Focused Feedback: Travel Power Updates (Build 1)

3 minutes ago, Excraft said:

You must've missed where I said I actually tested the powers and said I don't like the change.  I don't have fly turned on in combat, so Evasive is totally useless for me.  You must've missed that part too.  I didn't say anything about flight speed.  I just said I like the way it works now and don't see the need for a change.

Evasive Maneuvers isn't just an in-combat power, it's also the out-of-combat constant-speed-boost toggle that Afterburner used to be.  What you used to do, run Fly+AB to fly faster, is now accomplished by running Fly+EM out of combat.  The new Afterburner is a brand new power that has nothing to do with the old afterburner except that it's now using the name.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Starforge said:

So in an attempt to move one from the seemingly endless discussion about Afterburner, I did some testing of Super Jump in the Shadow Shard last night.

I should preface by saying my SJ character has a +5 boosted single generic Jump enhancement in Hurdle and one +5 boosted Unbounded Leap in Super Jump. In the attached image I tried to see how far I could get in one leap using Double Jump and as you can see, I got pretty dang close to the Storm Palace (the arrow pointing to where I started to fall at the end of the first leap). Unfortunately, with the elevation of the entrance portal compared to the Storm Palace, you won't be able to actually make it inside but it was an interesting test nonetheless.

JumpTest2.JPG

I'm curious how you'd do with Mighty Leap + Takeoff + Jump Pack. The extra speed might get you there.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Just now, Starforge said:

I'd have to do a respec to try that but if I have time this week I'll give it a shot.

Don't sweat it, the test alone was a cool illustration of how strong the new Super Leap is with the Double Jump.

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Question for the Devs:

Since AB now works for Fly like Turbo Boost works for Jetpack in the as-of-yet-added Gadgetry* pool, if this goes live can we expect a totally reworked execution of Jetpack when it does debut?

And sorry for taking this slightly off-topic, but I hope it can be forgiven since a short historical treatise on the Afterburner War of 2021 was written in the thread already.

*Gadgetry Pool

Edited by twozerofoxtrot
I maek link.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Question for the Devs:

Since AB now works for Fly like Turbo Boost works for Jetpack in the as-of-yet-added Gadgetry pool, if this goes live can we expect a totally reworked execution of Jetpack when it does debut?

And sorry for taking this slightly off-topic, but I hope it can be forgiven since a short historical treatise on the Afterburner War of 2021 was written in the thread already.

I wondered about this too. Now that Turbo Boost is mimic'd by the new Afterburner and Freerunning is mimic'd by the new Infiltration, it makes me curious as to what the fate is for the last two Origin Pools. I would think they would get their travel powers reworked, if the pools ever get developed.

• Sad 1

• Lead Game Master

Just hid nearly an entire PAGE of back-and-forth banter. While some of it may have been constructive, it was in the greater context of an argument.

This feedback thread is for just that: Feedback. People are entitled to their opinions... HOWEVER, such opinions will hold more weight if they are quantified by play experience, and not just reading the patch notes or saying you don't use a certain power anyway. There's also no need to defend the proposed changes to someone doesn't like them.

Please stay on topic; thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

7 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I wondered about this too. Now that Turbo Boost is mimic'd by the new Afterburner and Freerunning is mimic'd by the new Infiltration, it makes me curious as to what the fate is for the last two Origin Pools. I would think they would get their travel powers reworked, if the pools ever get developed.

When i first saw this page drop, I was hoping to see the new power pools. I don't think power mimic is an issue though, look no further than Super Jump vs Mighty Leap. It's ok to have multiple choice of the same travel power as long as the rest of the pool is different enough to warrant a mimic.

Honestly, I've been waiting for Life Support since i read about it way back when. My SR dreams of it. Crying itself to sleep every night without it.

• Like 1

I have tested Evasive Maneuvers on a few characters.  The extra speed is really nice.  I did have a use for Afterburner in combat: tanking AVs solo while the rest of the team concentrated on a different AV.  I'd get GW's (or whoever) attention, lead them around the map, let the rest of the team fight someone else, drop Afterburner and taunt if I lost aggro.  EM won't provide the defense for that.  Not sure how important that is, just pointing it out.

If EM gets changed to provide defense as long as I don't attack, that would help my particular case.  I could taunt, deal with lowered defense for a bit, then it would come back without me having to toggle it off and back on.  Neat.

