Worst game session, ever!

excessionoz

3 hours ago, cranebump said:

No one's heritage is an excuse for a lack of manners. Nor is being on the other end of life's timeline (I'm 58, if that makes s difference).  If anything, the more, ahem, "seasoned" among us should probably be trying to set a good example? 

I will be 63 this year.

"Manners", the social niceties of getting along together, are essential for real world interaction between us apes.  The social glue that knits society together.  The recent socio-polircal upheavals in America are testament to what wil happen if a large part of society decides to go rogue.

Private exchanges aren't public interactions.  The 'mannrs;' component of long-time friends isnt as resrrictive; whilst I'm free to tell my friends to eff off (and I do, often, colloquially 'havd ypu been told, today?" is part of the SG argot), the decision by either party to take umbrage must be weighed against the depth of the relationship.

Now here I'm 'defenmding' both my own and my friend's interactin, it was private and nothing to do with anyone else -- the reason it was included in the story is to cement some gaping holes in the audience's knowledge of the very background my friend and i share.

When it comes to public displays of 'rudeness' (mot res[pmdomg at all to requests to modify a given situation) then your argument about manners can be brought to bear -- it is unreasonable to act in a way that is detrimental to the goals of the team.  Both of my friends were guilty of that, and it irritated me to the extent that I wrote the entire wall-of-texrt so that the incident(s) didn't just get swept under the virtual carpet.

So there are different sides to this -- amd the bit I rail against is when a group of people are put into a situation where 'the interloper' causes problems that would otherwise not have existed in the group.

Anyway, it is all a storm in a teacup.  Old news and a poor situation which has now ended and but a memory. 

I think it would be fair to say that people will find both good groups and bad, not just in this game but any multiplayer game these days. If it was so terrible, why stay? If what I was experiencing in a team made me self reflect and not enjoy it to this described degree, I would have left.

But that's just me.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 4:21 AM, excessionoz said:

... Tell me your tales of woe, so I don't feel alone 🙂

I was kicked out of an active, large, organized SG because I don't have a mic.

Via discord they're on mics talking about nothing really and I thought, "What's the BFD about 'needing a mic' for this?" 

For whatever reason I can hear them but they can't hear me.

Anyway. I was new in the SG and shortly after rushing through the TF I got a /tell from a SG-Leader, "get a mic!," was booted off the SG, and put on /ignore. Seems a little extreme for hardware issues but that's just IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

My worst day of gaming:

Trying to level up a Sonic/Bubble Corruptor.  Get in the middle of the TwinShot arc where I have to fight the 2 Praetorian Clockworks.  I face plant several times.  It's Just 2 of Them!!  And I can't do it.  I realize I'm not producing enough damage.  Nor has sufficient defenses.  In my opinion, he's just Skull/Warrior/Tsoo bait waiting to happen.  

In a fit of rage - I stripped and deleted the character.  Only to regret it moments later.  I have 1000 slots, enough room for some ne'er-do-wells.  I should have shelved him.

I recreated him and started over.  This time, I got through the 2 clockworks, but not much further.  I realized this combination is not for me - we just didn't make a good team.  He's been shelved for about 3 weeks.

10 minutes ago, Rishidian said:

My worst day of gaming:

Trying to level up a Sonic/Bubble Corruptor.  Get in the middle of the TwinShot arc where I have to fight the 2 Praetorian Clockworks.  I face plant several times.  It's Just 2 of Them!!  And I can't do it.  I realize I'm not producing enough damage.  Nor has sufficient defenses.  In my opinion, he's just Skull/Warrior/Tsoo bait waiting to happen.  

In a fit of rage - I stripped and deleted the character.  Only to regret it moments later.  I have 1000 slots, enough room for some ne'er-do-wells.  I should have shelved him.

I recreated him and started over.  This time, I got through the 2 clockworks, but not much further.  I realized this combination is not for me - we just didn't make a good team.  He's been shelved for about 3 weeks.

Maybe you should just skip the Twinshot arc.  Not because of your power choices, but because IT"S A TERRIBLE ARC THAT MAKES ME SCREAM AND PULL MY HAIR OUT!!! 

Granted a Sonic/Force corruptor doesn't sound "amazing" to me.  But I do think it's too early to judge.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Sorry to hear about that experience, @Nemeroff.  I've known a few people like that . . . who seem so wholly certain that they're being "positive to the community" by intentionally forcing people out who do not have the same software or hardware as they do.  It's really unfortunate.

