Beast/Storm Build for Critique

KelvinKole

I've played this game a long time but I've never built a Mastermind. I'm loving this combination, but don't have a lot of confidence in building it out yet. Be brutal.

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Beast Mastery
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Summon Wolves -- SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef(5), ShlBrk-%Dam(5), TchofLadG-%Dam(7)
Level 1: Gale -- Empty(A)
Level 2: O2 Boost -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(7), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(21), Prv-Absorb%(23)
Level 4: Snow Storm -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 6: Train Beasts -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Call Ravens -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(46), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(46), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), PstBls-Dam%(48), AchHee-ResDeb%(48)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(34), Ags-Psi/Status(37), Ags-ResDam(40), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(42), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 12: Summon Lions -- SprMarofS-Dmg(A), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg(13), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen(15), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets)(15), EdcoftheM-PetDef(17)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(34)
Level 16: Freezing Rain -- ShlBrk-DefDeb(A), ShlBrk-Acc/Rchg(17), ShlBrk-DefDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 18: Fortify Pack -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(19), Rct-ResDam%(21), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(45), Rct-Def/Rchg(45)
Level 20: Super Jump -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Acrobatics -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(23)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(25), GifoftheA-EndRdx/Rchg(25), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33), GifoftheA-Run+(34)
Level 26: Summon Dire Wolf -- SprMarofS-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprMarofS-Acc/EndRdx(27), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg(27), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), SvrRgh-Dmg/EndRdx(29), ImpSwf-Dam%(31)
Level 28: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(33)
Level 30: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(31)
Level 32: Tame Beasts -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Tornado -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(36), Empty(36), Empty(37), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(37)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- Dvs-Acc/Dmg(A), Dvs-Dmg/Rchg(39), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Empty(40), Empty(40)
Level 41: Charged Armor -- ImpSki-Status(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(42), Ags-ResDam(43), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(43), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 44: Electrifying Fences -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(50), PstBls-Dam%(50)
Level 47: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Supremacy 
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(11), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(11)
------------

Ok first you WANT Hurricane, on Storm the ability to control the chaos is to BE the chaos. Knocking fools off their feet and debuffing them is golden. Secondly, I don't know where your going on set bonuses I see some rech but you need MOAR and hit points get those numbers up! I can drop 3 Lighting storms and 2 sets of tornadoes before they wear off from duration, plus me running around with hurricane on and my zombies getting fat off the baddies who can't hit them, are flying around, and getting zapped by lightning bolts.

You got pets that chew on baddies who are running around debuffing, and are chaotic, but, there is NEVER enough you want MOAR chaos, obey the Chaos Queen, kneel at her feet and worship her for she is terrible and beautiful.

Get rid of acrobatics and SJ, lets get that end down, use CJ as your def unique mule, I'd use SS with a KB redux IO, SS w/Hurricane means you're an agent of chaos who can be anywhere in a battle in a sec. Especially stupid outdoor maps with Council wolves running all willy nilly, outrun them, debuff them, and let a real wolf chew on 'em.

Drop the Sovereigns in Dire and go Soulbound (HIT POINTS), take all the pet protection IO's, spread them out on you fur babies.

You want Fortify Pack as close to perma as possible, I'd concentrate on rech, hit points and get that end down, your going to need it low to drop all the weather that you can muster on your enemies heads. I'd drop Call Ravens too, your going to be concentrating on dropping the weather channel on some fools that you don't need no birds.

If I had more time I'd change your build to show ya. This is just my two cents, take it as you will.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I’ve got a lot of Stormies, 4 as MM’s, and while I can agree that Hurricane is a great CC and debuff tool for leveling up and/or solo, by your 40’s it’s not all that useful especially on teams.  Thus I almost always respec out of it entirely by the time I get my AOE Immobilize from the Epic/Patron pools.

Your opener is almost always going to be FR+LS.  With high recharge you’ll easily have those up twice a spawn.  Gale should be at least two slotted with the FF +Rech and the SA KB2KD proc.  If you aren’t running Tactics perhaps three slotted to throw an ACC in there. FR is at least three slotted, I usually have two Annhilations (ACC/Dam and the -Res proc) and the Lady Gray proc in there.  Tornado and LS both get six slots, both getting the FF+Rech proc and Tornado gets another SA KB2KD proc.  By spamming Gale and getting out 2/3 Tornado and LS out with a native Recharge of around 130%, you’ll easily be running 210-250% Recharge most missions.  Tornado needs the KB2KD proc to gnaw away at the target rather than tossing it around or out of the FR patch or away from the LS damage.  You don’t need the KB2KD proc in LS as it’s a very low mag KB and really only impacts critters +2 or less to you.  I generally fill the other five slots in LS with Apocalypse at 50 and ThunderStrike or one of the WinterO sets prior to 50.  Tornado I generally proc out completely as it’s base damage is less impressive.

With your AOE immobilize nothing is leaving your FR+LS killing field and your pets just go to town.  Tornadoes just chase runners and or help out.  Really no need for Hurricane because stuff isn’t getting thrown around....just flopping and melting.

