Focused Feedback: Travel Power Updates (Build 1)

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

I’m a little confused about one thing.

In combat travel suppression was put in for a reason. What is the rationale behind giving Flight a power that essentially lets them have in combat flight without suppression?

I think you sort of answered it right there. EvMa is somewhat like an upgrade to your fly powers. All the downsides of Hover or Fly can be erased by stacking it with EvMa. 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

4 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Seems like the speed Fly is on live.

With two +5 fly IOs in EvMa, you will have 42 mph added unsuppressed. With a base of 21.48 mph, you are at 63.55 mph right there. A +5 fly IO in Swift will get you to 68 mph. You can grab a base empowerment to buff those by 20% of their base value, so now you're at 73 mph. That's really fast while in Fly's suppression period. Now if you want cheatcode for 30s, turn on your Jump Pack and zip around at 87.95 mph. 

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

So to sum up:

The changes to Fly (and the other travel powers) give fly a significant boost in Absolute speed for Travel purposes, although with a slight loss in Relative speed for those purposes.
Flight also gains a Huge boost in both Absolute AND Relative terms for In Combat speed.

Hopefully the animation issues can get worked out.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 5:08 PM, twozerofoxtrot said:

Probably worth mentioning though that Nerva's (and all Redside) Helos and Ships aren't connected as the trains in Paragon are.

Well, if we're mentioning that, we should also mention that Blueside there are a bunch of zones that have no transport at all.

I was already in love with this patch after reading the notes on travel powers.  Then I logged in to the test server, and I discovered that the booster/catalyst UI is much faster now, too.

This is the greatest patch ever conceived.

• Like 1

Just now, Obitus said:

I was already in love with this patch after reading the notes on travel powers.  Then I logged in to the test server, and I discovered that the booster/catalyst UI is much faster now, too.

This is the greatest patch ever conceived.

Certainly an underrecognized QoL improvement. I get carpal tunnel just thinking about +5'ing a full set. It is so much easier now.

• Like 1

So, I made a Warshade and Peacebringer on the beta, and over the past few days have played around with all of the travel powers.  Here's are the highlights of what I took away from it:

Pool: Concealment

I really am enjoying the revamped Concealment pool.  It was always in a little awkward place with Stealth and Invisibility being so similar to each other, that often just relegated one of those powers into LotG mules.  It just made sense to merge those two powers together.

Also a big fan of Infiltration.  At first I wasn't sold on it because it was just a clone of Ninja Run, but then realized that both it's run and leaping could be enhanced.  Then I was all aboard, especially since it can double dip in those universal IOs that buff all travel speeds.  Additionally, it's a travel power that you can slot a LotG into.  This just makes Infiltration into a really versatile power that can cover multiple needs a build might ask of it.  I also appreciate this power for characters where other travel powers just didn't fit thematically.

My only real gripe is the interaction between Stealth and Infiltration, you can only have one or the other toggled at once.  I wish both could be toggled on both to reflect how you can now toggle Hover/Fly and CJ/Super Jump together, and just taking the strongest stats of both.  So in the Stealth/Infiltration case, the defense bonus and stealth from Stealth, and the move speed from Infiltration.  There were times during my testing I just stopped using Infiltration and just swapped in Ninja Run because retoggling powers was starting to get under my skin.

Overall though, I really liked this version of the Concealment pool, and can see it opening up new builds for everyone with the versatility and variety of powers it contains.

Pool: Speed

The more I played with Superspeed, the more one flaw of the momentum mechanic it has baked into it stood out.  I was finding it incredibly easy to lose momentum just by tripping over small things or going down the smallest of inclines.  Running over some of the larger curbs, running across grass or landscapes with minor hills, or transitioning from sand to water would almost always remove the momentum stack.  I just wish it was more forgiving with the circumstances it was consuming it.  Maybe once the game has tracked vertical upward movement, or extending the grace period timer.  A minor issue overall

Power Pool Travel vs Kheldian Form Travel

I was disappointed when I hopped into Dwarf form on my warshade, hit Black Dwarf Step and found that while the 15 second grace period hover and it's no phase was implemented, the extended range of 350ft was not.  This is also true of White Dwarf Step.  I just wish these powered worked similarly across the board for consistency sake, so when you use Teleport, Shadow Step, Translocate from Mystic Flight, or White/Black Dwarf Step, they will perform similarly and move you 350ft.

