Energy Melee

Sapharan

You can play EM exactly as you did before and you will just get better performance out of it.

- TF animates much faster

- EP and BS animate slightly faster

- ET is all energy damage

- Whirling Hands does more damage

Just ignore the new mechanics. Pretend the circle isn't there.

The only thing you will miss out from old EM is the mag4 stun on TF. That mag4 stun can be replicated with TF + Barrage, which is barely longer than old TF alone.

It's all pros and no con.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Sapharan said:

Tanks are irrelevant as it is

I don't have much experience with EM so I'm not really qualified to comment on most of your post, although the changes look like solid buffs across the board to me. But this particular statement just isn't true imo. With the buffs tanks have received they've never been in a better place. They do great damage now, are every bit as tough as always and are unparalleled at generating and holding aggro.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sapharan said:

Side note, there was a time when Invulnerability had, prior to gdn and ed, 90% resistance to all damage types but toxic (44%) and psionic (0%).  That was when the game was brightest for me.

Well there's always the Rebirth server.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wish there was a feature for tankers to get a bonus against foes they have taunted, similar to Controllers with Containment.  I feel like when I'm a second tanker on a team and feeling kind of irrelevant because my damage is subpar and either controllers/dominators being able to lock down enemies with holds and stuns, I should just quit playing tankers and move on to brutes and scrappers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sapharan said:

Tanks are irrelevant, imo, because team sizes are too large, CC classes are too efficient, brutes exist (should be reduced in durability), and the limit on aggro is too restrictive (the number of creatures tanks can taunt and maintain aggroed on them).  Most creatures are either dead after my first taunt, or well on their way in a full team of 8 characters fully tricked out with the latest and greatest sets, incarnates, and buffs the game has to offer. 

I flatly dislike the changes to Energy Melee, despite the purported upsides.  This may never gain traction, but that is my position on it.  

Side note, there was a time when Invulnerability had, prior to gdn and ed, 90% resistance to all damage types but toxic (44%) and psionic (0%).  That was when the game was brightest for me.

I don't recall Invulnerability having any Psionic Resist now.

As for Energy Melee, I can tell you, as someone who played it back on live before and after it's nerf and who played it on Homecoming before and after it's Buff, it's better now.  😛

Even for Tankers, I'm pretty sure the best DPS forgoes Barrage and goes ET (slow) > Total Focus > ET (fast) > Bone Smasher > Gloom (not sure if there's an equivalent to Gloom in another Epic) > Repeat.

On my main, I don't even use the first attack except when exempt.

Don't want to use it and want it like it was before?  Then play it with those same attacks, and you lose nothing and only possibly gain.  Whirling Hand was improved too!

• Like 1

This is the first ???? post I have seen in a while. 

I generally  hate tank play. That being said, I found 2 tanks that I actually really love. They have a fit in every team. I have a third tank I am mixed on, but absolutely adore the enm portion of that tank. (this is probably due to not enough slotting of anything status).  That tank love came directly out of page6whatever. 

I have an enm stalker, scrapper, tank. I had an enm stalker from before the changes, and frankly, the changes makes that char zing along stupidly. The enhanced cone and aoe sizes on a tank make enm shine REALLY nicely.

No AT is required. None. Ever. You can run a superteam of any one AT with any powerset combinations, _and still stomp ass_. EVEN a team of 8 tanks.

I see you have _3_ posts, two of which are in this thread. Either you joined just to complain, or you just joined, in which case there are vast changes that have taken place since Live shutdown and Today that you probably aren't aware of. 

That you reference diversification as a reference point makes me confused at best. ED is a ship that has sailed so so so so so many years ago that its like saying the ancient greeks had the best heavy metal.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

Well there's always the Rebirth server.

Yea.  I mean, as much as I can I try to get people to work with what they like here, and find ways to minimize what they don't like.  I try to never give a "go try X server instead" answer.

But in this specific case?

11 hours ago, Sapharan said:

Tanks are irrelevant, imo, because team sizes are too large, CC classes are too efficient, brutes exist (should be reduced in durability), and the limit on aggro is too restrictive (the number of creatures tanks can taunt and maintain aggroed on them). 

@Sapharan .... I just don't think you're ever going to be happy here. 

• Brutes are a thing.  They're not going to suddenly go away, or have their durability nerfed into the ground.
  • Controllers and Doms are a thing.  Heck if anything, I'd say Controllers need some love to feel relevant against mobs that either die to easy to roving murder-balls, or when then team is up against a EB/AV with Purple Triangles and all their wonderful control means exactly Jack und Schitt. I don't have much hope of that happening, but the point is, I definitely DO NOT expect to suddenly have control powers nerfed.
  • Team sizes being reduced?  Never gonna happen. Although you can voluntarily just stop recruiting more than 4 if you're the leader. 

You could try soloing / small teams, and hunting down some of the more difficult content like the First Ward / Night Ward story arcs, or Number 6's arc, etc. 

