Jump to content

Pool Powers / hasten / epics / thoughts


Recommended Posts

Since back in the game, there are many more powers set options, including access to all patrons and epics. Couple things I notice. 

 

hasten is still practically mandatory as it has been since launch. Some will disagree but maybe it’s time it’s made inherent, or part of every travel pool and can be chosen once, or simply make recharge bonus is just built in. It forces the speed pool on every single character, it’s annoying and I feel like it prevents my from diving into the new ones. 
 

Epics for scrappers, tanks and I think stalkers require an extra pick before accessing the aoe attack. It’s another annoying thing in this game, brutes get it in two, which I think is the way to go throughout melee sets. 
 

Shadow meld need something done about it’s 3 second animation considering it lasts only 15 seconds which is like 3 attacks. It’s abysmal. Such a cool power, but lasts only 15 seconds.   Maybe make it 30 seconds and increase the recharge? As of now with a lot of recharge in a build it’s up for 15 down foe 12-15 if in a position of needing it. Be a lot more useful if it were up 30, down 30. 
 

melee EM - love the changes and fast ET/energy focus. Love the scrapper version but the cone power is lame, way too narrow and needing energy focus just to become mediocre makes it just as skippable as stun. Whirling hands is still plain awful, radius is too small and the dmg is poor. 
 

new idea - generic pool set. A pool of random powers that anyone can chose and it doesn’t take up a pool choice. Be cool to get some thematic stuff here, would love a vahzilok buzz saw for example. Nothing overpowered but some decent dmg/utility that could supplant some of the tier one choices of pool powers or basics some attacks. 
 

for the love of god do something about regen. Make it worth playing again. 
 

 


 

 

Edited by Incursion
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Incursion said:

hasten is still practically mandatory as it has been since launch. Some will disagree but maybe it’s time it’s made inherent, or part of every travel pool and can be chosen once, or simply make recharge bonus is just built in. It forces the speed pool on every single character, it’s annoying and I feel like it prevents my from diving into the new ones. 

 

Here we go again...

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Clearly if it’s not the first time, maybe the dismissive attitudes are part of the problem. I’ve been back a few months, noticed some really interesting pool options yet hasten is always taken but literally 90% of the playerbase.  All the beta changes to travel revolve around stacking of powers and speed, why not just make a hasten option for all of them so it’s still a power choice. Makes sense to me. 

Edited by Incursion
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Night said:

Or maybe people are just tired of having this same discussion. You don't need Hasten for a good build.

Yea you do actually if you want to be the most effective version of whatever you are building, but let’s go ahead and dismiss the other 3 or 4 suggestions of the topic because of one power suggestion that you disagree with. I’d love to know how many characters have vs don’t have amongst the playerbase. Or if you make it part of each travel it would actually diversify peoples choices which would be a benefit to anyone and it’s not forced

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could slot Force Feedback procs, team with buffers, use base empowerment temps, slot more attack rate enhancements, or select the appropriate Incarnate powers if you're able, to increase your attack rate. What you're really saying is you think other people need Hasten to play the game the way you do. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Incursion said:

let’s go ahead and dismiss the other 3 or 4 suggestions of the topic because of one power suggestion that you disagree with. I’d love to know how many characters have vs don’t have amongst the playerbase.

 

You're just as guilty of doing this yourself given your response.

If those other points truly mattered to you, you wouldn't be this hung up on the matter of hasten.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Glacier Peak said:

You could slot Force Feedback procs, team with buffers, use base empowerment temps, slot more attack rate enhancements, or select the appropriate Incarnate powers if you're able, to increase your attack rate. What you're really saying is you think other people need Hasten to play the game the way you do. 

I think most people online do play how I do, and by making it a choice in every travel pool, it diversifies choice, which benefits everyone and harms nobody., especially since there are more travel pools available than every before. not for nothing, if it were a choice in each pool, why would you care and how would that negatively affect your thematic choice? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyrannical said:

 

You're just as guilty of doing this yourself given your response.

If those other points truly mattered to you, you wouldn't be this hung up on the matter of hasten.

