Nerfing rune of protections duration

47 minutes ago, Coyote said:

I'm also wondering why the argument is in the Controllers forum

They actually did create identical versions of this thread in the defenders and corruptors forums as well as another in the general powerset section. Whether it was necessary to create four versions of the same thread is of course debatable. Apologies if I've misread the intention but there seems a distinct whiff of 'grab your torches and pitchforks, we need to assemble a mob' about this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know what edge cases triggered the nerf but the OP started a discussion of the same topic on the Defender forums as well. I don't see why that should preclude raising awareness of the issue here.

It is also not clear what overarching design principles the game is moving towards and what is best for an old game being run by an all volunteer workforce.

IMO one of the strengths of the game is and will always be customization; this includes power pool selection. Telling people to pick /Psi and move on is contrary to this design principle. Re-framing the contrast of IW vs ROP  as an action to move the level prerequisite for ROP to a higher level is valuable to the discussion (but probably wont fix anything).

2 hours ago, 5099y_74c05 said:

IMO one of the strengths of the game is and will always be customization; this includes power pool selection. Telling people to pick /Psi and move on is contrary to this design principle.

I think Controller Epics are generally very strong... /Ice is my favorite since it adds AoE that's normally lacking. /Psy adds the mez protection but isn't that great otherwise, /Mu brings a healing pet for secondaries that don't have healing and also a good AoE, /Earth has a bunch of excellent powers. I don't have a problem with the idea of "if mez protection is what you need the most and don't want to go Clarion, then go /Psy", because there are other strong pools that fit other builds better.

I think that in general, Power Pools should be improved... there should be more reason to consider what pools you're taking in a build. I love how the Teleport pool became not only usable, but good for a few builds who really benefit from pulling mobs into a killzone. That kind of change that makes a pool desirable is a good change.

But while I'd like to see pool powers improved in general, I'm really not understanding the idea of posting the same call to action on multiple boards... as @parabola said, it feels a bit like a call to grab torches and go rabble.

6 hours ago, Coyote said:

I'm also wondering why the argument is in the Controllers forum, who have access to Indomitable Will, and can AoE Control most spawns, and not in the Defender forum, who have no Epics with mez protection and depend far more on toggles as their main defense.

I can see a Time/* Defender complaining that they get their toggle dropped every other fight. If a /Time Controller is getting their toggle dropped at the same rate, I'd have to wonder why they're spending so much time in melee for a -ToHit debuff rather than just controlling at a distance.

I would think that Blasters, Defenders, and Corruptors are going to be impacted a lot worse by this chance than Controllers.

Good point. I mean... My controllers don't sweat status effects because I just multi-lock anything that could cause them. 

7 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

I'm just wondering what enemy groups y'all are fighting that you need 100% uptime on mez protection, and why you go through the hassle of alternating two powers every minute and a half instead of just hitting it reactively. That sounds like a chore!

Seriously, if you're soloing +4/x8 radios, just pick Council missions, or use AE and find a farm where the bad guys don't use mez. If you're on a team, let a meleer take alpha instead of Leeroying in if you're so afraid of the consequences of taking alpha. It's not that hard to avoid mez.

I'm just sayin', there's gotta be a better way than taking a pool you otherwise don't want, and abusing an ability to the point that the Devs notice and nerf it.

I can only think of one thing, and even then it's more a matter of convenience than anything else. And that's having to retoggle certain powers that don't auto-activate once a mez runs out. Other than that break frees and an occasional use of RoP should suffice. If all else fails Clarion can be made perma.

I use RoP on just two toons. And it's not for the status protection. It's for the resistance boost. I'm just not seeing where a 30 second duration nerf is going to make the power worthless. Just makes it a bit more situational than it already was.

11 hours ago, Coyote said:

I'm also wondering why the argument is in the Controllers forum, who have access to Indomitable Will, and can AoE Control most spawns, and not in the Defender forum, who have no Epics with mez protection and depend far more on toggles as their main defense.

I can see a Time/* Defender complaining that they get their toggle dropped every other fight. If a /Time Controller is getting their toggle dropped at the same rate, I'd have to wonder why they're spending so much time in melee for a -ToHit debuff rather than just controlling at a distance.

I would think that Blasters, Defenders, and Corruptors are going to be impacted a lot worse by this chance than Controllers.

My current main is a fire/ time defender and I’m a tank on it. The nerf will mean I have to keep re toggling a lot more. Pain in the asssss.

I personally feel it's a quality of life for the char. Having spend many hours playing Defenders I can tell you having to spend all your time making BF's is not the best thing in the world.  ...Hmmm, I could use these yellows to improve my acc or purples for Defense, but I really need to convert them to BF's so I'm not mezzed this fight. 

Yes, you can spend all your IO's making better Defense for your char but it's kind of frustrating when I have to do this on a toggle based char who only needs to be hit by a 1 quarter second sleep (and everything has that at high levels) to make your toggles and you go bye bye.  A good example for me is my Naff/DP defender. He has 

3 detoggle-able abilities and as such can get into real trouble if he's hit at high levels without mez protection. 

Even with high defense every shot on you has a 5% chance of causing severe trouble for the support character. 

Back on live, the devs eventually came to notice that a mez in every pot hurt the individual gameplay of toggle users and they did take some steps to solve it for some toggles, but not for everyone. 

This same type of mezzing power has no effect at all on tanks, brutes, scrappers nor assassins. It is very coverable on dominators and controllers (they even get help in their epics). Even blasters get the ability to keep blasting with their tier 1 and 2 powers. 

I like my characters aggressive and anything that lessens the options for me getting there is not a good change in my book. 

In case you can't tell the resist values in that power are not really the main concern from my point of view. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later

OR you can look at it like they gave you the power at a recharge that took 260% (+160%) recharge to get to....the duration for it is shorter but you don't have to worry about recharge to get to use it often. 

Edited by WitchZero
Mids Value vs. required amount of recharge%