Nerfing rune of protections duration

Darkir

• 4 weeks later

My main Brute used RoP.  Due to running him all the time he is often called to Tank.  So, I invested, a lot...in an alt Tank build.  Kept RoP.  The main build I respec'd out of RoP.  Havent missed it.  Of course a Brute's Armor is slightly...a tiny bit...better than a Corruptor.  

I am building a Corruptor and seeing if I can learn the tactics and enjoy the build AT.  It will be a Dark Dark.  I never considered RoP for it.  My idea was softcap Ranged Def and maybe something else if I got lucky and try for other build goals like Rech and Dam

• 1 month later

I respec'd out of RoP on 90% of the characters that I had which used it.  Having a maximum up-time of 25% is not worth spending three power choices and taking up one of four power pool choices.  It went from being pretty dang good to marginal at best.  

1 hour ago, FUBARczar said:

I respec'd out of RoP on 90% of the characters that I had which used it.  Having a maximum up-time of 25% is not worth spending three power choices and taking up one of four power pool choices.  It went from being pretty dang good to marginal at best.  

33%. For me RoP has become less useful overall but Arcane Bolt and Enflame became more useful (much more so for some chars). So as a set it's way more balanced. 

But yes if you're taking Sorcery purely for RoP it's less attractive now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Carnifax said:

33%. For me RoP has become less useful overall but Arcane Bolt and Enflame became more useful (much more so for some chars). So as a set it's way more balanced. 

But yes if you're taking Sorcery purely for RoP it's less attractive now.

yeah 33, but on what AT are you using Arcane Bolt?

5 hours ago, FUBARczar said:

yeah 33, but on what AT are you using Arcane Bolt?

take a look at the actual damage of arcane bolt in game (mids needs to be updated on cast time and damage both)... its huge. especially when you proc arcane power, it does more damage than blazing bolt (instant version).  so it arcane bolt is actually useful, unlike boxing/kick from fighting pool.

rune of protection definitely is a shadow of its former self in high recharge builds, but still useful.

personally i really enjoy having fly/mystic flight but the fly pool is a dead end otherwise, so there are some useful options to pick up within the same power pool in sorcery side...

RoP is in a good place IMO. It takes Resist sets and needs no slotting, so its the perfect place to sink a +3% Def IO. I think comparing to a Break Free isn't quite accurate, to me it's more like a contract with the game that a certain percentage of Break Frees are guaranteed to drop into your tray. It really does make a difference in my survivability on fast moving lawnmower characters.

35 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

Yup. Gold on an Ice/Trap controller. Also on a Water corruptor but more as a route to Enflame as an experiment.

Brutes also could/should look into using Arcane Bolt. Brutes have the same damage modifier for melee and range, so having a range attack with that type of DPA that can utilize Fury and crit every 30s or so is pretty solid. 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

8 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

RoP is in a good place IMO. It takes Resist sets and needs no slotting, so its the perfect place to sink a +3% Def IO. I think comparing to a Break Free isn't quite accurate, to me it's more like a contract with the game that a certain percentage of Break Frees are guaranteed to drop into your tray. It really does make a difference in my survivability on fast moving lawnmower characters.

three power picks and one of your four power pools for a mule?  quite the cost.

22 minutes ago, FUBARczar said:

three power picks and one of your four power pools for a mule?  quite the cost.

No, because the power itself is actually useful. It's a one slot wonder and actually really good in that role. I think it's in the perfect sweet spot of balance.

1 hour ago, oedipus_tex said:

No, because the power itself is actually useful. It's a one slot wonder and actually really good in that role. I think it's in the perfect sweet spot of balance.

This. Its role shifted slightly in the last patch, which was irksome for my Fire/Nature corruptor because the 50/50 availability of a big Mez prot & resist power was the whole draw of Sorcery for them.

But on my Ice/Traps it's become a nice "take at 49, slot with a resist unique" cherry on top of the Arcane Bolt / Enflame sundae.

4 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

yeah I hear ya, but I also think it is lame that characters would get a better ST attack from a power pool than from their inherent attacks or Epic pool.  Unless perhaps if we are talking an MM or Controller 'cause they have such low dmg attacks in their primaries.  They make Flurry look good    haha!