 
They do matter to me, hasten seems to be the topic triggering you stooges. You could have simply moved along and ignored the suggestion instead of making a point to troll me. 

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Incursion said:

 
They do matter to me, hasten seems to be the topic triggering you stooges. You could have simply moved along and ignored the suggestion instead of making a point to troll me. 

 

Who had "OP thinks negative feedback is trolling" on their hasten thread bingo card?

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyrannical said:

 

Who had "OP thinks negative feedback is trolling" on their hasten thread bingo card?

You gave nothing of substance to my thread...your trolling was clear. Here we go again! Was your first response. Seriously, why not just be helpful and explain why you disagree or just move along. You’re acting like a stooge.  If your intention to dissuade future suggestions by me or anyone else who plays this game,  you’re doing a great job. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said it before, but hasten is not required for most melee armor sets. Energy aura? Doesn't need it, it basically has it built in. Electric? Not needed. Willpower? DEFINITELY not needed. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Incursion said:

hasten is still practically mandatory as it has been since launch. Some will disagree but maybe it’s time it’s made inherent, or part of every travel pool and can be chosen once, or simply make recharge bonus is just built in. It forces the speed pool on every single character, it’s annoying and I feel like it prevents my from diving into the new ones. 

 

Dude, you just touched the third rail of CoH forums.  I tried that once, and got roasted to a crisp.  I hope you've stocked up on greens.

 

For the record, I agree with you.  I suggested adding +15% recharge to Swift (which everyone gets automatically), and "nerfing" Hasten to a +50% toggle (instead of click), so that builds that don't really need Hasten would be freer to skip it, while still allowing builds that need it to keep and perma it automatically.  Seemed reasonable to me.

 

Boy, did I learn to regret that.  Good luck!

 

  • Haha 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moka said:

I've said it before, but hasten is not required for most melee armor sets. Energy aura? Doesn't need it, it basically has it built in. Electric? Not needed. Willpower? DEFINITELY not needed. 

That’s fine but one of the suggestions is keeping it as choice pick but opening to other travel pools. Where is the harm? And while not needed for those sets I’ll bet many people still add it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rathulfr said:

 

Dude, you just touched the third rail of CoH forums.  I tried that once, and got roasted to a crisp.  I hope you've stocked up on greens.

 

For the record, I agree with you.  I suggested adding +15% recharge to Swift (which everyone gets automatically), and "nerfing" Hasten to a +50% toggle (instead of click), so that builds that don't really need Hasten would be freer to skip it, while still allowing builds that need it to keep and perma it automatically.  Seemed reasonable to me.

 

Boy, did I learn to regret that.  Good luck!

 

Yeah I know it’s an old argument but I don’t recall anyone suggesting making it an option for every travel pool, which keeps it as a choice to have or not have, and if someone did before me, I applaud them for thinking of it first.  Other than a Thursday night Hami raid there’s more people in atlas AE any given night than anywhere else in the game. Many people play a certain way, doesn’t make it wrong, wrong or indifferent, just shows the people in game play a lot more like me than the people posting here. I respect their suggestions, no reason they can’t act the same way. Appreciate your post. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Incursion said:

You gave nothing of substance to my thread...your trolling was clear. Here we go again! Was your first response. Seriously, why not just be helpful and explain why you disagree or just move along. You’re acting like a stooge.  If your intention to dissuade future suggestions by me or anyone else who plays this game,  you’re doing a great job. 

 

Cos the topic itself no longer has substance.

 

I feel my response was apt, made to jokingly highlight the fact this particular discussion has frequented the forum already.

 

But if that's enough for you to start making accusations of trolling and resorting personal attacks, you're only making yourself out to be the stooge here.

Edited by Tyrannical
Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd be surprised what options open up for not picking it, too. Willpower especially. I had a street justice/willpower brute who didn't have it and never needed it. It was one of my strongest characters. Hell, I had a dual pistols/super reflexes sentinel with about 120% recharge without hasten. I think it's a very popular pick and I think some sets still require it for min/maxing like Bio Armor and a few support sets.  I wouldn't shed a tear if it became inherent. 

Edited by Moka
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tyrannical said:

 

Cos the topic itself no longer has substance.

 

I feel my response was apt, made to jokingly highlight the fact this particular discussion has frequented the forum already.

 

But if that's enough for you to start making personal attacks, you're only making yourself out to be the stooge here.

Your joke was an attack, and I didn't appreciate or find it amusing. I’ve been back for a few months, don’t see the topic in the first few pages of the suggestion forums, was fresh in my head after just reading the beta changes.  This is your 3rd or 4th response and you still haven’t specifically addressed anything I said, so I kindly ask you troll elsewhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hasten is very useful.

It is not mandatory. 

It is entirely possible to build a viable character without it. 

If you are incapable of setting aside the siren song of Min/Max to just experiment and have fun with other choices, that's on you. 

 

This isn't exactly Super High End Progression Raiding where if even one character out of an entire guild has anything less than optimal, it's a guaranteed wipe.  

Have fun with other choices. 

Or don't.

 

Personally, if any changes were made with regard to hasten at all, I'd prefer it be nerfed into the stone age, on par with every other regular pool power.

That will never happen, of course.  But I also firmly oppose baselining it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Incursion said:

Your joke was an attack, and I didn't appreciate or find it amusing. I’ve been back for a few months, don’t see the topic in the first few pages of the suggestion forums, was fresh in my head after just reading the beta changes.  This is your 3rd or 4th response and you still haven’t specifically addressed anything I said, so I kindly ask you troll elsewhere. 


Uh, bro? Just take a step back, I don't think he's trolling you. He tried to be funny with his first comment, and ever since you two have been just kinda arguing of whether or not it was meant in bad faith. Chill.

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe that inherent Hasten, or Hasten in every travel pool would be productive for the balance of the game.

 

I also strongly disagree that it is 'mandatory' to play the game. I have more characters without it than with it, and they're just fine. Even at the highest tier of play, Hasten isn't a requirement. It's only really of use to characters who have long cooldowns. A Claws/Willpower Scrapper definitely does not need Hasten. I don't know what kind of missions you're doing, or who you're playing with, but I've never been questioned or challenged on my use (or lack thereof) of Hasten. As an aside, there are plenty of characters with Hasten that still suck. Hasten isn't a flipped switch between 'Good build' and 'Bad build'. I just do not believe it is the wonder weapon people say it is.

 

As much of a meme that Regen is, in my own experiences it isn't nearly half as bad as people claim it to be. Sure, it's not close to it's glory days, but those days were always numbered. Could it do with a brush up? Yeah, sure, I won't say no to that. But I feel that if people gave it a genuine chance and see it for it's own worth, they'll find something fun to play.

  • Like 1

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Incursion said:

Your joke was an attack, and I didn't appreciate or find it amusing. I’ve been back for a few months, don’t see the topic in the first few pages of the suggestion forums, was fresh in my head after just reading the beta changes.  This is your 3rd or 4th response and you still haven’t specifically addressed anything I said, so I kindly ask you troll elsewhere. 

 

it is literally on page 1 of the suggestions board

 


there, am I being helpful yet?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moka said:

You'd be surprised what options open up for not picking it, too. Willpower especially. I had a street justice/willpower brute who didn't have it and never needed it. It was one of my strongest characters. Hell, I had a dual pistols/super reflexes sentinel with about 120% recharge without hasten. I think it's a very popular pick and I think some sets still require it for min/maxing like Bio Armor and a few support sets. 

I appreciate your response, and I find a lot of the sets I’ve been trying lately have had too much benefit to bypass it. Other than the cookie cutter fire brute I decided on an em/ice scrapper. It’s a secondary I’ve found a little lacking. I really like ice bastion but when it’s down it’s tough as hoarfrost has long recharge. I added shadow meld and went down the new pool for unleashed potential. If it weren’t for those plus D clicks I’d have a really hard time.  I can understand the argument of hasten remaining a have or have not choice, I just wish it weren’t tied to superspeed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...