Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Also, with regard to joining, if you want to shoot me a tell or whatnot when I'm online, I'm happy to invite anyone that's interested.  My global is @Razorshrike (and, of course, I'll be logged on with Pennance).  Base is still a work in progress, but coming along nicely.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly different angle:

 

What about creating multiple "Teams" of different levels of heroes?

 

You could have the 35s/38s as your group's "Top Tier" Heroes. But then also have some 22s/25s as a lower-end band of heroes who focus on Protecting the City rather than Global Scale threats. Your Batman or The Question type characters who occasionally get pulled into the World-Event RP type stuff.

 

Could take it a step forward and also have a Teens Team where everyone is under level 20 and focused on street-crime.

 

That way your World-Class team can sometimes drop down to deal with Gangland Threats and pull their punches while still looking like absolute badasses, to help reinforce the illusion of being particularly powerful (But not Cosmic Level) heroes.

 

... also the AE Exists, so you could make level 20ish content that the 30s and the Teens both join up on so it feels like everyone is stepping up to handle a particularly dangerous, but not massive scale, threat as a single group.

 

You could even use the in-game SG Ranks to set up multiple in-character teams like that, and actively graduate characters to higher level content... or depower characters (Reroll) and have them drop to the lower level teams. A Single SG Coalition, basically, like the JLA. A bunch of heroes banding together to combine resources and information, but still largely working on things of their particular scale and interest.

Edited by Steampunkette
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting idea... but not really something I would jump into.

 

('Just not a fan of the low-level game, I'm afraid. Whiffing constantly with my three mostly unslotted powers while living the zero-END life to boot just isn't my cup of tea. 😅 )

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Interesting idea... but not really something I would jump into.

 

('Just not a fan of the low-level game, I'm afraid. Whiffing constantly with my three mostly unslotted powers while living the zero-END life to boot just isn't my cup of tea. 😅 )

 

Well, besides that, just starting up a group for the first time and building the base for it is as much as I feel like taking on right now.  Thanks for the suggestion though, @Steampunkette !

 

Speaking of the base, in addition to the ground terrain, I have the Command Center and Danger Room/Holodeck finished.  A few pics to look at:

 

-Command Center (Overlook from lift entrance)-

CC1.thumb.PNG.846662dbddd3501a9cc293d0b4a8d713.PNG

-Command Center (Looking Left from same position)-

CCL.thumb.PNG.890e3e4dbb9d632ad2a3c98934fd712f.PNG

 

 

 

Edited by Grindingsucks
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2021 at 3:06 PM, Grindingsucks said:

3) Enhancements are limited to SO's

 

Can we include level 30 common/generic IOs, instead?  They're functionally equivalent to +1 SOs.  I have a SG base full of these that I use for alts, which I'd prefer using instead of buying SOs.

 

(edit)  Am I too late to join the fun?  I'll either repurpose or level a 38 for this.

 

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rathulfr said:

 

Can we include level 30 common/generic IOs, instead?  They're functionally equivalent to +1 SOs.  I have an SG base full of these that I use for alts, which I'd prefer using instead of buying SOs.

 

At the present, I would like to stick with the parameters we have established, although I'm willing to bump them up or down based on feedback, after we have ran enough group content to get a feel for whether or not we're satisfied with the team play experience.

 

SO's are relatively cheap (47k max, for an accuracy- more often closer to 35k for most other enhancement types).  If you need it, I'm happy to give you a couple of million influence to cover your expenses, after you join.

 

P.S.  In reply to your Edit, you are certainly welcome to join the group.  Honestly we're still just getting off the ground.

Edited by Grindingsucks
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grindingsucks said:

At the present, I would like to stick with the parameters we have established, although I'm willing to bump them up or down based on feedback, after we have ran enough group content to get a feel for whether or not we're satisfied with the team play experience.

 

SO's are relatively cheap (47k max, for an accuracy- more often closer to 35k for most other enhancement types).  If you need it, I'm happy to give you a couple of million influence to cover your expenses, after you join.

 

I already have a level 34 Sentinel (Ice Blast/Super Reflexes) that's already equipped with level 30 common IOs.  Do I need to respec to replace those with SOs?

 

image.png.7d6255ccad54f26480d60efd33458e29.png

 

These are the only powers that have IO set procs in them (which I usually do with all of my alts, more or less).  All of the other powers have level 30 common IOs (as pictured).

