The Snyder Cut is 4 hours!

Coming into this considerably late, but I have absolutely no Internet or cable hookups that would have allowed me to see this back in March, and had to wait until the Blu-ray went up for retail purchase on May 27.

First off, I'd have to give full disclosure and state that I saw Watchmen in the theatre twice, Man of Steel three times, Dawn of Justice four, so it's fair to say that I've got some predispositions for Zack Snyder as a director.  As a comparison, I saw Joss Whedon's Justice League once, and got the Blu-ray mostly out of a desire to 'complete the set'...and I've never been able to watch it all the way through; can't even remember the last time I even tried.

For myself, I think that Mr. Snyder turned Justice League up to eleven in terms of directing quality, dramatic cinematic impact and raw story, and it's a damned, damned shame that we likely won't be seeing him get back to the DCEU any time in the near future.  The sole hope is that higher-ups at AT&T - and these individuals are the ones who mandated Snyder's completion of the unassembled cut, Warner Bros. wanted it burned to ash and the remains disposed of in a black hole - will see what kind of income and artistic kudos came out of this and extend the welcoming hand of return.  I'd be perfectly happy to put Mr. Snyder put into a sort of overall production role for the DCEU, similar to the outright fantastic job Kevin Feige has done for the MCU, but I have a strong suspicion that Snyder wouldn't be too jazzed about that kind of position, and more to the point, he'd recognize that DC, superhero stories or not, simply has a different approach to its universe's storytelling than Marvel: where Marvel pursued a unified production vision from minute one, DC treats its characters, and their worlds, as unique entities, each with their own world that need not ever touch the others...and if they do, there's every chance it'll be strictly transactional and not have any impact that draws out past the immediate story in any significant way.  And I'm okay with that - just as I'm okay with Marvel's coordinated universal vision.  I only ask one thing of either, or any comics company, really: Tell us a good fricking story.  Anything after that is just gravy.  And as far as I'm concerned, Zack Snyder's Justice League tells us that oood story and just won't quit.

Edited by Black Talon
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1