Focused Feedback: Travel Power Updates (Build 2)

I had to liquor up to get enough to be somewhere near the bravery to ask for this again.

Please please consider bumping up the "natural" "travel powers" of Quickness(SR, maybe something else)/Mental Something (VEATS).  Why?  I IO'ed a few characters just to run fast.  Sets, frankenslotting, 2 slotting quickness/SWIFT/Sprint.  Even 50+5 some of them.

And for whoever else is wondering, SR/MA tanker.  Storm Kick puts me over the caps even in Positron TF range.

Others are in the 80mph range.

Or ya know, lie to me and tell me that the Natural Origin Power Pools will get me back here with even less effort.

old.jpg.73753ad4885545805928b61082f04154.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GM Arcanum said:

SuperSpeed_SpeedPhase.png.be2bac846fa85fc6ccc538976819a9c0.png Speed Phase

• New free secondary (server tray) power that doesn't require a power pick
  • Toggle, moderate endurance cost
  • Removes collision with characters (ie: phase shift without being untargetable), and sets you to Only Affect Self
    • This allows you to pass through enemies, allies, civilians, cars, and even the Atlas Park blimp!
    • The effects of this power (including the OAS component) will suppress if you are attacked or damaged by an enemy
    • Note: as this power doesn't actually make you intangible, it doesn't trigger (and isn't affected by) the No Phase timer
  • Null the Gull will allow you to hide Speed Phase's pop-up tray

Definitely going to request a Minimal FX option for Speed Phase again - it'd be neat to have that alongside the currently existing Minimal FX for Super Speed. Thanks again for the hard work, devs! 😄

30 minutes ago, Blackfeather said:

Definitely going to request a Minimal FX option for Speed Phase again - it'd be neat to have that alongside the currently existing Minimal FX for Super Speed. Thanks again for the hard work, devs! 😄

If we could convince the devs to make one of the color choices in the palette be 'invisible' it would solve all the problems everywhere and no more requests for minimal FX since we could carefully tailor all our auras. Is this one too obtrusive (all the Adaptations in Bio Armor for example)? Color it 'invisible'. Does this power have a too loud effect and we don't like to be constantly spewing vapor (Beta Decay, Irradiated Ground)? Color it 'invisible'.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Luminara said:

<New Stealth>
Is that out of combat Defense added to the power as a discrete component, or was the overall Defense increased?  Point of the question is to determine whether the power's in-combat Defense is half of the new out of combat value, or half of the old out of combat value.  Meaning, is the in-combat Defense 1.75% or 3.5%?

<Infiltration>

And is there any in-combat Defense here?

Well, if no-one's going to address the questions, I'll go ahead and raise some potential issues anyway.

Presuming the in combat Defense totals in this version of Stealth are half of the out of combat totals, the power is now better than Superior Invisibility.  That's a first tier pool power out-performing a controller primary power.  As it stands, it's also better than Weave, a fourth tier pool power, since it offers twice as much out of combat Defense and total invisibility to boot.  That doesn't strike me as appropriate.

If, however, the added Defense is all out of combat, and all lost when the character clicks a glowie/is hit/whatever, then it should be noted that the in-combat Defense buff is only the original amount.  That kind of information that needs to be front and center.

If the Defense only suppresses to half, you're going to have Illusion controllers and a hell of a lot of people who invested in Fighting to get to Weave shitting themselves with rage; and if the Defense suppresses to a fourth, and it's not clearly and directly noted in the power's description, you're going to have an angry mob shouting about bait and switch tactics.  Neither is desirable.

And regarding Infiltration, I think the Defense portion is a poor choice.  As a means of preventing foes from hitting the character during travel, it's too low to make any difference, especially considering the Stealth component of the power.  The total is too low to have any appreciable combat value, either, presuming half of it is retained when engaging in combat activities.  0.875% Defense, even with archetype modifiers, isn't going to be worth slotting.  This gives the impression that the Defense is only there to allow for slotting certain global/unique IOs, which, in turn, suggests that we're taking the first step away from SOs as the baseline.  I think +Perception or +Sleep protection would be more befitting, to reflect the preternatural alertness of someone moving rapidly but stealthily.

I'm not going to pitch a hissy fit if these powers go live without change, obviously, but I do think they'll come back to bite you (the HC team) on the asses if these points aren't addressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Could 

4 minutes ago, Luminara said:

I think +Perception or +Sleep protection would be more befitting, to reflect the preternatural alertness of someone moving rapidly but stealthily.

I think the +Perception and out of combat DEF. would be great to the new stealth travel power! I would be able to skip tactics if I wanted to. It would open up more build options. I could skip the leadership pool. 

Kill Most ITFs! Defender Tank! dahkness11 - Twitch

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Presuming the in combat Defense totals in this version of Stealth are half of the out of combat totals

25% of the defense is in combat (or rather, doesn't suppress in combat), 75% of the defense is out of combat (gets suppressed in combat). Only the out of combat defense was increased for the power, the in combat defense stayed the same.

Edited by Bopper
  • Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

28 minutes ago, Bopper said:

25% of the defense is in combat (or rather, doesn't suppress in combat), 75% of the defense is out of combat (gets suppressed in combat). Only the out of combat defense was increased for the power, the in combat defense stayed the same.

That should be specified in the description.  "If, however, you attack while using this power, you will be discovered and will lose your Stealth and 75% of the Defense bonus."

1 minute ago, Luminara said:

That should be specified in the description.  "If, however, you attack while using this power, you will be discovered and will lose your Stealth and 75% of the Defense bonus."

It is in the description. Are you seeing something I'm not? It doesn't get into "how much" of your defense bonus is lost (but descriptions rarely go into that kind of detail), but the concept of losing some of your defense in combat is mentioned. Also the patch notes mentioned the amount of defense out of combat doubled, so folks who already knew that Live version of stealth had half its defense lost when in combat should now know that 75% of its defense will be lost when in combat.

image.thumb.png.f7da1f786d0b33ffb309ada574b2b814.png

• Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

16 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Went in game, looks like they did update the description.

image.thumb.png.7739b744d442ea7dadc45f460658b82a.png

It looks like when you open up the detailed info, it only shows you the defense contribution that suppresses in combat, it does not show the defense contribution that persists in combat. In the combat attributes window you can see both contributions. Perhaps they should update the description to say you will lose most of your Defense bonus, that way folks can atleast infer it from the combat attributes window if they need to know exact numbers. But I would like to see the display fixed to show both effects in the Info window.

image.thumb.png.b97d21d553f2fd7ed2959663ae49c7d6.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bopper said:

It is in the description. Are you seeing something I'm not?

I'm not seeing anything, since I can't download the beta files due to my limited Internet capability.  That's why I asked.

7 minutes ago, Bopper said:

It doesn't get into "how much" of your defense bonus is lost (but descriptions rarely go into that kind of detail), but the concept of losing some of your defense in combat is mentioned.

That's always been the case, yes.  But the case was previously half, not three quarters.

Assuming that everyone reads the beta forums, goes to Brainstorm to test and stays up to date with changes is a mistake.  If the power doesn't specifically tell players that they lose most of the Defense, the older players who think they know how the power works based on previous experience and/or comparison to other powers with similar effects are going to be unpleasantly surprised, the new players who don't know how the power works are going to be unpleasantly surprised, and both groups are going to raise a ruckus.

Don't expect a nebulously worded patch note and word of mouth to do the job.  The description needs to be clear on what's happening.  We don't need a 75 page thread of complaints and arguments about Stealth three days after P2 goes live.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Luminara said:

I'm not seeing anything, since I can't download the beta files due to my limited Internet capability.  That's why I asked.

That's always been the case, yes.  But the case was previously half, not three quarters.

Assuming that everyone reads the beta forums, goes to Brainstorm to test and stays up to date with changes is a mistake.  If the power doesn't specifically tell players that they lose most of the Defense, the older players who think they know how the power works based on previous experience and/or comparison to other powers with similar effects are going to be unpleasantly surprised, the new players who don't know how the power works are going to be unpleasantly surprised, and both groups are going to raise a ruckus.

Don't expect a nebulously worded patch note and word of mouth to do the job.  The description needs to be clear on what's happening.  We don't need a 75 page thread of complaints and arguments about Stealth three days after P2 goes live.

So we're in agreement, the description should say "most".

20 hours ago, macskull said:

It's not a lot of range increase, so you won't see much benefit from it over short distances. Once you factor in range enhancements basically being more effective and the extra range making it faster over long distances 50ft is pretty generous. That's basically the difference between 91MPH and 106MPH, assuming no range slotting or bonuses. With ED-capped range slotting that changes to 142MPH and 166MPH.

