

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Retired Game Master
6 minutes ago, Spectre7878 said:

So what’s enhancement and IO sets does fly, hover, afterburner, and evasive maneuvers take if I may ask. 

As well as stealth, invisible, and concealments new travel ability?

Set slotting is practically the same as it was, with some additions in Infiltration:

Fly will take Flight Speed and Universal Travel, as before. The afterburner component can't be slotted independently.

Hover will take Defense, Flight Speed and Universal Travel as before.

Evasive Maneuvers will take Defense, Flight Speed and Universal Travel, allowing for the same slotting as Afterburner had to be transferred across.

Stealth will take Defense.

Infiltration will take Defense, Leaping, Running and Universal Travel.

Edited by GM Lines
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Troo said:

Can go a bit faster (yep) (is it 2x faster or as fast as other travel powers?)

It shouldn't be as fast as or faster than other travel powers - do you think it should?

34 minutes ago, Troo said:

There is a loss in defense. (no more combat related defense, it is now non-combat)

It wasnt truly combat related defense then - you couldnt attack back while it was on - if its a retreat power you want the new AB gives you 30 seconds of near SS level speed and if you can't get away in 30 seconds you werent meant to my friend - but you can also activate hover - get its bonus and still get out at breakneck speeds.

37 minutes ago, Troo said:

What was a toggle for as long as someone wanted is now a short burst (very short for some traveling, with a longer recharge)

Again the old Fly+AB performance is less than the new Fly+EvM performance - the short burst is even faster than that - its a bonus - look up bonus and free and that's what new AB is.

39 minutes ago, Troo said:

2 powers became 3 which need to be managed and seem a bit convoluted.

No, 3 powers are the same as before just renamed with slightly different function but greater performance - the third power is again a bonus - free - and a performance additive.

40 minutes ago, Troo said:

Yes, folks can fly faster now but let's admit this change is long over due. What players want is to fly as fast as they can for as long as they want

That wouldnt balance out for fly to superseed SJ or SS

Heroes I'm comics have short burst of super feats - its reflective of that in my opinion.

But Again this is a net gain numerically over the live numbers even if you never used the new AB.

Unless You can demonstrate otherwise, and please do post numbers because this affects 48 of my characters I would like to see the evidence for me not to like these changes.

I'll be waiting.

3 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

It wasnt truly combat related defense then - you couldnt attack back while it was on - if its a retreat power you want the new AB gives you 30 seconds of near SS level speed and if you can't get away in 30 seconds you werent meant to my friend - but you can also activate hover - get its bonus and still get out at breakneck speeds.

Current Afterburner works like running a map with Personal Force Field on - super high defense while moving through hostiles. Not always for retreating, I use it to fly through a map to the objective. Since the defense doesn't suppress in combat, it doesn't matter if things are attacking me.

I still like the new version better.

6 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Heroes I'm comics have short burst of super feats - its reflective of that in my opinion.

Yep, excellent comparison.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Flight_Afterburner.png.9890bf9208f976be5c62e00f21c62b82.png Afterburner

Maybe rename it to "Turbo Boost" to avoid all the confusion people are having about being sad that new Afterburner doesn't work like old Afterburner?

• Turbo Boost: A temporary boost to your maximum flight speed.
  • Toggle with a 30 second duration and a 60 second cooldown
Edited by ninja surprise

6 minutes ago, ninja surprise said:

Current Afterburner works like running a map with Personal Force Field on - super high defense while moving through hostiles. Not always for retreating, I use it to fly through a map to the objective. Since the defense doesn't suppress in combat, it doesn't matter if things are attacking me.

I still like the new version better.

Stealth +Celerity will do that for ya too though, but Honestly if you are moving at 87 mph old or new they aren't going to get at ya.