After I did my teleport tests with the teleport powers meant for travel, I saw some feedback suggesting that Dwarf Step was acting a little closer to Combat Teleport, and it justified it's range being lower.  So, I played around with Combat Teleport, Jaunt from Speed of Sound and compared it to how Dwarf Step felt.  Teleports are certainly more responsive across the board (including Dwarf Step), and that 15 second hover grace period is a huge quality of life feature, Dwarf Step definitely wasn't feeling like Combat Teleport for me.

Nova forms weren't touched, and I'm actually okay with this right now.  Nova form has always been this weird hybrid between Hover and Fly, and I don't think there's an easy fix to it.  Probably something that's better revisited at a Kheldian update anyways.

It just seems like it would take less man hours to bump up Dwarf Step by 50 feet than it would be to potentially rework the flight of Nova forms.

Conclusions

Overall, I really like all of the changes to the travel powers.  They all feel a lot more meaningful, and Concealment is certainly a lot more interesting to me.  And while I'm disappointed Dwarf Step wasn't buffed to 350ft, I'm not in anyway upset.  We're not losing anything, the Dwarf Steps still got the QoL features from Teleport.  We're just winning!

@Dythok - ( Conventus on Everlasting )

"I am my scars."
Proud MFing Warshade

https://www.twitch.tv/dythok

7 hours ago, cohRock said:

I just tested the enhanced Super Jump in the Shadow Shard (Chantry).  SJ+DJ was able to get my character about 2/3 of the way to the Storm Palace, but he still needed assist from a fly power to get him all the way there.   This test was done starting at the island one zones into.  I probably could have reached the Palace by jumping between islands (or using gravity wells and no travel power).  However, since finding the path into the Palace is a second obstacle once there. I'm not sure the enhanced Leaping Pool in itself will prove sufficiently flexible for the shadow shards.  If bringing leaping within the Shadow Shard to an equal footing with flight and teleportation is a goal, perhaps eliminating the timer for Double Jump within the shards would be one way to accomplish that.

I just verified on the way back from the Storm Palace to the FBZ portal that jumping from island to island works well.  So the only remaining issue is somehow finding the entrance before your jump timer runs out.

The entrance is fairly obvious, it's a large oval shape feature and is on the east side of the palace. It kind of looks like it is shielded, like the rest of the mid section, but it isn't.

Edit screen shot attached.

screenshot_210318-09-16-00.jpg

Edited by CaptainLupis

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

9 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

sorry if this has been asked already, with this change does adding a flight speed enhancement in swift gain anything or is that not needed anymore?

With no enh in fly or swift you get 59.88 mph with 1 lvl 50 fly IO in fly you get 73.55 mph, with a lvl 50 fly in swift you get 74.79 mph.

Unslotted hover is 27.63mph, with 1 fly IO in hover 31.91mph, with another in swift 33.15.

So not a huge difference but if you are constantly using hover and fly, and don't run anywhere, you may as well stick a flight enh in it anyway.

Needless to say all those numbers don't take into account evasive maneuvers.

12 minutes ago, CaptainLupis said:

With no enh in fly or swift you get 59.88 mph with 1 lvl 50 fly IO in fly you get 73.55 mph, with a lvl 50 fly in swift you get 74.79 mph.

Unslotted hover is 27.63mph, with 1 fly IO in hover 31.91mph, with another in swift 33.15.

So not a huge difference but if you are constantly using hover and fly, and don't run anywhere, you may as well stick a flight enh in it anyway.

Needless to say all those numbers don't take into account evasive maneuvers.

Thanks man appreciate it.  Just wanted to make sure.  I like this update to fly especially since I don't need to change anything lol.  Only feedback I have would be make the new Afterburner kick in automatic if you're flying in a straight line for a bit without maneuvering.  the pop up tray is annoying.  other than that, I like it.

3 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Thanks man appreciate it.  Just wanted to make sure.  I like this update to fly especially since I don't need to change anything lol.  Only feedback I have would be make the new Afterburner kick in automatic if you're flying in a straight line for a bit without maneuvering.  the pop up tray is annoying.  other than that, I like it.

