The .38 Specials

Grindingsucks

The more I read this, the more interested I get.  Tempted!

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

11 hours ago, Darmian said:

The more I read this, the more interested I get.  Tempted!

Doooooooooo it........:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

16 hours ago, Grindingsucks said:

Great!  Will do!

Awesome! 

I've never learned how to use the AE mission creator (still something to scratch off my CoX master checklist. 😁).  I will admit, I actually HAVE played part 1 of your Leviathan series (saw one of your posts about it in the dedicated topic), and I was dully impressed!  Sadly, I got distracted (my cats were creating a catpocalypse in the adjoining room.  I'll spare you the ghastly details😛) and let the villain escape at the end.  🤷‍♂️

Anyway, no pressure- but suffice it to say that I'll happily take you up on that offer.  👍

Peachy.:-) I've been scripting arcs under the assumption they're being run solo, so going at it from a team perspective will be great fun. On that, what specific elements would you like to see? Is there a specific tone you're looking for? Do you have any special nemeses in mind for the Specials? Is there a particular type of baddie you'd like to see? Any zones you want the adventures to focus on (I write a lot of stuff with King's Row in mind; I'm assuming the Specials aren't tied to a certain zone, but if they were, I could focus on that). 

I'll work on getting some additional slots, then mull over some ideas. When I get something finished, I'll label it with the "Comic/Issue #" upon publish.:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Hey @Grindingsucks, sent you a message asking for invite for Acrobattle (a reboot of my main from Excelsior; currently a L10 Staff/SR scrapper).

Just now, Grindingsucks said:

@cranebump The missus and I had a late night, so I'm just crawling out of bed and pouring some coffee down the hatch to wake up the ol' brain-box, but I'll be logged on shortly.  👍 

Thanks much, kemosabe

7 hours ago, cranebump said:

Peachy.:-) I've been scripting arcs under the assumption they're being run solo, so going at it from a team perspective will be great fun. On that, what specific elements would you like to see? Is there a specific tone you're looking for? Do you have any special nemeses in mind for the Specials? Is there a particular type of baddie you'd like to see? Any zones you want the adventures to focus on (I write a lot of stuff with King's Row in mind; I'm assuming the Specials aren't tied to a certain zone, but if they were, I could focus on that). 

I'll work on getting some additional slots, then mull over some ideas. When I get something finished, I'll label it with the "Comic/Issue #" upon publish.:-)

Heh.  Missed this post, initially.  Go figure.  😛🤷‍♂️

We're based out of Boomtown and there's a big Council Base there, that manufactures War Walkers, so I reckon those guys will be our #1 recurring "canon" villain group.  I think it would be cool to make custom council troops of various kinds that go with the theme- as well as notable elite bosses and such, with custom power sets. 

Apart from that, I'd love to see what kind of villains and/or organizations you come up with on your own.  I don't want to put any restrictions on your creativity, except to remember that we are a middle- to upper-middle- lvl group and that as vigilantes/rogues, we are "basically" good guys that work outside of the bounds of the law.  Probably most members are not registered with the FBSA- or have at least gone underground/off the FBSA's radar.  This means we will be willing to take on missions that the more "good-two-shoes", mainstream heroes would balk at.

Edited by Grindingsucks

Also, the base update, as promised.  Finally finished the Portal Network, as well as the Hall of Heroes, Reactor Room, and Arcane Science lab.  I've started (barely) working on the Mess Hall.  Hoping to have a fully completed and outfitted base, within a week or two!

38base.thumb.PNG.49b49d2c7a033073690394426e8f4a3f.PNG

Toured the base briefly earlier. Flavor! Cool conceptually and interesting to navigate. I have no idea you could put together something like that. Certainly fits with the basic SG idea and theme. 

Acrobattle (version 2) joined up, then ran with a team that was running Frostfire via Ouro. Team of 3, set on +2 (or maybe it was +3). Was like running a farm. Got to 18 by the time it ended. Hoping to hit the magic 30s before too long.

Thanks for the feedback on baddies and mishes. My current Leviathan arc features come 5th Col, and some customs. I might use that as inspiration for a custom nemesis for the Specials. I LOVE the idea that they're "off the grid," ethically gray. Wide range of things we can explore there. It'll be a bit before I have something concrete, but will be doing some initial scripting this week.

On that: I'll work on developing within the 30s range (with cap at the SG max). Gonna do some lore review to tie the Specials in to the game world in a significant (and logical) way.

Thanks again. This is all cool stuff.

Obligatory toon pic:

image.png.5a4e2a2f3f28978b6c295948e8b2f289.png

Chillin' at the base after a long FF run...

(And correction: This version of Acro is a Brute--no wonder he seems to do more damage):-)

Edited by cranebump

Okay, Team- a couple of updates.  Firstly, we have a Discord!  I'm not entirely sure I have permissions set correctly (I've never set up a Discord before) and you may think of some channels you would like added that didn't occur to me when setting things up.  If so, feel free to suggest them in the feedback and suggestions channel.  Anyways, here's the link:

https://discord.gg/Q6vcHX9A

Also, I'm getting "Pretty" close to finishing up the base.  Today, I got the living quarters blocked out with 24 different rooms.  If you would like to have onsite living quarters, let me know and I can assign a room to your character.  The only thing I ask is that we limit it to one room per player, so specify which character you want to be assigned when making the request.  These will necessarily be on a first come, first serve basis.  I can decorate them at your request or even temporarily change base permissions to do it yourself, if you prefer.

