Focused Feedback: Travel Power Updates (Build 1)

27 minutes ago, Icecomet said:

Hey guys.  While I like the changes as a whole that you've undertaken here, I have to say that I do NOT like "flying" with the hover look.  I really really really don't like it which is why I never made a "hover blaster" (which is kind of popular).

Can we PLEASE make the toon fly normal if flight is toggled on or give an option in the tailor or something?  I shouldn't have to give up the benefits of hover just to fly normal.  Flying around the city in an "upright" position just looks plain silly to me.

Thanks in advance for reading...

Amen!  THIS IS A BIG DEAL.  When I fly, I want to look super-heroic.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

This is more like questions to understand more...

I have many alts using Afterburner, and it usually has two slots with blessings of the Zephyr, which I need for the enhanced range defense, which is critical for their survival.

My guess that evasive flying, would be given the 2 slots? and my 2 blessings of the zephyr appear in my enhancement tray?

Lastly, do you consider this change significant enough to provide impacted alts with a free respec?

Thank you

Sue

• Like 1

The graphic effects for the (new) Afterburner do not appear to be customizeable...  They don't appear separately in the Tailor menu and they don't inherit any color changes made at the Tailor.

Suggestion:  Afterburner graphical effects should inherit the color scheme of the parent power (Fly), specifically any customized colors.

• Like 5

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

10 minutes ago, Apparition said:

You can already turn off Group Fly by talking with Null the Gull in Pocket D.

You *can,* but if more MMs take this power because pets aren't falling out of the air 50 feet away, I can see it being more of an issue with more people - both those who just don't want to be flying right then and those it explicitly disables powers or some aspect of them (think it does to Stalagmites, Electric armor's mez protection, etc.)  Which, sure, if you only have 1-2 characters, not as big a deal. Someone like me with over 100 alts? (Which is not unusual... or even the most,) it's an issue.

Suggestions:

1. Slash command to cut out having to travel and just *nullify* (heh) being affected by buffs, in case you're somewhere it's not really convenient to duck out for a couple minutes to run down and talk to the bird.  (MSR, task force, etc.)

2. Make global "Do not let external movement buffs affect me" options.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

22 minutes ago, Icecomet said:

Hey guys.  While I like the changes as a whole that you've undertaken here, I have to say that I do NOT like "flying" with the hover look.  I really really really don't like it which is why I never made a "hover blaster" (which is kind of popular).

Can we PLEASE make the toon fly normal if flight is toggled on or give an option in the tailor or something?  I shouldn't have to give up the benefits of hover just to fly normal.  Flying around the city in an "upright" position just looks plain silly to me.

Thanks in advance for reading...

I would like this too.  High-speed hover would look cool for a ghost character, but most of mine want to use the flight pose when Fly is on.  I'd love an option in the tailor for Fly that overrides the Hover pose when both are on.

Meanwhile, the flight speed changes are really cool.  As far as I can tell, Evasive Maneuvers gives all the control and protection that CJ does, so that will save me a pool on a lot of characters. 

I have to agree that I don't know how much point there is to 30 seconds of Afterburner, but I don't think it's hurting anything either.  I was using Power Boost on my en/en blaster for a similar effect, and now it looks like PB has no effect on flight speed, possibly because I'm already at the cap.  Might mean I can just drop both PB and CJ on her, which would give me some interesting other options.

• Like 3

Just now, MsSmart said:

Lastly, do you consider this change significant enough to provide impacted alts with a free respec?

Given powers are being combined and replaced, I'd call it a safe bet there'll be a respec given.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Just now, Rathulfr said:

I agree with the source and this poster,  flying vertically makes it very hard to get around places that are height limited. it would be great if both hover and flight had prone options.