Well hopefully it will be fixed soon so you can actually move the afterburner power to a normal slot and disable the pop up at null the gull. That should be how it's working just now but is bugged.

It would be neat if Infiltrate's defensive bonus was not out of combat only, making it a viable alternative to Combat Jump. They appear to have the same values already (1.88% unenhanced), and it would increase build diversity. It would especially cool if it stacked with Stealth's OoC defensive bonus, but maybe that'd be too much.

I really like the new, improved Super Speed. Speed Phase is both cool and nifty, and the momentum leap is very useful, too.

Teleport's way easier to use now, too. Really appreciate the extra hang time.

• Like 1

Devs, can you make a pay to win power that costs no end to run and that hardcaps flyspeed to whatever you get from fly + swift with no slotting? Then people can fly at their movement cap all the time and apparently be happier than they currently are.

5 minutes ago, FaradayGauss said:

It would be neat if Infiltrate's defensive bonus was not out of combat only, making it a viable alternative to Combat Jump. They appear to have the same values already (1.88% unenhanced), and it would increase build diversity. It would especially cool if it stacked with Stealth's OoC defensive bonus, but maybe that'd be too much.

I really like the new, improved Super Speed. Speed Phase is both cool and nifty, and the momentum leap is very useful, too.

Teleport's way easier to use now, too. Really appreciate the extra hang time.

Actual feedback? Are you sure you're in the right place?!

• Haha 2

• City Council

Hid a bunch of posts that went off the rails; which is a shame because there were some interesting points in them.

Reminder to everyone again - everyone is allowed to have their preferences. You cannot force someone to change their opinion. This thread is to gain the feedback of everyone's experience, not to be calling out other individuals why their opinion is wrong.

When in doubt just report the comment and don't respond to it.

Carry on, everyone!

• Thanks 1

Please contact me on the Homecoming Discord for a faster response! Arcanum#7164

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

With the advert of combination travel powers (Infiltration for example, Sprint and swift are another) would it be possible to get more Universal Travel IOs so we can boost both aspects of the travel speed?

I think that might help make things easier as travel is becoming more 'Universal' overall.

1 hour ago, ForeverLaxx said:

Reading some of these last few pages and I was really confused why people were complaining about these changes in regards to Fly. Are people really upset that "Beta Fly" is now baseline better than "Live Fly w/ Slotted Afterburner" out of the box, and they're upset because they have to pick up EvM to get close to the new, higher cap? These people are aware that these changes, if they go live, will make them faster than they currently are without slots even if they ignore EvM?

Is the problem really as simple as seeing a little green number that isn't capped, even if that little green number is higher than what you used to get?

I'm confused. These changes are great and I can't fathom how anyone would call this a negative outside of maybe adding yet another toggle to our ever-increasing number of toggles, increasing our pre-play power activation ritual.

You should finish read the last pages instead of skimming. The argument was made regarding relative speeds. Just because old speed is inferior to new speed does not mean new speed is not inferior to all the other speeds since they too were buffed. But this argument is, it was made, discussed, practical testing has been done, and posted, and there is no need to ignite it once more.

14 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

Oh? I can hit my old speed cap with the existing slotting?

Nope, I now need another slot to do that and I'm not longer at the speed cap, only the first 30 seconds of most trips.

As someone who was on the same side as you at the start of this I'm starting to regarding you as a normal feminist regards the vitriolic ones on Twitter. Your arguments make less and less sense and are based on a lot of 'feels', and 'annoyances', and aren't based on anything resembling tangible problems. 'Too much speed' with EM is suddenly a problem because turning it off while in combat is suddenly 'micromanagement' of toggles. The plethora of uses EM brings as a one slot wonder is 'too much and silly'. What in the world is this where something useful that allows to skip wasting slots is being argued stridently?

I am going to reiterate one last time before I give up. I cannot make this any more clear.

Yes you can hit your old speed cap with your old slotting. Your old speed was 72mph capped. You were unable to go faster than this. It involved using Fly + AB = two toggles. You now reach 87mph with Fly + EM = two toggles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GM Arcanum said:

You cannot force someone to change their opinion. This thread is to gain the feedback of everyone's experience, not to be calling out other individuals why their opinion is wrong.

But Arcanum, what if they're REALLY wrong?  Isn't it my duty as a good citizen to edjumacate them?

• Like 1