Unfortunately, if you have a Internet connected network, it's more WHEN than IF you are going to be hit.  And they may not be targeting you for gain.  It may be just practice.  A lot of the threat actors also hack for bragging rights.

As for Sanctuary, They may have been targeted, or it could have been street traffic.  If you look at the logs, those connecting IP's are from all over.  And what's more, they are probably all spoofed, so where they originated is most likely shrouded.  It's sad that we have to go to such extreme lengths to protect our systems.

I was trying to get a position with a local hospital group, and ended up giving up.  I found the hospital administration believed they were a health care provider, and not a technology company, and treated their CISSP like crap until he left.  They didn't even have an Executive Security officer. It's only a matter of time (watching other local hospital groups get hacked and having patient records stolen) before this way of thinking will be forcefully, painfully, and expensively, proven wrong.  Network security has to be a priority in any network worth looking at.

Something to think about:  The bad guys are working every day at their trade, and they have to succeed only once.  The good guys are working 8 to 5, and they have to succeed every time.

I feel bad for the Sanctuary folks, and I hope they recover.

• Like 2

Someone needs to add a Task Force in game.  We have saved dams.  We have saved Nuclear power plants. We need to save gaming servers!!!!

The main culprit can be a "network" of Bosses and minions that all have to be wiped with X amount of time or they start recreating themselves.  

I start to see the issue.  I had heard that crypto currency mining is INSANELY lucrative and the requirements for energy to do it is actually increasing global warming.  I was like WTF?  Comps doing that?  But from what I understand they have to crank a truly stupid number of patterns per second to get rich.  And they will burn the planet (or some unfortunate group of gamers) or anything else that stands in their way to do it.  Villainous Capitalism at its purest.

6 hours ago, MTeague said:

I am once again reminded that dogs are better people than a sizeable chunk of my own species.

I mean, dogs aren't exactly great conversationalists, and I'm sure if I was squirrel, I'd have a very dim view of dogs, too.

But if you think of servers as fire hydrants... well, dogs cause problems too and I don't care to follow this simile any further.

• Haha 2

50s (Indom and Excel):  Bluefox (Rad/Beam Rifle Corr), King Pumpkin Spice 🎃 (Mercs/Nature MM), Stupid Like A Fox (Time/DP Def), Poltergeist Prince (Darkness Control/Empathy 'Troller), Capt Sam's Space Zoo (Beast/FF MM), Snake Charming (Mind Control/Poison Troller), The Midnight Bridge (Storm/Rad Blast 'Fender)  Pawkysham Vex (Illusion/Trick Arrow Controller)  Piikal and P'Zhowm (Grav/Energy Dom)

On 3/15/2021 at 6:48 PM, Faultline said:

If you run a server and you don't have a very robust backup strategy, you are risking losing everything out of nowhere every single day.

I would go further and say that, if you use a computer for anything more significant than social media, and you don't have a back-up system in place, you're an idiot.

I recall an audio recording I heard over 30 years ago.  It was a guy whose laptop had suddenly died calling the tech company he had sent it to for repairs.  They informed him that the hard drive had failed completely and the data was unrecoverable.  The guy lost it, screaming that his doctoral thesis was on that computer and that he had no back-ups.  "That's a year of my life", he screamed.  You could just tell that the tech guy wanted to reply, "Dude, you were using an antique computer and had zero back-ups.  What did you expect?"

People make an occasional back-up and have some spare hardware and think they're in good shape.  No.  Assume that your computer is going to catch fire one day, and possibly also burn the house down.  Prepare contingency plans accordingly.

• Like 4

I used to hail from Infinity.  Mainly on Everlasting, now.

12 hours ago, Ironblade said:

I recall an audio recording I heard over 30 years ago.  It was a guy whose laptop had suddenly died calling the tech company he had sent it to for repairs.  They informed him that the hard drive had failed completely and the data was unrecoverable.  The guy lost it, screaming that his doctoral thesis was on that computer and that he had no back-ups.  "That's a year of my life", he screamed.  You could just tell that the tech guy wanted to reply, "Dude, you were using an antique computer and had zero back-ups.  What did you expect?"

I feel like the tech support guy should be offering up a haiku of some kind. 

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/haiku-windows-error-messages.81492/

I particularly like: 

Your file was so big.

It might be very useful.

But now it is gone.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MTeague said:

I feel like the tech support guy should be offering up a haiku of some kind. 

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/haiku-windows-error-messages.81492/

As an occasional haiku poet...  *shudder*  Those are to haiku as microwave dinners are to cooking.

• Haha 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

On 3/14/2021 at 1:19 AM, Snarky said:

Beyond the great sadness at fellow gamers being griefed I think it is important for us all to be aware.  To do what we can, even if it is just to stay informed.

First they came for someone in the neighborhood.  i did nothing.  Then for someone on my street.  i did nothing.  Then my next door neighbor.  I didnt know what to do.  Now they are here for me....

Sometimes it's best to turn a blind eye.