Lightning Rod is Amazing!

Herotu

1 hour ago, Razor Cure said:

Savage leap is simply AMAZING when slotted and proc'd out (and shitful otherwise, besides the recharge). Sure, you could proc out SC and LR, but those powers want max damage enhancements too. SL doesnt really need it. This all comes back to the way procs work which may be getting looked at?

You can't really proc out lightning rod or shield charge.  They both summon pseudopets, which means they proc as though they had a ten second recharge instead of a ninety second one.

Caveat: at least, that's how it used to work, haven't checked to see if the powers were reformulated to avoid pseudopets in recent builds.

Edited by aethereal

13 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

Is it though? I mean..it LOOKS amazing, no doubt.

On a brute the damage is very good (but not amazing).

On a scrapper I assume the crits are awesome, depending how often it does crit.

On a tank I am sure the extra aoe targets hit would be very good..but you get tank damage.

On a stalker it cant crit (or couldnt, I tried in back on Live), which is saad. Best thing is you keep Hide status.

The recharge is..honestly..for what it does, pretty shit. Sure, IOs and destiny and all that jazz, but as is? Being able to only use your tier9 every minute? When other melee sets can say..chain two aoes together for similar damage, in less than half the time?

It is pretty on par with shield charge (although SC also has the idiodic mechanic of the SHielf set WANTING you in melee, for AAO. I am not sure if the damage buff will fade before SC hits). But compared to Savage Leap..well..not so much.

Savage leap is simply AMAZING when slotted and proc'd out (and shitful otherwise, besides the recharge). Sure, you could proc out SC and LR, but those powers want max damage enhancements too. SL doesnt really need it. This all comes back to the way procs work which may be getting looked at?

Well, LR functions more as a mini-nuke, nukes being way more about raw burst, so I don’t think DPS is the only lens it should be viewed through. 

Interesting point about AAO. Never thought of that. 

Appreciate the rep for Savage Leap as I have been on the fence about makimg a Savage Melee character for a long time. Mostly due to how hard it is to interpret the numbers on that set from the raw in-game data. Think you’ve swung me with your enthusiasm.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:30 AM, Coyote said:

Is Spring Attack still bugged so it doesn't properly take buffs like Fulcrum Shift? I think that used to be its problem some time ago... I don't recall for sure, just that there was some major problem with improving the damage on it. Buffs? Procs didn't work in it? I don't recall which, but I don't recall seeing anything about a fix to it in Patch notes.

As far as I can tell, Spring Attack is now fixed on Beta.  Just tested it myself.  They rebuilt how the power works on the back-end and it now respects damage enhancements and bonus damage.

Moreover, it works with Procs as you'd expect them too based on it's recharge.  Meaning that, considering it's long recharge, procs nearly always go off on mobs it hits.  (Up too 90%)  It functions how Mids says it should now.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Teirusu said:

As far as I can tell, Spring Attack is now fixed on Beta.  Just tested it myself.  They rebuilt how the power works on the back-end and it now respects damage enhancements and bonus damage.

Moreover, it works with Procs as you'd expect them too based on it's recharge.  Meaning that, considering it's long recharge, procs nearly always go off on mobs it hits.  (Up too 90%)  It functions how Mids says it should now.

Thank you. That's great to know, I had wanted to use it on a /Kinetics MM since they normally struggle to do AoE damage and a Fulcrum-shifted SA with procs working would be great... but I remembered that it wasn't doing what it was supposed to do. If it's fixed, I think I'll have to revisit a couple of builds that could use an AoE damage bonus coupled with a teleport into melee. A Dark/Kin Controller, for example.

6 hours ago, arcane said:

Appreciate the rep for Savage Leap as I have been on the fence about makimg a Savage Melee character for a long time. Mostly due to how hard it is to interpret the numbers on that set from the raw in-game data. Think you’ve swung me with your enthusiasm.

It is a fun set! I'd totally say Savage is a LOT more fun than good, until you get it tricked out. The lethal damage isnt great, dot's make burst damage seem even less, and the Exhaustion mechanic is..well..not great. Other sets (StJ, Staff, WaterB) gets combos with literally zero penalty or downtime in building those combos. And like you said, its super hard to get any idea exactly wtf the combos are doing to the savage powers.

That said, proc'd out, it is amazing. I'd actually say too good, because the difference is just night and day. Someone else had a really good SM thread, laying out all the procs and stuff. Savage Leap becomes insane, basically a Nuke thats on a sub 20 sec timer, also doing aoe -res with a proc. And Hemorrhage is great on stalkers, as it always crits (and can do over 1000 damage).

However..who knows what, if any, difference the floated proc changes will make. On one hand, I do think procs in the case of Savage are too good (basically because without them the set is super average), but huge changes would just kill it.

55 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

It is a fun set! I'd totally say Savage is a LOT more fun than good, until you get it tricked out. The lethal damage isnt great, dot's make burst damage seem even less, and the Exhaustion mechanic is..well..not great. Other sets (StJ, Staff, WaterB) gets combos with literally zero penalty or downtime in building those combos. And like you said, its super hard to get any idea exactly wtf the combos are doing to the savage powers.

That said, proc'd out, it is amazing. I'd actually say too good, because the difference is just night and day. Someone else had a really good SM thread, laying out all the procs and stuff. Savage Leap becomes insane, basically a Nuke thats on a sub 20 sec timer, also doing aoe -res with a proc. And Hemorrhage is great on stalkers, as it always crits (and can do over 1000 damage).

However..who knows what, if any, difference the floated proc changes will make. On one hand, I do think procs in the case of Savage are too good (basically because without them the set is super average), but huge changes would just kill it.

So when you say tricked out, do you mean on level 50+ content? Or do you mean any content using attuned enhancements?

4 hours ago, Herotu said:

So when you say tricked out, do you mean on level 50+ content? Or do you mean any content using attuned enhancements?

Well tricked out with procs. I dont have many sets attuned on my Savage stalker, just the ATOs, some hecatombs and procs. Having the damage procs makes the set awesome, on any content.

8 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

Well tricked out with procs. I dont have many sets attuned on my Savage stalker, just the ATOs, some hecatombs and procs. Having the damage procs makes the set awesome, on any content.

Hecatombs are level 50 IOs, so.. you mean a level 50 build. Would I be wrong in suggesting that you meant that Savage Melee is only great when you get to level 50 to be able to trick it out as you did?

I only ask because that explains why sometimes people like to just grind their way to 50, skipping all the content (which they can later do SK'd or via Ouro). 

18 hours ago, Herotu said:

All procs can be attuned without drawbacks since they do not need boosting, so proc damage heavy builds would help with all levels of content.

ET is the best power in the set, if energy needs anything I would say a bigger radius for whirling hands of wider cone for power crash because the aoe is the the only lacking hard in energy. Arguments that the aoe should be lackluster are well noted as it’s a single target powerhouse set. Power crash even with energy focus is very underwhelming, none of this had to do with lightning rod except maybe show where things would need to fit in if they were worth considering at all. 

10 hours ago, Herotu said:

Would I be wrong in suggesting that you meant that Savage Melee is only great when you get to level 50 to be able to trick it out as you did?

No. I would say that is totally correct. But I played the set all the way to 50 (3 times actually, lol), not farming. It is fun, and decent 1-50, but not great. AT 50, with teh procs and other goodies, it IS great, playing, or doing lower content.