Hugs

Sue

4 minutes ago, EmperorSteele said:

As for Evasive Maneuvers... I feel like there's some overlap and toe-stepping going on with Hover. What's the intended use of two defensive powers that make flying easier and more maneuverable and give a defense buff (except EM loses its defense buff when in combat... which makes no sense to me? If you're practicing "evasive maneuvers", you're in a dog-fight and fighting back). Also, lol at the name, guess we're turning into STO now =D

I think EM is just supposed to re-enact afterburners old purpose, and that already stepped on the toes of hover. Evasive not offering defense in combat is sort of troubling though. Afterburner was only effect self, but could still be good damage avoidance in a fight.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tigraine said:

Wait, what?  

No thanks; I'd rather have the old Afterburner back.  It's a convenience issue, particularly when doing a lot of traveling, or if pausing and hanging out in a space for a bit before continuing on, to not have to rely on these sorts of cooldowns being ready or not.  

This actually allows you to go faster than pre patch fly+ab

Fly+evasive should equal what old fly+ab achieved

Now add New AB and you are way ahead of the old fly+ab

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EmperorSteele said:

As for Evasive Maneuvers... I feel like there's some overlap and toe-stepping going on with Hover. What's the intended use of two defensive powers that make flying easier and more maneuverable and give a defense buff (except EM loses its defense buff when in combat... which makes no sense to me? If you're practicing "evasive maneuvers", you're in a dog-fight and fighting back). Also, lol at the name, guess we're turning into STO now =D

Evasive Maneuvers speed buff does not get suppressed in combat. So when you attack, you might see your speed go down to something like 27 mph for 4s, while evasive maneuvers and hover will have you at 68 mph (ballpark numbers). You'll still be stuck while animating but as soon as animation ends you're zooming.

• Like 3

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

5 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Flys animation hasn't actually changed. If fly you fly, and if you hover, you'll still hover, just optionally faster.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jojogladco said:

You get better than the old AB in the new Evasive Maneuvers. Fly+EM with nothing slotted will put you at 87.95mph fly speed. On Live Fly+AB slotted with a level 50 flight in each will put you at 79.02mph, to match what you now get in Fly+EM you would need to run Fly+AB+Steam Jump/Jump Pack. AB will now bump you up to 102.27mph for 30 seconds. 

I don't normally slot these with fly speed though.  Fly gets Zephyr's KB protection, and Afterburner gets a LotG Recharge.

• Retired Game Master
4 minutes ago, MsSmart said:

I have many alts using Afterburner, and it usually has two slots with blessings of the Zephyr, which I need for the enhanced range defense, which is critical for their survival.

My guess that evasive flying, would be given the 2 slots? and my 2 blessings of the zephyr appear in my enhancement tray?

The slots you had in afterburner get shifted into Evasive Maneuvers, which can take the universal travel enhancements - so they'll stay in your build.

Just now, Monos King said:

Flys animation hasn't actually changed. If fly you fly, and if you hover, you'll still hover, just optionally faster.

Plus, like I said in my post, it looks like Hover can be over-ridden with a flypose animation, so long as you put the commands in in the right order.

Regardless the 30 second duration of Afterburner is not welcomed. None of the other power has it why does Fly need a one minute cooldown extra speed buff? it's already moving 20kmh slower than SS even with it. I say remove it, bake Fly to be under the speed of others if we insist in that outdated view it must be slower because it's so superior to other travel powers.

From what I see people choose their travel powers for theme, not because of perceived 'betterness' that the old devs stated such as Fly having 3D movement, nowadays a thing that near free jetpacks offer to everyone anyway.

So fine, keep Fly the slowest of all travel powers but drop the one minute buff angle.

I'm also not sure who has the spare slots to faff around boosting movement speed when 90% of the game is spent in a mission and only 10% moving between them.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Monos King said:

But if you Hover + Fly together, you "hover", which is not acceptable to me.  If possible, I would prefer that the original Fly pose/animation be used out of combat, while the original Hover pose/animation be used while in-combat.  If that's not possible, then let me pick my preference at a tailor.