Finally, I suggest you go for S/L Defense soft cap if you can other than Ranged.  It helps to get the LS’s right up over the battle.  

• Like 1

I'm with you kn hurricane. I want to like it a lot more than I actually do and have left it out of other storm builds without feeling like I'm missing it. It's not worth the power selection and the slot requirements for me. 

Is perma Fortify pack necessary in the later game? With the aura ios, steamy mist, and maneuvees, the pack is running around at ~40% defense when the lioness buffa are up. They have solid resists behind that too. I feel like I'd rather run around with the damage buff as often as possible and only use Fortify Pack if things get hairy. 

I tried to build for as much personal resistance as possible. Getting close to the S/L cap, energy cap, some fire and cold resist. Are masterminds better off with defense? I don't know how well it works without any DDR.

Thanks for the overall slotting advice so far. I'm changing a few things around. 

17 hours ago, KelvinKole said:

I'm with you kn hurricane. I want to like it a lot more than I actually do and have left it out of other storm builds without feeling like I'm missing it. It's not worth the power selection and the slot requirements for me. 

Is perma Fortify pack necessary in the later game? With the aura ios, steamy mist, and maneuvees, the pack is running around at ~40% defense when the lioness buffa are up. They have solid resists behind that too. I feel like I'd rather run around with the damage buff as often as possible and only use Fortify Pack if things get hairy. 

I tried to build for as much personal resistance as possible. Getting close to the S/L cap, energy cap, some fire and cold resist. Are masterminds better off with defense? I don't know how well it works without any DDR.

Thanks for the overall slotting advice so far. I'm changing a few things around. 

Can’t speak to your Beast slotting, not my area of speciality.

On my MM’s, I usually try to build for softcapped DEF for S/L or Ranged (never been able to do both personally).  But that’s because I tend to Tankermind, taking the alpha while in BG mode.  In BG mode, you already will have high resists because of how the damage is spread across you and the henchmen.  But once the alpha is out of the way, I switch stance to Aggressive mode or even Attack my Target if down to just a boss or two.  Thus, the Softcapped DEF is important for my play style.  If you don’t Tankermind (with or without Provoke, I’ve done it both ways) then perhaps it’s slightly less important.  But still, you can already achieve very high Resists (or simulate same) via BG mode.  You can’t simulate Defense with any of your stances, but between high DEF and high Resists...even without DDR....you have layered mitigation for incoming damage, mezz, etc.  

Keep in mind with /Storm you have additional mitigation with all the KD you can be delivering, and with high +Recharge a LOT of that is possible.

In general, with any MM build that uses Storm, my set bonus and slotting goals are S/L softcapped DEF (even if just high enough you need a single small purple to softcap), then +Recharge (lots of FF +Rech procs make this easy) and THEN damage from henchmen.  /Storm offsets any damage slotting you can’t achieve on the henchmen anyways.  

On 3/29/2021 at 4:24 PM, Crysis said:

I’ve got a lot of Stormies, 4 as MM’s, and while I can agree that Hurricane is a great CC and debuff tool for leveling up and/or solo, by your 40’s it’s not all that useful especially on teams.  Thus I almost always respec out of it entirely by the time I get my AOE Immobilize from the Epic/Patron pools.

Your opener is almost always going to be FR+LS.  With high recharge you’ll easily have those up twice a spawn.  Gale should be at least two slotted with the FF +Rech and the SA KB2KD proc.  If you aren’t running Tactics perhaps three slotted to throw an ACC in there. FR is at least three slotted, I usually have two Annhilations (ACC/Dam and the -Res proc) and the Lady Gray proc in there.  Tornado and LS both get six slots, both getting the FF+Rech proc and Tornado gets another SA KB2KD proc.  By spamming Gale and getting out 2/3 Tornado and LS out with a native Recharge of around 130%, you’ll easily be running 210-250% Recharge most missions.  Tornado needs the KB2KD proc to gnaw away at the target rather than tossing it around or out of the FR patch or away from the LS damage.  You don’t need the KB2KD proc in LS as it’s a very low mag KB and really only impacts critters +2 or less to you.  I generally fill the other five slots in LS with Apocalypse at 50 and ThunderStrike or one of the WinterO sets prior to 50.  Tornado I generally proc out completely as it’s base damage is less impressive.

With your AOE immobilize nothing is leaving your FR+LS killing field and your pets just go to town.  Tornadoes just chase runners and or help out.  Really no need for Hurricane because stuff isn’t getting thrown around....just flopping and melting.

Finally, I suggest you go for S/L Defense soft cap if you can other than Ranged.  It helps to get the LS’s right up over the battle.  

I was going to make a lot of the same points, but you saved me the time. I agree with 2 or 3 slotting gale for the FF proc. It's also pretty good mitigation with the sudden impact kb to kd. And with sloting the SI kb to kd in tornado, that makes a huge difference I find.

You can slot another FF +rech in lightning storm, which will pretty much always trigger, but if you are spamming gale it will only refresh the +rech, it won't add more recharge on top, so could be a waste, depending on your play style.

I don't really have much to add on the beast side of things, mine is bots/storm.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"