20 hours ago, Jimmy said:

When fully slotted, it's getting close to not being able to see where you're teleporting to if you haven't got a high draw distance!

I think Teleport is in a good spot, but if for some reason we did think it needed another buff I don't think the range would get touched any further.

Thank you for the information!

I'll have to experiment more with this and see if I can get a better feel for it, then.

On 3/20/2021 at 8:50 AM, GM Arcanum said:

Classic travel powers (Fly, Super Speed, etc) should be on even footing with Origin Pool travel powers - and ideally, be better at the core thing they do (running, flying,  jumping)

i’m going to mention again, right now mighty leap is still better at jumping then super jump, because people with mighty leap can pick up the jump pack to replace double jump, but people with super jump have no way of getting what takeoff gives mighty leap users.

does anyone have any comment on this at all?

10 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

What if Acrobatics were to give a buff similar to Takeoff, so the Super Jump user had the option to invest in more powers to become as fast or faster than the Mighty Leap user?

Would be reasonable as long as the maximum wasn't as high as Takeoff could get you - you'd end up with being faster than Mighty Leap most of the time with Mighty Leap being faster in short bursts - and it would incentivize people to take Acrobatics again.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

2 hours ago, macskull said:

Would be reasonable as long as the maximum wasn't as high as Takeoff could get you - you'd end up with being faster than Mighty Leap most of the time with Mighty Leap being faster in short bursts - and it would incentivize people to take Acrobatics again.

Except correct me if I'm wrong, with enough recharge the buff from Takeoff is Perma.

1 hour ago, SuperPlyx said:

Just curious but why words like "most" and "some" why not just say 75% ?? Is it 75% ? If so, say so.

I had a sudden harkening back to the days of 'moderate damage' and 'superior damage' and no numbers until the playerbase united and got those numbers by themselves.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Except correct me if I'm wrong, with enough recharge the buff from Takeoff is Perma.

Yes, but in this case "enough recharge" is 300% global recharge because you can't slot any recharge into Takeoff itself.

EDIT: More like 330% if you account for animation time.

Edited by macskull

4 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

Just curious but why words like "most" and "some" why not just say 75% ?? Is it 75% ? If so, say so.

Perhaps this could be part of a sweeping change to power text descriptions, but with very few exceptions this game's power text descriptions do not give any numbers at all.

Meant to post this in this thread, not the powers thread!

With the discussion about Infiltration being slotted with Universal Travel sets to improve both run and jump, I’m reminded of a question about Mystic Flight. If Mystic Flight is slotted with Universal Travel sets, will Translocation be improved?

If not, is that a bug, or by design? If nobody knows, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could test it while all the other Travel Sets are being tested. (I’ve not been able to get on live, much less Beta, for a couple of months due to real life obligations.)

@Xing, I just happened to be on beta doing testing related to this, so to answer your question:

At Level 50, unslotted Translocation teleported me 115 yds in-game.

Adding the set of Level 50 Winter's Gift to Mystic Flight, Translocation teleported me 115 yds in-game as well.

Aside from using set bonuses or Incarnates maybe, I don't believe Translocation's distance can be increased.

Edit: Same test using Speed of Sound's Jaunt ability resulted in same distance traveled as well.

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 3/21/2021 at 6:08 AM, Sovera said:

If we could convince the devs to make one of the color choices in the palette be 'invisible' it would solve all the problems everywhere and no more requests for minimal FX since we could carefully tailor all our auras. Is this one too obtrusive (all the Adaptations in Bio Armor for example)? Color it 'invisible'. Does this power have a too loud effect and we don't like to be constantly spewing vapor (Beta Decay, Irradiated Ground)? Color it 'invisible'.

FFXIV has an "invisible option" for costume parts and effects humorously called "Emperor's New XXX".

Ex: So if it's invisible gloves that make your hands look bare, aka no gloves on, it's "Emperor's New Gloves".

Needless to say it allows for a variety of tricks that you can't normally do and allows for various costume combinations, in FFXIV's looks. (So much so that there are sites and blog posts that praise the variety of looks and possible costume combos in that game. All because they added that one option, players were and are able to get VERY creative with it's limited costume engine).

TLDR: An invisible option for effects (and even costume parts) would be fantastic for COH.

+1 from me for this suggestion. 🙂 

Edited by golstat2003