I do hope you've managed to find some other friends to play with who are more reasonable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nemeroff said:

Via discord they're on mics talking about nothing really and I thought, "What's the BFD about 'needing a mic' for this?" 

Anyway. I was new in the SG and shortly after rushing through the TF I got a /tell from a SG-Leader, "get a mic!," was booted off the SG, and put on /ignore. Seems a little extreme for hardware issues but that's just IMHO.

Most boring TF I've ever done (since HC, there's probably a few from live) involved discord. 

I joined the TF, started chatting, sometimes in character, sometimes just asking questions. When I noticed the question I was asking the most was, "why am I  the only person talking?" 

We get to the second to last mission and someone finally says something in the chat! They just post a URL. As it was a shrunken tiny URL I had no idea what it was and had no intention of copying it and following it! I repeatedly ask what that is and why I am still the only person talking? 

Near the end the leader finally says they have been talking via discord and I should have joined with the link. 

Multiple reasons I couldn't do that;

didn't know until WAY too late;

I don't own a mic;

I play with the speakers off so as not to disturb my sleeping baby;

Apparently me having a boring time was all my fault as I should have known. I retorted that perhaps the leader should have advertised as such and maybe mentioned it RIGHT AT THE START!

And I think that constitutes the worst gaming session ever for me. So far 🙂

(I posed the question, Do you discord during TFs? here --> 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

3 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

Most boring TF I've ever done (since HC, there's probably a few from live) involved discord. 

I joined the TF, started chatting, sometimes in character, sometimes just asking questions. When I noticed the question I was asking the most was, "why am I  the only person talking?" 

We get to the second to last mission and someone finally says something in the chat! They just post a URL. As it was a shrunken tiny URL I had no idea what it was and had no intention of copying it and following it! I repeatedly ask what that is and why I am still the only person talking? 

Near the end the leader finally says they have been talking via discord and I should have joined with the link. 

Multiple reasons I couldn't do that;

didn't know until WAY too late;

I don't own a mic;

I play with the speakers off so as not to disturb my sleeping baby;

Apparently me having a boring time was all my fault as I should have known. I retorted that perhaps the leader should have advertised as such and maybe mentioned it RIGHT AT THE START!

And I think that constitutes the worst gaming session ever for me. So far 🙂

(I posed the question, Do you discord during TFs? here --> 

I tried using discord during my last years excursion into WoW.  $150 headset on my new box....never quite worked.  

I recently joined an AG in CoH.  They require at least Discord to join....I cranked it up.  It is really (yes, really) necessary to at least listen in Discord on complicated incarnate trials.  I got my headphones out from under my desk and scraped off the dust with a napkin (not kidding)  I plug the headset into my old box (i keep a second older machine up for Wiki, etc next to my gaming rig)  I could hear!   After a little experimentation I could talk!  The danged headsets just never got along with the new box even though i downloaded drivers (prob did it wrong, but seriously.  How could even I screw that up?)  

Anyways, i started my first MMORPG gaming session with Discord.  It was, ahem, a game changer.  It was the very difficult Magisterium Trial.  We were going for the Really Hard Way Badge.  And...nailed it.  Without Discord....ooof.  I don't even want to think about it.  Now I am enjoying the SG and the new freedom of knowing what people are planning instead of guessing.  Although during a Minds of Mayhem farm yesterday there was a discussion about peaches and eggplants (very random, funny) and someone felt the need to play the full "millions of peaches" song on discord...less funny lol.  Still, this quirky group seems like people I can hang with for a while.  And danged do they have organizational skills.  We did 4 Incarnate Trials that night, hard ones, including the UG, and they were just fun, relaxed, and very competent.

and...not all headsets are $150.  Most of the cheap ones work way better than the ones collecting dust under my desk for nearly a year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

..... Stuff....

Gotta disagree with nearly everything you say there. I can do the Incarnate stuff without needing a third party piece of software or a mic (that I don't own and have no intention of buying). 

If I find myself on a team that requires VOIP of any kind I will politely leave. I don't need it, don't want it, and my play session will be better for not being on that team. 

Each to their own.

Edited by Lunchmoney
  • Like 3

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

19 hours ago, Nemeroff said:

Sounds like you were better off without them. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Sorry to hear about that experience, @Nemeroff... I do hope you've managed to find some other friends to play with who are more reasonable!

