Homecoming Server Update (May 29th): User Agreement & Policy Updates

Jimmy

Mandrake, I'm unclear...

What facts did I get wrong?  Please help me to understand.  I said in the post, it's possible we don't have all the information...

Why do you assume my "panties are in a twist?"  Did you read the post?  I said pretty clearly that a.) I appreciate all the work they are doing, b.) not asking for full transparency, and c.) I don't assume that there is any wrong doing.

In fact never was I sarcastic, hyperbolic, extreme or threatening.  I just laid out a list of facts and the only conclusions we can draw. 

What we cannot conclude is that have been transparent enough in this one area (of how they are set up).  Any as long as they are accepting money from people for any reason, they should be clear about where the money is going and to whom.

If you aren't going to give them a few weeks to get lined out, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not Trashing anyone for questioning something - I am pointing out when people make ASSUMPTIONS and point them out as a FACT LIST, that they have not researched enough.

Fact: You have got your panties in a wad, and you have not researched Delaware well enough.

Seriously though - doesn't sound like I'm the one whose upset here

Fact: You can setup and operate a LLC much faster in Delaware compared to a non-profit. Lookup any number of case histories. It is better to setup a LLC, while you wait for your non-Profit to get setup, approved, and instated. Regardless if you are in a state that you can convert it, or file for a separate entity (which is always better)
  Untrue - In Delaware, no prior approval or registration is needed from state agencies to incorporate or amend as a non-profit.  It's automatic

Fact: You are conflating the online registration service of an agent-service to the state itself, which does not apply to both types of business models.
I am doing no such thing.  It just happens to be the service that they used.  I didn't pick any service.  Just the one that Homecoming used

Side note: Every single accountant I know, might recommend Delaware for a LLC, but STRONGLY recommend against it for a Non-Profit. for the very reason you must obtain *and retain* a registered agent for the state, and you will pile up costs you would not otherwise have. You should file in the main state of operations. Or a friendly state that does not require an extra Certificate of Authority that costs you more than your initial filing!
I agree for the most part that this true.  However, I had an attorney friend point me here a year ago - https://www.501c3.org/incorporate-nonprofit-delaware when I was researching this for another non-profit.

Fact: Get over it already. Nobody is trashing anyone - but if you're going to keep on the hype train, other people will point out the factual differences from what you are espousing.
Still waiting for an actual discrepancy in my facts...

Anyone who STOPS the donations, rather than let them keep piling in with half-assed promises to keep them for later use? They've got a long way to go for me before I start hanging them up on the conspiracy line. Whatever floats your boat. I'm done with any commentary here. Believe what you want - I've provided way more information here for free than I would during a normal initial consultation. Best of luck!
I agree 100% your statement.  It's awesome to see them cap the donations.  It's why I don't think they are playing us, however I'd love to see what you would actually recommend in a consultation...Would you recommend a non-profit not incorporate as a non-profit prior to accepting donations?  Because every lawyer I've spoken with rolled his eyes when I suggested it a couple of years ago.

Thanks to the devs and admins who got this going and I'm sorry you have to put up with this stuff while you get it all sorted. I know how much of a pain in the ass it is because I have to setup and dissolve these sorts of small businesses all day every day, and deal with all the different state bologna that goes along with the federal mandates.
I agree!  Thank you devs and admins...keep up the great work, but I would like to know where we stand on this...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

(SNIP, lots of text)

I think you replied to the wrong thread. You probably want the patch notes thread, this one is discussing the User Agreement (and has apparently shifted to a discussion on whether Homecoming GMs are stealing our money and personal info or just taking donations to cover server costs and getting our email addresses and IP addresses for the usual reasons they're needed, ie to register an account, and so the devs can ban/IPban someone who does something deserving of one).

(SNIP, lots of text)

I think you replied to the wrong thread. You probably want the patch notes thread, this one is discussing the User Agreement (and has apparently shifted to a discussion on whether Homecoming GMs are stealing our money and personal info or just taking donations to cover server costs and getting our email addresses and IP addresses for the usual reasons they're needed, ie to register an account, and so the devs can ban/IPban someone who does something deserving of one).

You are correct, sorry. Not sure how i mixed up the 2 threads.

You have one group of people saying we can get in trouble for even playing and the other saying the opposite hmmmm.

It's quite possible, and not even improbable that NCSoft might pursue some form of legal action against the Homecoming team to shut down the server.

If history is any guide however, it's extremely unlikely that NCSoft would pursue the end users playing CoH on Homecoming.  It would be hard to prove any damages came directly from the end users.

The User Agreement really says the following

1.) Homecoming will protect your IP address and Email

2.) You will abide by their Code of Conduct..  The worst Homecoming will do is ban you from the game if you breach it.

3.) You have to be 13 years or older to play the game.  This has to do with compliance with Federal Law.

4.) An indemnity clause stating that you play at your own risk, and won't sue Homecoming for any experiences you have in the game.

The User Agreement is really about them protecting themselves from both the end users and the federal government.  It does nothing to increase your own legal risk in the playing the game, which is already extremely unlikely for you in the first place.

TL;DR - Accept the Agreement, Have Fun, and don't get overly invested because NCSoft could shut it all down tomorrow...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

You have one group of people saying we can get in trouble for even playing and the other saying the opposite hmmmm.

It's quite possible, and not even improbable that NCSoft might pursue some form of legal action against the Homecoming team to shut down the server.

If history is any guide however, it's extremely unlikely that NCSoft would pursue the end users playing CoH on Homecoming.  It would be hard to prove any damages came directly from the end users.

The User Agreement really says the following

1.) Homecoming will protect your IP address and Email

2.) You will abide by their Code of Conduct..  The worst Homecoming will do is ban you from the game if you breach it.

3.) You have to be 13 years or older to play the game.  This has to do with compliance with Federal Law.

4.) An indemnity clause stating that you play at your own risk, and won't sue Homecoming for any experiences you have in the game.

The User Agreement is really about them protecting themselves from both the end users and the federal government.  It does nothing to increase your own legal risk in the playing the game, which is already extremely unlikely for you in the first place.

TL;DR - Accept the Agreement, Have Fun, and don't get overly invested because NCSoft could shut it all down tomorrow...

Ok thank you.