Some of you may prefer to have your own, off-site base.  That's perfectly fine too.  All of my characters will have their own bases (mostly b/c I'm addicted to base building. lol).  If any of you are friends online, you could bunk up as roomies too, if you prefer.  Just let me know.  👍

P.S.  As I said, I'm a total noob at making a Discord, so if any more experienced members see anything that needs changed/fixed/tweaked, please don't hesitate to let me know.  Thanks! 🙂

@everyone Just a reminder that we have a discord now.  Also, @Six-Six has made a team channel in-game that you should join the next time you're on. 

Would like to try to get everyone together sometime later this week to do an IC staff meeting + short mission to get our feet wet.  Feel free to post what days/times work best for you.  Thanks! :classic_biggrin:  

Edited by Grindingsucks

Scripting update: wrapped up what I was previously working on, so I can now move on to The Specials, in earnest. I've got some basic notes. Will mull/flesh out basic idea some more (probably bounce it off @Darmian again, whose lore knowledge is invaluable). Plan to start basic scripting this Saturday. May have some more questions about SG premise and such, to ensure I get the feel right. Anyhoo, looking forward to the challenge!

Edited by cranebump
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and, uh, Room #23, if possible. Thanks:-)

Mini-update: Went over the Lore. GOOD STUFF! Got some nuggets I can definitely use as a springboard. Speaking of that:

-I crafted a nemesis into Acrobattle's backstory, a mafia boss named "Lex Fisk" (heh...). Got me to thinking: I can take a look at everyone's dossiers and figure out how to weave some of that into various stories here and there (mainly leaving my own stuff out--cuz that would be vanity).:-) 

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to actually commit to scripting additional issues of everyone's "Solo Comic," but, hey -- you never know.  [Hmmmm, I can see it now: Just a Number, featuring the stupendous Six-Six!] 🙂

Speaking of: In keeping with comics, what is the "book" title? Is it The .38 Specials, .38 Specials, Amazing Stories, Tales of Suspense, The Savage Sword of Conan, or what?:-)

(I'm assuming the first title, but thought I'd ask).

2 hours ago, cranebump said:

Mini-update: Went over the Lore. GOOD STUFF! Got some nuggets I can definitely use as a springboard. Speaking of that:

-I crafted a nemesis into Acrobattle's backstory, a mafia boss named "Lex Fisk" (heh...). Got me to thinking: I can take a look at everyone's dossiers and figure out how to weave some of that into various stories here and there (mainly leaving my own stuff out--cuz that would be vanity).:-) 

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to actually commit to scripting additional issues of everyone's "Solo Comic," but, hey -- you never know.  [Hmmmm, I can see it now: Just a Number, featuring the stupendous Six-Six!] 🙂

Speaking of: In keeping with comics, what is the "book" title? Is it The .38 Specials, .38 Specials, Amazing Stories, Tales of Suspense, The Savage Sword of Conan, or what?:-)

(I'm assuming the first title, but thought I'd ask).

Choose the name that you think most fitting; I trust  you to make the right choice.  The samples of your writing that I've perused have been top-notch!  Likewise, just use your own instincts when writing up missions.  I think creativity is best left to fly free, without putting too many restrictions on the author's ideas and imagination.

Honestly, I'm just happy to have someone on the team that knows how to do this and enjoys doing it.  My schtick is more roleplaying and base-building.  Mission crafting is the one part of the game that I've been too intimidated to try to figure out on my own.  😁

On 4/26/2021 at 9:18 PM, tavmminqat said:

I have the perfect character for this but they just hit 39. I know it's one level above, is there anyway I could still join up?

Maybe PM @Grindingsucks?

On 4/26/2021 at 8:18 PM, tavmminqat said:

I have the perfect character for this but they just hit 39. I know it's one level above, is there anyway I could still join up?

Hello, @tavmminqat and thanks for your interest.  However, I can't invite your lvl 39 character because: 

1) It violates the bounded play rules in our founding principles

2) It wouldn't be fair to the other SG members, who have all complied with the lvl 38 build paradigm.

3) If I did allow it, it would open the door for others to break the rule (what about a lvl 40, then?  It's just one lvl higher than 39- and so on).  Eventually, this would derail the particular play environment that we're trying to foster here.

I'm happy to invite any other character that does comply with our build rules.  If you would like to join with a character of lower level, we have members (including myself) that can help you with levelling to 38 and even outfitting your character with enhancements. 

If you want quick access to our founding principles and build rules, here's the link to our discord:  https://discord.gg/CWR2tbWe

Feel free to PM me here or on discord, or even in-game, if you have any questions.

Edited by Grindingsucks