Well yeah, all the time. Be nice, get nice back.

As far as that SG I don't remember what they were called, and I was barely there. So, OK this isn't "The worst gaming session ever!" Just baffling.

My actual worst gaming session was back on Live. A long complicated, personal, double cross that took in total about 10 months in the making; you understand it'd take too long to type out here 😉. And "personal". But I left the game for about a month, didn't want to come back, but there were still some friends here and a whole City of potential new ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

I'm dealing with fscking* Verizon Wireless, so I don't have the bandwidth for Discord. If this game hadn't been designed to accommodate dialup, I wouldn't be able to play at all. So I hear ya!

(Speaking of which, everyone should be aware there are non-hearing players, who greatly enjoy participating with the same facility as J. Random Hero.)

Back on topic, my worst day was on Live, featuring my namesake, originally a Radiation/Illusion Defender. I got him up to his teens solo, then shyly decided to take the plunge and joined J. Random Hero on a pickup team.

I'm in there spamming Accelerate Metabolism, dropping debuffs on the bad guys, confusing the mezzers, and hitting the Radiant Aura whenever it comes up. Conversation ensues:

Leader: "Stop that!"

Me: "What do you mean?" (I'm doing a LOT of things, the way I see it.)

Leader: "Stop that stuff. Just Heal!"

Me: "Rad heals aren't great, my other stuff is more helpful."

Leader: "You're a  Defender, just Heal, or you're gone!"

Me: ...

Long story short, I got kicked.

Even shorter, that's why I'm an now an Illusion/Radiation Controller.

(That might or might not have been responsible for the glee with which I play my Storm/Ice Defender, using O2 Boost only as a de-mezzing power, as the Storm Gods intended. And kicking ass, thank you very much!)

* they really need to repair their filesystems

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

1 hour ago, DoctorDitko said:

I'm in there spamming Accelerate Metabolism, dropping debuffs on the bad guys, confusing the mezzers, and hitting the Radiant Aura whenever it comes up. Conversation ensues:

I can relate.  I play Brutes because I get to be a sugar enhanced two year old bounding across the environment chewing on the furniture.  What is there not to love for my teammates?!?

I just finished a MLTF.  We were doing a string starting with ITF.  We had two tanks on ITF.  (I'm Bruting my main)  We get to the end fight of the MLTF and we are taking serious damage on the pylon/tower phase.  I throw up melee hybrid, heal, look around.  Crap.  I am the heaviest teammate.  No Tanks, a couple scrappers and squishies.  I realize I should have tanked Recluse from the git go.  Nobody told me.  Sigh.  We finished.  I was embarrassed.  Ah well.  Someone has another clueless Brute story to tell....

Worse session moments happens every time RNG gets all streaky bad.   Today, fairly new character (born yesterday), miss about 1 in 5-8 shots (that's NOT a 5% miss chance). I look at combat log (all attacks at 95%): among the hits and misses of the last combat: 95.27, 95.65, 95.35... wtf?  Three of those attacks would have been hits except for the fraction. *grumble*  This particular character has had bad luck hitting ever since born.  I swear I think there's a hidden luck factor with every character, some characters never seem to have troubles while others miss a lot more than usual.  grrrr. Yeah yeah, another "RNG sucks story".  But it does suck!  😆

I'll take team issues over RNG hating me any day. 

• Haha 2

On 3/21/2021 at 10:17 PM, excessionoz said:

Without stereotyping -too- much, there is a vast difference between Australian interaction with others and  American interaction with others.

LOL okay, I'll buy that. I know enough Austrials to get it.

You know, I don't get much time to play recently, but when I've tried.....

Something has changed, or I'm just getting a run of bad luck. The last 3 sessions, I get into the absolute worst teams I've been on with ultra disrespectful people. A goddamned brute teleporting the team constantly and yelling "deal with it or die" when half the team asked him to stop. The team lead then said "I'm just a dumb hoe, I cant stop him."

Another team, another damned brute running all over trying to map aggro supertank, and won't stop even when asked, taunting and running off and spreading MOBs everywhere...

ANOTHER team, multiple controllers that just spam aoe immob, lock down groups all spaced out, ignoring the team...

A gravity something something.... Wormholing everything AWAY from the group after they gather. When asked about it, "lol" was the reply

I mean, the worst behavior I've encountered in a string since HC launched. I'm disgusted. Not by the way people play, by their absolute disrespect when the team talks to them. It's as if everyone who wants to be punched in the neck is on and playing this week.