3 minutes ago, EmperorSteele said:

Plus, like I said in my post, it looks like Hover can be over-ridden with a flypose animation, so long as you put the commands in in the right order.

Please spare me from having to create yet another macro just to fix the fly pose.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Just now, Rathulfr said:

But if you Hover + Fly together, you "hover", which is not acceptable to me.  If possible, I would prefer that the original Fly pose/animation be used out of combat, while the original Hover pose/animation be used while in-combat.  If that's not possible, then let me pick my preference at a tailor.

Please spare me from having to create yet another macro just to fix the fly pose.

Detoggle Hover when you have Fly on? It's how it works currently. If need a simple bind allows to alternate Fly and Hover.

1 minute ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

The current "use at the same time" change is focused on travel powers due to the complexity of implementation and testing. In a future update we might look at doing a similar thing for stealth powers, but thats beyond the scope of this update.

What about getting tailor options for Invis levels of transparency again? Is that possible?

• Like 1

Everlasting server

Main Characters: Vigilance, Firelight, Chameleon

Edit: I found out KB resistance doesn't work the way HCwiki states.. It turns out EM is very bugged how its set right now. Still I'll leave my post below as my sentiments haven't changed.

I want to express my love for Evasive Maneuvers having Knockback resistance instead of Knockback protection. Now when I slot a 4KB protection, it's really 9.5KB protection (varies by AT). Defenders get 138.4%, so 4x2.384=9.5.

I don't even need KB protection slotted as I can grab the 10KB protection from base empowerment and enjoy 23 KB mag protection with Evasive Maneuvers on. Seriously...love.

Plus the unsuppressed movement is fantastic. I know all my squishing going forward will be taking Fly pool

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Just now, Rathulfr said:

But if you Hover + Fly together, you "hover", which is not acceptable to me

I mean it's either looking super heroic or reaping in the benefits of performance. As it stands now, pick which is more important to you. It's perfectly acceptable to me. It's just going off of how hover operates before, think of it as a buff to hover rather than a buff to flight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

The current "use at the same time" change is focused on travel powers due to the complexity of implementation and testing. In a future update we might look at doing a similar thing for stealth powers, but thats beyond the scope of this update.

Well I have no issue with Stealth Powers not stacking, my issue is that this seems to almost make In-set Stealth powers strictly worse than the Pool Power.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Detoggle Hover when you have Fly on? It's how it works currently. If need a simple bind allows to alternate Fly and Hover.

That's already a default keybind for me (/bind F12 "powexecname Hover$$powexecname Fly"), and I use it regularly.  I was hoping that I could discontinue that and just leave Hover+Fly on all the time.

(edit) Just realized that Hover and Fly are no longer mutually exclusive, so my existing macro will turn both on, instead.  So now I have to think of how to switch between them with another macro and/or bind... argh, my head hurts.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

I also don't much see the point of Defensive Maneuvers. It's way way way too expensive for what it does. 0.52 for knockback resistance (someone correct me if wrong but all this does is diminish the distance we are knocked back, but since we are flying we are not knocked back, we just do a lil somersault in the air, so what does knockback resistance actually do in this scenario?), a bit more speed, and defense that disappears if in combat.

What is the use of this if I can use Fly combined with Hover for 0.46, get more speed, lose the defense but what is the point of defense if not fighting, and the knockback resistance. Perhaps if it was knockback -defense- which -prevents- knockbacks, yes, but at 0.56, booyah. It would need to have a pretty damn good magnitude to compensate the cost (again, who has the slots to faff around with endurance reduction on a niche power?).

I'm happy to still have my LotG mule choice since i wouldn't have the pool choice to pick other lotG mules, but the way it is built now it is just that. a mule, for no purpose in actual game.

Edit: Booper answered above of the use that knockback resistance has when combined with KB protection. On a Tanker it turns 4 KB protection into 8. Still, not all builds can afford another 0.52 toggle (and most builds already have a near full tray of toggles to begin with).

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 3