The one problem I still see with EM is that .52 end/s is pretty expensive.  I'd like to be able to fight with it on, but during combat, some of the benefit does not occur.  It would be really cool if, while it was not providing defense, the cost dropped down somewhat.  I have a lot of flying melee characters who would love to run this all the time, but probably not at the current end cost.

• Like 4

Too many pages to wade through for this:

But devs, please do not forget about Black/White Dwarf Step!  And maybe Nova form flights.  While I am fairly sure I can adapt with a respec I have been using Dwarf Form teleports to travel on both khelds.  Also consider bumping up the movement speed for Quickness/Mental Training

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Navigator said:

Evasive Maneuvers isn't just an in-combat power, it's also the out-of-combat constant-speed-boost toggle that Afterburner used to be.  What you used to do, run Fly+AB to fly faster, is now accomplished by running Fly+EM out of combat.  The new Afterburner is a brand new power that has nothing to do with the old afterburner except that it's now using the name.

I understand what the changes are, thanks.  I really don't need any new power.  How Flight and Afterburner work now is perfectly fine for me.  Not sure how else to say it.  I don't really need any more flight speed.  More flight speed is totally useless inside caves and inside buildings.  Zone travel has been trivialized anyway by all the portal powers and temps.  Like I said, change for the sake of change.  Much better stuff to be spending the time on, like 50+ content. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

23 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

Too many pages to wade through for this:

But devs, please do not forget about Black/White Dwarf Step!  And maybe Nova form flights.  While I am fairly sure I can adapt with a respec I have been using Dwarf Form teleports to travel on both khelds.  Also consider bumping up the movement speed for Quickness/Mental Training

I was under the impression the travel power changes got copied to the kheldian counterparts. Are you seeing something that is not matching?

Just now, Bopper said:

I was under the impression the travel power changes got copied to the kheldian counterparts. Are you seeing something that is not matching?

The actual copies of travel powers in the Kheld sets got the boosts. The forms baked in powers did not, as they aren't supposed to be as good.

7 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I seen that Warshades humanoid step/teleport got bumped, but nothing in the original notes about Dwarf Steps/teleports

4 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

The actual copies of travel powers in the Kheld sets got the boosts. The forms baked in powers did not, as they aren't supposed to be as good.

Thanks, I just did a look up and it shows the Black Dwarf step got updated to mimic the new Teleport with the exception it does not seem to have Untouchable. But the faster teleport effect and other changes are all there. image.thumb.png.f42ae0276111684d36768a6b69e3603d.png

1 minute ago, kelika2 said:

I seen that Warshades humanoid step/teleport got bumped, but nothing in the original notes about Dwarf Steps/teleports

See my previous post, but for comparison sake here is the homecoming live version of Black Dwarf Step . You'll see the differences.image.thumb.png.0105d741a4c13c5fcd456a0d022a5d5e.png

1 minute ago, Bopper said:

Thanks, I just did a look up and it shows the Black Dwarf step got updated to mimic the new Teleport with the exception it does not seem to have Untouchable. But the faster teleport effect and other changes are all there. image.thumb.png.f42ae0276111684d36768a6b69e3603d.png

Teleport on test is 350ft.

panic mode for me for the next few months.

1 minute ago, kelika2 said:

Teleport on test is 350ft.

panic mode for me for the next few months.

Good catch and that is probably intentional. Black Dwarf step is faster animating than teleport, but atleast now the teleport doesn't happen after the animation ends (before it was delayed 1.17s, now it's 0.6s. That should at least be somewhat a QoL improvement if not a minor performance improvement. Have you tested it yet? I messed around with new teleport and the feel of it is much nicer.

I found teleport to be tremendously more forgiving on beta.  Don't have to be as precise in the timing.  Was able to much more easily cross zones.

The extended hover time is super nice with my tp bind for going straight up.  Gives me time to look around and decide where I want to go.

Also it seems like you can move after porting faster.  I remember a time of mandatory hovering that felt clunky, which seems to be gone.

All in all, it's a lot easier to manage on a character that did not take Hover.  TP changes are very cool.

• Like 4

My evaluation of the new Fly (the rest look fine, I just don’t bother playing with them much):

I am starting to think that @Captain Powerhouse spends each Issue/Page looking for creative ways to get me to respec most of my characters, because I am going to respec almost all of my characters out of Mystic Flight and into Fly. The Afterburner changes and “Magneto Flight” sealed the deal.

Excellent work and thank you to everyone that makes this happen.

Edited by Myrmidon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

56 minutes ago, Bopper said:

The increased Range is not. And the Nova form Fly does not grant the increased Cap.