This is why we can't have nice things!

Vinxnotha

Thank you, OP

Welcome to the MMO players of the new generation. I have been thinking this too. How great the community was when the game launched all those years ago. The community for me on Homecoming has been great so far and I hope it stays that way. We old farts need to stick together and form a supergroup.

And now I'm hearing that T9's like Thunderous Blast have no crash anymore, and...Yeah, that just feels a bit wrong.

I'd like clarify that not only was this a planned change (as mentioned above)

But they tweaked the damage to compensate. They do less damage now than they did before the change, and is recharge are still longer than the old "Crashless" nukes like Water Blasts' Geyser, Rain of Arrows etc.  So those sets still maintain a slight edge for their T9s. (As they were designed around having that edge to begin with)

The devs were finally getting around to fixing some old archaic power design choices (Crashing Powers, Snipes, giving psuedo-pets the proper AT modifiers, etc). And this was a good starting point. If memory serves they were going to look into the Godmod powers next, but never made it that far. (I could be sorely mistaken on that, and it might have been a presumption)

Thank you, OP

Welcome to the MMO players of the new generation. I have been thinking this too. How great the community was when the game launched all those years ago. The community for me on Homecoming has been great so far and I hope it stays that way. We old farts need to stick together and form a supergroup.

Old age is a superpower!

sarcasm! Biting wit! cynicism! GRUMPINESS!!

... heck, you could almost make a great scrapper set out of it  ;)

oh, and what OP said +1,000!  just so happy to have it back - missed the fun.

Old age is a superpower!

sarcasm! Biting wit! cynicism! GRUMPINESS!!

... heck, you could almost make a great scrapper set out of it  ;)

WANT!

It has to have a defense set too.

"Stubborn Old Grump": You are resistant to change and new ideas" Mez protection toggle.

Look around. See that game you are playing? You know the one that was gone for years. Ya, it came back.

And now that it is back, in come the people who are not happy. Never happy, with how things are. Have to look a git horse in the mouth, and spit on it. This game was gone..... forever, as most of us thought. It comes back, and people have to cry about experience gain. DFB. MSR. Incarnate. Leveling too fast. Too slow. Not enough people to group with because they are all doing MSR. ...

TLDR: Grow up. Be happy you get to play this at all. Stop trying to change it.

but all that *is* (a part of) the game I remember and missed.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

NO! WE....MUST....CHANGE....THE....GAME....AND....NERF.....EVERYTHING!!!!

I want to see this game nerfed to the ground, to where the most powerful ability in game is Brawl!

For giggles back in the day I 4 slotted brawl with damage procs.  It actually worked quite well as a filler and every once in a while they would all proc on the same hit and would brawl something for 300 damage.

Personally, I get a bit bemused everytime someone gets butthurt over the fact that the Help channel is being used as a server wide chat channel in addition to a place to ask questions and have them answered. Then again, people use to get the same way if a conversation started up in the zone wide Broadcast channel. Then later if the server wide Help channel got used for general conversation. "Take it to local!" or "Take it to PMs!" was a cry by such offended people. Of the outrage if you dared to suggest someone experiment rather then use the same 'accepted as the best by ME' cookie cutter builds. Insisting that only specific attack rotations, incarnate abilities, or enhancement sets are worth ever using is silly IMO.

I want to see this game nerfed to the ground, to where the most powerful ability in game is Brawl!

Hey look guys, Jack came back!

Be excellent to eachother!

Penumbra Dancer, Everlasting; Warshade

I am grateful to have it back, and free at that, and things that are the way they used to be should remain that way.

Where I start getting annoyed is at all the things that have been tweaked in the here-and-now.  I don't want the game to get easier than it used to be, and it kinda feels like we're edging in that direction.  Some things were unfinished or unreleased and should have probably stayed that way.  And now I'm hearing that T9's like Thunderous Blast have no crash anymore, and...Yeah, that just feels a bit wrong.

I dunno.  This isn't the first time I've played an MMO on a private server, I've been on countless Ragnarok servers with varying levels of broken tweaks, I just don't really want CoX to change too much because it was damned near perfect as-is.

My point is that I don't want buffs or nerfs.  I don't want anything but the game preserved as-is.  Maybe some things can be completed later on, if the team is up to it and if it can be balanced (God knows I want Wind Control), but if push comes to shove I would prefer to just have CoH frozen in time, the way I remember it.  Nothing more or less.

