Titles available at the Trainer

Icecomet

Hello.  It was suggested to me by a GM that I bring my feedback from Discord and put it here as a formal suggestion because he liked the idea, so, here it is.

I was thinking today, something else I'd like to see expanded and I would expect it wouldn't be difficult (but we know that the game code is a mess and nothing is ever really easy, lol), and that is, add MORE titles to the trainers to choose from.  I have so many toons that there is NOTHING that's really applicable to my concept or how I view them.  Expanding that list would be fantastic!!

Or, and even better thing would be to find a way to allow manual text input?  Though I know that can be problematic because some people would be trying to put vulgar, profane or suggestive things in there, so, something like that would likely require significant code work to check for those sorts of things so maybe not as doable.

Additionally, as a start, Take One on Discord also said a good start make all origin titles available across all origins?  To be honest, I didn't even know the titles varied with Origin because I usually just default to magic, lol.

Lastly, Veracor suggested rolling the resistance/loyalist titles into vigilante/rogue alignments.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Edited by Icecomet
Added some additional feedback
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

Origin: Icecomet  (Arc ID 24805), Origin: Icecomet - Chapter 2  (Arc ID 29282), Origin Icecomet - Chapter 3 (Arc ID 39625)

Chapters 4 & 5  (Under development, Coming Soon!)

Great suggestion. And yes, while it would theoretically be nice, the option to abuse text input is there, so I'd have to say no from this player on that.  But with enough new stock titles then that could make a difference at least.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

5 hours ago, Icecomet said:

Or, and even better thing would be to find a way to allow manual text input?  Though I know that can be problematic because some people would be trying to put vulgar, profane or suggestive things in there, so, something like that would likely require significant code work to check for those sorts of things so maybe not as doable.

My immediate reaction reading this was "haven't we learned by now that we can't have nice things? it's going to get abused, and the GM's will start having to be Title Police."

Then I thought about it more, and there may be a way to make it work. 

I'm thinking of how the /surname command worked in EverQuest.

Essentially, a text box where you submit a word/phrase for approval.  approval would NOT be immediate.  GM's would get to it when they get to it. So maybe you submit it Monday and Wednesday it's approved or denied.  MORE, it could be done in a way that, once a title is approved, it could be flagged to be included for general use. As a title ANYONE could select from the standard list without NEEDING  to re-submit it.  So over time, the requests might diminish

That would allow players creativity to ask for what they want, with a pre-filter before it appears in game.

• Like 2

Indeed.

Having more avenues for creativity doesn't really equate to an increase in the amount of players who are going to try to push boundaries.  They can already do that with character names, biographies, and costumes.  The community polices that already by reporting anything to the GMs, who then get to review.

Still, options to empower players to remove unpleasantness client-side are always a good idea.  An option to hide other players' Custom Titles would certainly provide a solid tool to potentially de-escalating problematic encounters in a world where players can write their own surnames.

• Like 1

They could just have a public list available to refer to for text-input. These would be pre-approved titles that would work similar to how a bad-word list would, but for titles. This list could easily be maintained and updated without having to actively watch for violations. I've been dying for more titles myself, especially edgier ones like 1337 from Technology(or was it science origins?)

Edited by Nayeh

I'd totally be up for having the resistance/loyalist titles ported over to primal search characters somehow, rolling them into the vigilante/rogue alignments would be a cool way of going about it.

I'm not against the idea of custom titles, but from what I remember that's what yellow titles were for, so maybe we could just customise our own yellow titles if the code behind regular titles wont allow for custom text.