 

image.png.5fe4298be31041cf4688e4d78c8c04aa.png

 

I have plenty of Inf to buy SOs: I just don't like doing it because it's waste of money.  But if you really want me to remove the common IOs, I'll respec.

 

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the characters will be level-locked at 38, the last set of SOs you get for them will be the last ones they ever have to have. They'll never out-level them, so it's not "wasted" INF to buy them like it would be on a character going to 50.

 

 

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Since the characters will be level-locked at 38, the last set of SOs you get for them will be the last ones they ever have to have. They'll never out-level them, so it's not "wasted" INF to buy them like it would be on a character going to 50.

 

 

 

Agreed.  However, as I indicated, I already have bins full of level 30 common IOs that I've already crafted, so buying more SOs is just spending more money.  But I'm willing to comply with the will of SG: I'm looking forward to the fun.

 

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can spot you the Inf for a full set of Level 41 SOs, if you'd like, @Rathulfr.  Thus no concerns of wasting your own resources to obtain them!

 

Let's see . . . how many Slots total by that level?

So, new Powers on each even Level up to 32, then 35 and 38, plus the Inherents and Fitness, and the Prestige Sprints, and the possibility of being a Triform Kheldian, then the two extra Slots on the odd numbered Levels up to 29, then three Slots for 31, 33, 34, 36, and 37 . . . 

 

83?  Is that right?

 

So, 83 of them, at between 48,000 and 54,000 each . . . 

 

Less than 5 million Inf?

 

No problem!  Bump it up to 10, just in case of mistakes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 5:35 PM, TemporalVileTerror said:

I can spot you the Inf for a full set of Level 41 SOs, if you'd like, @Rathulfr.  Thus no concerns of wasting your own resources to obtain them!

 

Let's see . . . how many Slots total by that level?

So, new Powers on each even Level up to 32, then 35 and 38, plus the Inherents and Fitness, and the Prestige Sprints, and the possibility of being a Triform Kheldian, then the two extra Slots on the odd numbered Levels up to 29, then three Slots for 31, 33, 34, 36, and 37 . . . 

 

83?  Is that right?

 

So, 83 of them, at between 48,000 and 54,000 each . . . 

 

Less than 5 million Inf?

 

No problem!  Bump it up to 10, just in case of mistakes.

 

I don't need money: I have plenty.  It's the principle of the thing.  I just made a second build with SOs.  It cost over 2M (approx) to equip the slots with level 35 SOs, and then another 2M (approx) to upgrade them to level 38.  I'll get another round of upgrades at level 37, which will probably be another 2M.  So over 6M total by the time I hit 38.  That's chump change: but it's more than I spent to craft the level 30 IOs.

 

Three level 38 SO damage enhancements (+38.3% each) in one power maxes out at +97.2% (with ED).  Meanwhile, three level 30 common IO damage enhancements (+34.8% each) in one power maxes out at +95.7% (with ED).  So staying with level 30 common IOs would cost me nothing but a 1.5% loss in power, while buying SOs gains me 1.5% but costs me 4-6M Inf that I didn't need to spend.

 

A level 30 common IO is functionally equivalent to a maxed out SO.  There's functionally no difference between between a common IO and an SO: each only boosts one attribute.  I can see a reason to resist level 40+ common IOs (because they are definitely superior to SOs), but I don't see a problem with level 30 or under, because they're basically offering the same benefit.

 

But I'm not trying to be contrary: I'm just pointing out that there's no logical reason to prefer SOs over level 30 common IOs, aside from a few percentage points of enhancement.  The common IOs actually offer less benefit than +3 SOs, so that's keeping with the spirit of the restriction to prevent being OP at level 38.

 

(Edit:)  This table from the HC wiki shows the relative values of SOs versus IOs.  If the goal is to maintain level 38 characters with full-strength +3 SOs, then level 30 and level 35 common IOs should be allowed.  While stronger than a +0 SO, the level 30/35 common IOs are weaker than a +3 SO.