If you freeze it in time then you don't have CoH. Change was the game. The game in issue 1 bears almost no resemblance to I23. The only difference between a professional dev team and the Homecoming team changing the game is the original dev team got paid, and had to make game decisions based on profit. One of the main reasons MMOs or other forms of online games last so long is change. Someone may buy a single-player game and play it for a few years, but it gets old and stale because nothing about it changes. For example, I loved Diablo 2. I played that game more than anything for years. While sometimes I miss it, I also know if I ever tried to play again I'd take one look at the thing and realize that I've already done it all and I really don't want to play again.

No one is ever going to like every change made, but, if the game doesn't change the nostalgia will wear off and people will start drifting away.

• Thanks 1

Look around. See that game you are playing? You know the one that was gone for years. Ya, it came back.

And now that it is back, in come the people who are not happy. Never happy, with how things are. Have to look a git horse in the mouth, and spit on it. This game was gone..... forever, as most of us thought. It comes back, and people have to cry about experience gain. DFB. MSR. Incarnate. Leveling too fast. Too slow. Not enough people to group with because they are all doing MSR. ( insert bad word here that comes from a bull). All costumes are not unlocked. Jonny is playing a way that I don't like. Mary wont team with me.

Holy (insert bad word here). You self centered, ungrateful, entitled, little ( insert bad word here ).

Get off your high horse. Stop dictating how people should play. Stop trying to change this. We are lucky to have it. And now all you are going to do, is turn this into another lame mmo. That is going to cater to the crying masses. What the hell is wrong with you. This was lost to us forever, and now you can't be bothered to just enjoy that it is back.

Seriously. My old age, ( get off my lawn) must have made me appreciate what is given to me, more then others. Because the crying I have seen both in game and on this forum is pathetic. This is not the live version of the game. Things don't need to be like the live version. Just be (insert bad word here) happy you have this game, and play it as is. STOP TRYING TO CHANGE THE GIFT THAT HAS BEEN GIVEN TO YOU. Ya I know... caps.

TLDR: Grow up. Be happy you get to play this at all. Stop trying to change it.

giphy.gif

For giggles back in the day I 4 slotted brawl with damage procs.  It actually worked quite well as a filler and every once in a while they would all proc on the same hit and would brawl something for 300 damage.

Yeah...I did that too lol

Yeah...I did that too lol

Must have horribly confused anyone who saw that and recognized the Brawl animation. Then again, if you do decide to slot Brawl like any other attack, I remember it being okay. Not amazing or anything, but not useless either.

You must remember that this game is nothing more than an electronic version of an elementary school playground; it is full of good kids, bad kids, bullies, cheaters, and whiners.

I will always remember the feeling of loss and longing when the game was gone, and I will always be grateful that I am able to play again. While a few folks want to complain, I shall be off HAVING FUN PLAYING and accepting the challenge to play whatever stage the game is in.

We have our City back, people...something that has been requested for for YEARS.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

• 1 year later

The only change, I personally don't agree with is that getting capes, auras, costume slots has lost its sense of achievement. Those were career milestones man.😊

That said, olution is simple...I roll a basic toon and build it up gradually using my own self control 3xactly as I would have before.

All problems with game..........resolved😁

• Like 1

Imparting personal milestones in such a way is definitely a positive thing!  Good show, @Dafydd Hywel.  I know I'd like to see more players take that kind of approach.

I do think, though, that it would be nice to add some Badges or other unique rewards to the Cape and Aura Missions.  Maybe even bump up their difficulty as well.  Make them Milestone missions again, but do NOT tether costume pieces to it.  I very, very much approve of Costume pieces being 100% accessible from character creation.

. . . with one important exception:  Signature NPC Costume Pieces.

I still think it should be possible to earn those by defeating the Signature NPC (maybe X number of times), or by defeating another player in PvP who has earnt that Costume piece.

BUT, on the subject of this thread's original topic:  @Dr. Gemini got it right.  Kudos to you, Doc.  

• Like 2

Holy necrothread, Batman!

Update: Lots of necrothreads this morning. Alright, who picked up the book and said the words wrong?

Edited by skoryy
  • Like 1

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

On 5/29/2019 at 5:42 PM, Solarverse said:

It already is the most powerful. You've just slotted it wrong!

• Haha 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

3 minutes ago, Coyote said:

It really needs 7-slotting to reach its full Multiverse-Conquering potential

I dunno, I slotted mine with the Space Stone, the Reality Stone, the Power Stone, the Soul Stone, the Mind Stone and the Time Stone and killed nearly half the server like *THAT*.  I can't even imagine what a 7th stone would have done.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

1 hour ago, skoryy said:

Holy necrothread, Batman!

Update: Lots of necrothreads this morning. Alright, who picked up the book and said the words wrong?

To be fair, one page didn't seem quite right. 

0WVpgSN.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior