The best part of playing an old game is the old players

DougGraves

14 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

It's 21 years old.  Almost a classic.

I guess that’s true. 1999 I think was the release date. I still think it needs to be in early 80s at the minimum for it to be considered “old”. Perhaps that is an old way of thinking though 😉 

Edited by Saikochoro

Heh, so funny!  I was on a team once and noted that I had to reboot my laptop because it was sluggish (or something along those lines), to which a team mate hysterically (I literally laughed out loud) noted that I sounded like an "80's thowback."  I found that hilarious and responded that "I AM an '80s throwback," having grown up (or at least reached adulthood, if not maturity) during those years.

These kids today . . . . :P

On 3/14/2021 at 10:36 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Very high on my list of movies. Up there with Blues Brothers and Kung Fu Hustle. Edit: And Airplane. One of the greatest comedies of all time.

Airplane!  OMG, that movie was hysterical back in the day.  Of course, I doubt it's permitted viewing today, but back then, it was the funniest thing after Animal House (another movie that is likely not recommended viewing these days).

Oh, and on the topic of oldies but goodies, I have a support toon (plant/emp troll) named Trapper Jayne.  I totally love her, but it's always so much fun when a teammate recognizes the (admittedly tenuous) allusion to Trapper John from MASH.  It happens more often than one might expect, actually, so yeah, we're a bunch of codgers.  :P

1 hour ago, Tahliah said:

Oh, and on the topic of oldies but goodies, I have a support toon (plant/emp troll) named Trapper Jayne.  I totally love her, but it's always so much fun when a teammate recognizes the (admittedly tenuous) allusion to Trapper John from MASH.  It happens more often than one might expect, actually, so yeah, we're a bunch of codgers.  😛

Really gets you when you realize that those six year olds who used to play with their dads when the game launched are now old enough to vote, drink, and buy guns.

2 hours ago, Tahliah said:

Oh, and on the topic of oldies but goodies, I have a support toon (plant/emp troll) named Trapper Jayne.  I totally love her, but it's always so much fun when a teammate recognizes the (admittedly tenuous) allusion to Trapper John from MASH.  It happens more often than one might expect, actually, so yeah, we're a bunch of codgers.  😛

I've seen all of M.A.S.H. (I think), yet I saw it after Trapper John, M.D. so I always think of Pernel Roberts' take on the character first.

Speaking of porting from TV characters, I don't know who created them, but I occasionally see some pretty good Greatest American Hero homages in-game.

1 hour ago, merrypessimist said:

Really gets you when you realize that those six year olds who used to play with their dads when the game launched are now old enough to vote, drink, and buy guns.

The vote part is the scariest.

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2021 at 5:24 PM, Tahliah said:

MASH is probably one of the most rerun TV series, currently on MeTV so I still watch an episode or 6 (as well as Hogan's Heroes..  "I see nothink!"), so it might not be that unusual for youngsters to have seen it.  Now, if someone was to play a Barney Fife knockoff then it would be amazing for young'ins to recognize it.

Now there's a theme for a CC: 60's TV characters. And a trivia contest to recognize them.  

Edited by gamingglen
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gamingglen said:

Now, if someone was to play a Barney Fife knockoff then it would be amazing for young'ins to recognize it.

Perhaps it is just the state that I'm from, but The Andy Griffith Show has never gone off the air here, and can often be found on multiple channels each day, just at different times.  It would be more likely that "kids" would know little to nothing of Green Acres or Petticoat Junction.

Question I had not long before shutdown:

"Why is your Fire/Fire blaster named The Amazing Redshirt?"  Along with "Why the shredded red shirt and black pants?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

6 hours ago, gamingglen said:

MASH is probably one of the most rerun TV series, currently on MeTV so I still watch an episode or 6 (as well as Hogan's Heroes..  "I see nothink!"), so it might not be that unusual for youngsters to have seen it.  Now, if someone was to play a Barney Fife knockoff then it would be amazing for young'ins to recognize it.

Now there's a theme for a CC: 60's TV characters. And a trivia contest to recognize them.  

I have a Fire/Dev blaster, Doc Burnz, a third gen from Frank Burns.  Only one player has commented they knew it was from MASH (longer write up), but great conversation ensued.

Old ain’t easy, that’s why they won’t let the young do it... or something like that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Question I had not long before shutdown:

"Why is your Fire/Fire blaster named The Amazing Redshirt?"  Along with "Why the shredded red shirt and black pants?"

Hopefully, these poor souls were from extremely remote outpost in the southern Indian ocean.

3 hours ago, Hardship said:

The Matrix was released WAY last century!

Dude!  It was released, like, last millenium!

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2021 at 9:31 AM, Marshal_General said:

I once mentioned to a 19 year old that I went to the same high school as Tommy Shaw of Styx and she said, "Who's Styx?"

I felt like going home and taking Geritol while gumming my oatmeal.

That's nothing.  I was once very earnestly informed that the thing that made U2 the greatest band was that they, unlike anyone else, included social protest in their music.

To quote the Straight Dope, "People today have the historical awareness of tree squirrels."

Edited by Sailboat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

Old.

I really don’t like that word...

It's not being old that bothers me. It's the aging part that sucks. The slow degradation, the inexorable pull of gravity... it's not decomposition yet but it sure seems similar.

There's a reason I drink.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

It's not being old that bothers me. It's the aging part that sucks. The slow degradation, the inexorable pull of gravity... it's not decomposition yet but it sure seems similar.

There's a reason I drink.

I'm 41, but Honestly... 35 is like a magical line where atoms and molecules in your body seem to give up and forget to do their jobs.

I use the analogy a lot but 35 and up is like a BMW that's out of warranty that starts to break down with weird issues - because fixing problems that happen after 35 ain't cheap either.

Funny, I just recently reached the opposite conclusion: one of the reasons I think I haven't been able to fully embrace CoH again is that the population feels just a little too old for me. Those loving references posted here make me groan, and I can feel the inexorable avalanche into Monty Python quotes from a mile away, yet feel helpless to prevent the tragedy.

It always did skew older-- I was a kid playing with adults back then and had no choice but to nod along with eternal referential humor.

But now I do have a choice, and apparently that involves the potential end of CoH for me.

C'est la vie, though. Glad you guys found fellow members of your tribe.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Runewritten said:

Funny, I just recently reached the opposite conclusion: one of the reasons I think I haven't been able to fully embrace CoH again is that the population feels just a little too old for me. Those loving references posted here make me groan, and I can feel the inexorable avalanche into Monty Python quotes from a mile away, yet feel helpless to prevent the tragedy.

It always did skew older-- I was a kid playing with adults back then and had no choice but to nod along with eternal referential humor.

But now I do have a choice, and apparently that involves the potential end of CoH for me.

Does this mean you're getting off our lawn? 😄

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

26 minutes ago, Runewritten said:

23 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Does this mean you're getting off our lawn? 😄

And can we has your stuff?  ☺️

I had a Halo game night with friends on Friday and we're having the same aging comments.  One of them pointed out that this quarterly Halo gaming group started 20 years ago.  While there I noticed the host's highly energized son with a Nintendo Switch, and I was thinking to myself, "Kid, when I was your age our handhelds played one game, were just movable red lights with 'blip, bleep, bloop' sounds, and had features like  sports fields painted on the glass.  And we liked it!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2