 

33.33 +0 SO
33.6 Level 21 Dual Set IO
34.7 Level 18 Triple Set IO
34.80 Level 30 IO
35.00 +1 SO
36.66 +2 SO
36.70 Level 35 IO
38.33 +3 SO

(yet another edit:)  On a lark, I just bought a full set of level 35 common IOs from WW for a different level 35 character, and spent around 3M.  I never spent more than the crafting price.  This is less than it cost me to buy a complete set of level 35 SOs and then upgrade them to 38.  So I definitely recommend going with common IOs (level 30 or 35) if you don't want to spend money on SOs.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI:  Just thought I'd mention that everyone that has been invited into the Supergroup has permission to invite others into the group (Yes, I have the SG settings adjusted so you can do this).  So if you know anyone that you feel would be a good fit for us, then feel free to invite them.  I don't need to vet them, or anything.  I trust current members to understand what the group is about and evaluate others for similar play preferences.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, @Rathulfr , thanks for posting the screenshot of the table to your post to illustrate your point.  I understand what you were getting at now.  Apologies if I was being a hard-ass about it.  I was just jittery about moving the bar every time a new player requested to bend the build rules.

 

Really though, as TemporalVileTerror rightly points out, the system is invisible and, anyway,  it's not like I'm going to personally inspect everyone's character before inviting them, even if it wasn't.  Who's got time for that? 😛

 

When I stop to think about it, it makes more sense just to trust members to play by the rules until they demonstrate that they're unwilling to do so.  After all, why would anyone join the group in the first place, if they aren't interested in our particular schtick?  🤷‍♂️  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grindingsucks said:

Also, @Rathulfr , thanks for posting the screenshot of the table to your post to illustrate your point.  I understand what you were getting at now.  Apologies if I was being a hard-ass about it.  I was just jittery about moving the bar every time a new player requested to bend the build rules.

 

Really though, as TemporalVileTerror rightly points out, the system is invisible and, anyway,  it's not like I'm going to personally inspect everyone's character before inviting them, even if it wasn't.  Who's got time for that? 😛

 

When I stop to think about it, it makes more sense just to trust members to play by the rules until they demonstrate that they're unwilling to do so.  After all, why would anyone join the group in the first place, if they aren't interested in our particular schtick?  🤷‍♂️  

 

No worries.  This just turned into one of those things gnawing at the back of my mind that I had to chase down to satisfy my own personal curiosity.  Logical inconsistencies irk me to no end, so I tend to get overly focused on resolving them.  Otherwise, I can't sleep (honestly).  I guess it's part of my own personal brand of Crazy™.  Sorry about that.

 

(edit) BTW: Wrathfrost hit 38 last night and is locked in at that level, with XP earning now disabled.  I'm looking forward to our future adventures as an SG!

 

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2021 at 7:27 PM, Grindingsucks said:

Someone logged in as Ultramarine shot me a tell with a SG invite request last night.  I was base building and didn't notice until they had already logged off.  If you happen to be reading this, Ultramarine, my apologies.  I'm happy to send you an invite if you're still interested.

Haha. that was me. no worries. kinda on the fence with Ultramarine (arachnos soldier). I do have an elec/elec brute that I'm playing now for the sole purpose of a teen team/side kick. He'll only go as high as level 20. he's just a kid, so not strong at all... which I love. While still trying to decide which one I'll level up for the .38 Specials, I figured I'd go ahead with the Issue 0 toons I had planned and leave them in the time eddy to be part of the .38's. 😃

BTW, renamed my Issue 0 Blastro to Black Atom. new costume, slightly different character write up (for RP). hoping to pump some fresh steam into his play time. 😃 I

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool.  Felt bad that I missed you.  I also renamed a character recently- twice!  I had an old toon I wanted to redo for the .38's.  I decided for a more humorous, over-the-top concept, but the name I chose was  a little iffy with regard to the code of conduct rules for homecoming, so I changed him again.  But I've finally got one of my alts in the group, now (if you see Thug Thrasher on, that's me 😉).

 

I'm gonna comb through the AE for some interesting story missions.  I'd like to find one (or a series) to run for us IC'ly as a group.  With that in mind, I was curious about what days/times/zones you guys would most likely be available for something like that.  I'd like to try to set it up to get at least two or three of us online at the same time for some group play.

 

Also... is anyone here familiar with setting up a discord?  I was thinking of doing one for our team- maybe get a little more exposure.  I've only ever used discord as player, though.  Anyway, just curious.  Still don't have a lot of peeps looking to join, so I'm thinking of ways to make us more visible, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...