Not the 'worst' of anything, but annoying regardless.

I set up a +4 Market Crash and pay no attention to who I recruit (that part was my bad, I usually check the vet levels of everyone and adjust difficulty). We go in. Everything is dying at a good clip. No team deaths. We reach the last boss and I warn to ignore the constantly spawning adds and focus the boss while dropping AoEs to whittle said adds.

Start fighting. No progress on the boss. People start sighing that we didn't have enough incarnates for a +4. Keep fighting. No progress. People are hitting adds instead of the boss. I'm doing a self challenge of not transfering IOs or inf so the character is squishy though I had my +1 level. Because of this my defense is porous and I'm taking too many -HP hits. I run around to lose the debuff. Team eventually dies. I die.

More sighing. I tell everyone to leave the map and buy purples while I would go to Pocket D to buy envenomed daggers. I return. I ask if people bought purples as I said while I went and returned. One person quits. Another person quits.

We argue about how the game is too easy but at the first whiff of difficulty (our first obstacle in an easy run) and people start longing for their Council runs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sovera said:

Not the 'worst' of anything, but annoying regardless.

I set up a +4 Market Crash and pay no attention to who I recruit (that part was my bad, I usually check the vet levels of everyone and adjust difficulty). We go in. Everything is dying at a good clip. No team deaths. We reach the last boss and I warn to ignore the constantly spawning adds and focus the boss while dropping AoEs to whittle said adds.

Start fighting. No progress on the boss. People start sighing that we didn't have enough incarnates for a +4. Keep fighting. No progress. People are hitting adds instead of the boss. I'm doing a self challenge of not transfering IOs or inf so the character is squishy though I had my +1 level. Because of this my defense is porous and I'm taking too many -HP hits. I run around to lose the debuff. Team eventually dies. I die.

More sighing. I tell everyone to leave the map and buy purples while I would go to Pocket D to buy envenomed daggers. I return. I ask if people bought purples as I said while I went and returned. One person quits. Another person quits.

We argue about how the game is too easy but at the first whiff of difficulty (our first obstacle in an easy run) and people start longing for their Council runs.

Doesnt the MC Boss have a special mechanic?   I forget what it is but he either does more damage the longer he is out, or has more dam res, or gets taller?  I forget.  But yeah, this is CoH at it PUGyest.  (and I PUG a LOT)  I can read it like traffic on a freeway (my job is driving)  You can see in advance who will jump lanes, etc.  It is all so tawdry and predictable.

Then there are the great drivers.  Always safe to be on the road with and even during an icy storm you can count on them not to 'accidentally' do something stupid.  Just not in their wheelhouse.  Everyone stays safe, gets the job done.  

There are a LOT more of the pros on HC then there are the Freedumb players.  But it is definitely a mixed pack.  The ability to ROFLSTOMP through almost all content does seperate the wheat from the chaff when you hit the wall.  Some folks have no idea what to do.

Was on a PUG advertised for "quick treespec 2" Joined.  We rock the first two missions.  Get to the last tree room.  Wait a minute.  These mobs are +4.  Were we at +4 all along?  Crap.  You cannot do this on +4 pre incarnate.  At least a PUG team cannot.  There were four of us.  I send a polite tell "are we at +4?"  no response.  a minute later. "I dont think we can do this.  we should reset diff, log for a min, then try"  no response.  A minute later.  the leader "lets do that"  We logged.  3 came back.  We finished easy.  I learned that trick from other players who are good and know how to succeed and have fun.  But getting a PUG team to change course?  Like unsticking a ship in the Suez canal....

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

Doesnt the MC Boss have a special mechanic?   I forget what it is but he either does more damage the longer he is out, or has more dam rr=es, or gets taller?  I forget.  But yeah, this is CoH at it PUGyest.  (and I PUG a LOT)  I can read it like traffic on a freeway (my job is driving)  You can see in advance who will jump lanes, etc.  It is all so tawdry and predictable.

The special mechanic is none of that (though they are cool ideas). What it does is apply a -HP debuff. If you monitor your HP you'll see it going from 2.5k max to 2k, 1.8k, 1.5k... Eventually 500 hitpoints. At that point it's suicide to be around the boss. The trick is to run around and break line of sight until the debuff expires and our HP recovers to max.

• Thanks 2