The best part of playing an old game is the old players

DougGraves

The same applies to RPG (D&D and the like) sessions.  References to Monty Python movies and skits, the afore mentioned movies, Star Trek original series, The Princess Bride, etc., are lost on the youth of today. Although not all, some have been "enlightened". 😄  

Here's a test, guess where this comes from:

"Well, he's... he's, ah... probably pining for the fjords."

(IMO, from one of the best skits ever)

Hard disagree.

Dead Parrot sketch may be one of their most iconic, but the Pythons have a plethora of titles which could take "best" from it in a heartbeat.

. . .

. . . does this thread have -anything- to do with City of Heroes?

Should we find some tangential link to ensure it's worth being in General Discussion and not Off-Topic?

Hmm . . . 

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Ingame_References

Hmmmm . . . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ironblade said:

I thought the tv show 'Police Squad' was on par with Airplane.  Probably because it had Leslie Nielsen playing the exact same type of character.

The 'Naked Gun' movies got a little too slapstick.

I still crack up at a pair of "Police Squad" jokes:. 

1. The "All-night wicker store"

2. Trying to recreate the bank teller murder scene, with the bodies piling higher with each attempt.

• Like 2

For me, (aside from the previously mentioned Princess Bride) one of my more quotable movies is Spaceballs. There are parts of that movie that would absolutely not go over well with some of my more culturally sensitive coworkers. For all of the cringe-worthy bits, though, there's a "Radar.....about to be....JAMMED!"

That, and the Ludicrous Speed thing. The Instant Videocassettes. The Transforming Spaceship.   .....yeah, I gotta rewatch that now.

On 3/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, DougGraves said:

...  They responded yes "Sinjin Smith".  They knew the top American pro beach volleyball players from the 80's. ...

Roger Moore/Bond used the alias "Sinjin Symthe" in A View To A Kill, which was 80s. Wonder if that was meant to be like an inside joke or something.

"I'm not old!"

"Well, I didn't know you were called 'Dennis'"

EDIT: grammar

Edited by Nemeroff

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

On 3/15/2021 at 1:29 PM, TemporalVileTerror said:

Hard disagree.

Dead Parrot sketch may be one of their most iconic, but the Pythons have a plethora of titles which could take "best" from it in a heartbeat.

. . .

. . . does this thread have -anything- to do with City of Heroes?

Should we find some tangential link to ensure it's worth being in General Discussion and not Off-Topic?

Eh...it's more or less SPAM.

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM...hey, Monty Python!  Link found.

11 hours ago, Hagis said:

For me, (aside from the previously mentioned Princess Bride) one of my more quotable movies is Spaceballs. There are parts of that movie that would absolutely not go over well with some of my more culturally sensitive coworkers. For all of the cringe-worthy bits, though, there's a "Radar.....about to be....JAMMED!"

There's only one man who would dare to give me the raspberry!  LONE STAR!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2021 at 9:55 PM, Heraclea said:

Few things make me happier than finding another player who gets my Firesign Theatre references. 

We're all bozos on this bus.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

7 minutes ago, Marshal_General said:

I once mentioned to a 19 year old that I went to the same high school as Tommy Shaw of Styx and she said, "Who's Styx?"

I felt like going home and taking Geritol while gumming my oatmeal.

...and I felt like Sailing Away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

9 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Oh you old person.  Like kids these days have heard of Wings

Who’s Paul Mcartney?:-)

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, cranebump said:

Who’s Paul Mcartney?:-)

*Raises eyes from smartphone*

Wait, wait...I know this one!  He was in that old British band...something with an insect in the name....

Oh, right!  The Bugaloos!

Yeah, he and that other British guy, the one who guest starred in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, you know...Davy Jones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Chairman said:

To be fair: I know who Paul McCartney is, but I have never heard of a band called Wings.

My 17 year old daughter knows Paul McCartney and the Beatles.  I doubt she has heard of Wings.

But the only post Beatles song she has probably heard from any of them is Photograph by Ringo Starr.

• Like 1

If you know Band on the Run, you know Wings.

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, rookery. said:

I know the jailer man and sailor sam were searching everyone for the Band on The Run.

Not to mention the county judge who held a grudge.:-)

• Like 1