But.... if you're looking for a game where Tankers tank a raidboss and clouds of adds a 10 minute fight?  This ain't it. 

• Like 4

I happen to love the EM changes, though I haven't rolled a tank with one, it's on my eventual alt list.   I do have a bunch of tanks and find them fun to play on teams and solo.

I also find that good tanks tend to elevate some teams from we're doing OK to steamroll machines.

EM performs better than before. It is a fact. Not liking the combo mechanic is understandable though. Not everyone will like every change.

Tankers are not even close to being irrelevant.  They received some fairly significant offensive buffs that have really closed the gap between them and brutes in AoE damage. Brutes still have the edge in single target, but tankers can be built tougher much easier allowing them to focus on things like recharge and procs.

Honestly, tankers have never been better in my opinion than they are now. Same with energy melee. 

• Like 2

I personally love the changes, especially for a stalker.

My only criticisms are tied to how perfect focus is for stalkers, and how unreliable it is for everyone else, as well as how wimpy the aoe feels for non-stalkers but that aside, it's now a very good performer.

Hmmm. Let me clean this OP up...

Change aggro cap

Change EM

Remove CoV

Return the game to i3.5 (because i4 had travel suppression)

I think..... This may not be the game for you 😜 as it is, it seems like you dislike everything about the game.

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, BrandX said:

As for Energy Melee, I can tell you, as someone who played it back on live before and after it's nerf and who played it on Homecoming before and after it's Buff, it's better now. 

I can tell you, as someone who played it back on live before and after it's nerf and who played it on Homecoming before and after it's "Buff", it's different now. Not everyone will get the same mileage or enjoyment from the re-envisioned Energy Melee set. If a player dislikes combo mechanics, chances are they will dislike the new energy melee.

Tanks.. there is a can of worms. They did get an increase to number of targets for many attacks which = more damage over all. Raising aggro caps slightly, maybe.

The Homecoming team has done a good job to allow the game to function well on modern computers. For that and making the game available, they deserve kudos.

@Sapharan Lots of other options available which may replace some of those old favorites. Still lots of fun to be had if you missed the old game.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

9 minutes ago, Troo said:

I can tell you, as someone who played it back on live before and after it's nerf and who played it on Homecoming before and after it's "Buff", it's different now. Not everyone will get the same mileage or enjoyment from the re-envisioned Energy Melee set. If a player dislikes combo mechanics, chances are they will dislike the new energy melee.

Tanks.. there is a can of worms. They did get an increase to number of targets for many attacks which = more damage over all. Raising aggro caps slightly, maybe.

The Homecoming team has done a good job to allow the game to function well on modern computers. For that and making the game available, they deserve kudos.

@Sapharan Lots of other options available which may replace some of those old favorites. Still lots of fun to be had if you missed the old game.

One can ignore the combo mechanic though.  One doesn't have to go TF > ET or TF > Barrage or ET > PC.

People went without Stun, so can go without PC.

No you can't ignore the combo mechanic.. sorry, that is simply a lame point to try and promote. I get what you're saying but no.

Swapping the power positions pretty much forces TF use. If someone is looking from a 'skip to 50' perspective I can see how they might feel it's the same but better.

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

5 minutes ago, Troo said:

No you can't ignore the combo mechanic.. sorry, that is simply a lame point to try and promote. I get what you're saying but no.

Swapping the power positions pretty much forces TF use. If someone is looking from a 'skip to 50' perspective I can see how they might feel it's the same but better.

Yes.  You will at some point hit that combo, as the ring will stay, but you don't have to be focused on it at all.  Which is still the same thing as just hitting the buttons as recharged, as it sounds like done before.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 6:09 PM, Sapharan said:

Your change to Energy Melee is unnecessary

The set was an utter pile of shite before the changes. It made a gutter set into one of the best.

On 3/26/2021 at 6:09 PM, Sapharan said:

cumbersome, and it punishes me for wanting to play Energy Melee,

Cumbersome? By making powers better, and the best attack into nearly ALWAYS insta cast? Say what? And how does it punish you exactly?

• Like 3

I would have to disagree also. Energy Melee is just better and faster animating now. More cohesive IMO. And tanks? They are among the best archetypes in the game now. Are they required? Not necessarily, but they make all content easier.

Unless this is a joke, I have to wonder what kind of groups you have been rolling with lately. My second instinct is to question whether your toon is set up well or some other misconception at work that is undermining your enjoyment of your character.

Lastly, I really feel like this is deja vu because I had this almost same conversation in a PI radio group a few days ago. I run through PI radio content quickly without necessarily waiting for the tank, since I can solo the content, regardless of what character I play. Groups just allow me to go faster and I like socializing a little here and there. On this day there was an nrg tank who made similar comments, but they were much lower level and were not twinked at all. So, yes, a tank in that situation will not live long compared to a fully twinked 50 of any archetype. But a tank who is tricked out will laugh as everyone else dies.

• Like 1