Microsoft in Talks to Acquire Discord

Apparition

• Game Master

Not going to lie, I'm not a fan of this development.  Even if they take a hands-off approach and allow Discord to operate the same (which isn't likely to happen), it's another of many similar deals. One class of user is emboldened and realizes all the gains.  Another told to leave and go find a different answer.  Today, both have a home there, and I'm grateful for Discord especially in these times for all they've done to keep both happy, the typical eSports enthusiast as well as the smaller independent communities.  There's nothing like it out there.  There may not be anything like it again.

My hope beyond hope is that this is a "fishing expedition".  The Discord CEO is bolstering interest to an IPO to pay their creditors back instead of taking a quick payout (whether that pans out or not, no idea).  But like Minecraft, no one is immune to a crazy large check with a single condition: "It's mine now, we got it from here."

If that is the case, then I hope a competitor rises up to keep some of that magic Discord has today and spreads it around somewhere else.

• Like 2

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

Just about everyone I know under the age of 45, and quite a few older than that. :P  The ones under 35 mostly refuse to have anything to do with forums.  Too old school.

Translation: Illiterate pansies.  :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

Translation: Illiterate pansies.  :classic_wink:

*shakes cane, other hand on walker* You tell em!

• Haha 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

12 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Don't make me break out the car battery and the testicle clamps...

:classic_wink:

Now now, we gotta be inclusive. It's Gator Clamps and Nips. 😉

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I have an account but it's been months since I logged in.  The Discord interface is one of the ugliest and most ungainly things I have seen in a good long while, and at any rate I do not have a microphone set up, so I can't participate fully anyways.  My strong opinion is that if immersion-breaking live VOIP chat of any kind is needed to play an online game, that game is already broken.

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I have an account but it's been months since I logged in.  The Discord interface is one of the ugliest and most ungainly things I have seen in a good long while, and at any rate I do not have a microphone set up, so I can't participate fully anyways.  My strong opinion is that if immersion-breaking live VOIP chat of any kind is needed to play an online game, that game is already broken.

Then just use it like most people use it.  As a chat app.

This way you don't need to be in-game 24x7.  You can just hang in chat and participate as you feel like it.

I believe I read somewhere that Discord's other option was possibly going public. I'd rather see them do that then get churned up in the undertow by MS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 3/24/2021 at 2:14 PM, Apparition said:

Just about everyone I know under the age of 45, and quite a few older than that. 😛 The ones under 35 mostly refuse to have anything to do with forums.  Too old school.

Old school? 

Fussy little prima donnas.  I'll show them "old school".  Old school is a posting on a BBS using a dial-up modem and 2 to 5 minute page loading, assuming no pictures.  And that's with a connection.  Pray I don't dig out the Commodore-64 with its tape drive, or waft a few IBM punch cards under their noses. 

And we liked it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2021 at 10:59 PM, honoroit said:

Really, no. I understand it was the fashion to hate on msft in the 2000s, but as a gaming platform win 10 is good. 

Xbox seems to know its ass from elbow this console gen, and Xbox game pass is very good value all round - there's not a lot of dispute there either. 

Aside, msft research pumps a lot of money into medical tech, look at recent complex surgery done via AR. Likewise they conduct actual anthropology research.

In workplace productivity, they have great apps. The information workers life would be worse without them

Shit, visual studio is a nice ide, and VS code is free. 

Bloody hell, even net core runs cross platform. 

I don't get the hate. 

So yes, serious question, not joking. 

anime-computer-wallpaper-thumb.jpg.98bacbde47438834ec4dc15af47fa54f.jpg

My problem isn't with the software (save in a few cases I can't actually talk about).

My problem is the corporate ethos.  Top down.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Techwright said:

Old school? 

Fussy little prima donnas.  I'll show them "old school".  Old school is a posting on a BBS using a dial-up modem and 2 to 5 minute page loading, assuming no pictures.  And that's with a connection.  Pray I don't dig out the Commodore-64 with its tape drive, or waft a few IBM punch cards under their noses. 

And we liked it! 

My first computer was a Commodore, and I helped run four local BBSs in the 1990s, so I hear you. :D

FWIW, BBSs are still alive and well.  There's a new three part documentary on BBS usage in the 2020s, if you're interested.

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later

Discord will, in fact, not be acquired by Microsoft nor anyone else.  They've decided to go it alone and are exploring a public IPO.  Per Game Informer:

Discord has reportedly ended any and all talks of being acquired by outside parties, including Microsoft. In March it was reported that Microsoft was one of several potential suitors hoping to buy the popular social app for the fine tune of $10 billion.

The Wall Street Journal reports that sources close to matter have claimed that Discord has decided to remain independent. According to sources, Discord’s reasoning appears to be a simple one: The company is performing well on its own. Its current value sits at around $7 billion with over 300 million registered users as of 2020.

*Breathes sigh of relief.*

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
10 hours ago, Apparition said:

Well, now it's become clear why the acquisition talks between Microsoft and Discord fizzled.  Sony now has a minority investment in (read: partially owns), Discord and will bring Discord to the PlayStation 5 sometime next year.

#Stonks?

• 2 weeks later