Credit Where Credit is Due

VV

Yo heavies! So, I know we all gripe a lot, and I am certainly high in the gripe-to-kudos ratio, but every now and then, even I have to put in a good word where I see it. A little background, y'all know I'm an old old tanker. My first 50 and main on Live was a tanker and even when we had to go to that "other" superhero game, my main was tanky.

So, last night, I was testing out my new Blaster, Fire/Atomic. Designed with the motto, "RotP is part of the rotation." Low defenses, high damage. I jumped on a PI team fighting Council radios on +4x8. Led by a tank named Acadian Avenger, who I did not know. Blaster facing Council... could have been. OMG we rocked it.

AA is a superb tank. I missed the powerset, though did notice she's a flying tank. She gave as near-perfect a class on proper tanking as I have ever seen. Got out ahead, gathered groups quickly, never whined about any KB, never dawdled, knew exactly when to move out or pull in another group, dealt with any overpulls by certain blasters, kept things moving quickly, but never left anyone behind.

I rarely get to see a tanker that tanks so well, especially these days. No matter what anyone says, proper tanking makes a huge difference to kill-speed and enjoyment. So, I just wanted to say great job to Acadian Avenger! If you're on here, take a bow!

Anybody else have good tanking stories, either that you have seen or done? Let's tell good stories for a minute.

• Like 7

You love to see this. A good tanker can really direct the whole operation and it's a beautiful sight when it's done well. It gets even better when there's a good controller/dominator on the team that knows when to lock a group down after the tank get's them in his taunt aura.

I would also like to share tanker horror stories though. I play on Excelsior and have come across these players several times. Those tanks that INSIST on pulling the entire map of enemies behind a corner. Every time they just cap their aggro and end up getting lowbies or support/cc players killed by stray mobs. I've even had an instance where the tank got upset and had some not-so-nice things to say to the rest of the team because we would mez/kill mobs, interrupting his 'herd'. Those have been my only bad experiences since I've been on Homecoming. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 12:44 PM, VV said:

Yo heavies! So, I know we all gripe a lot, and I am certainly high in the gripe-to-kudos ratio, but every now and then, even I have to put in a good word where I see it. A little background, y'all know I'm an old old tanker. My first 50 and main on Live was a tanker and even when we had to go to that "other" superhero game, my main was tanky.

So, last night, I was testing out my new Blaster, Fire/Atomic. Designed with the motto, "RotP is part of the rotation." Low defenses, high damage. I jumped on a PI team fighting Council radios on +4x8. Led by a tank named Acadian Avenger, who I did not know. Blaster facing Council... could have been. OMG we rocked it.

AA is a superb tank. I missed the powerset, though did notice she's a flying tank. She gave as near-perfect a class on proper tanking as I have ever seen. Got out ahead, gathered groups quickly, never whined about any KB, never dawdled, knew exactly when to move out or pull in another group, dealt with any overpulls by certain blasters, kept things moving quickly, but never left anyone behind.

I rarely get to see a tanker that tanks so well, especially these days. No matter what anyone says, proper tanking makes a huge difference to kill-speed and enjoyment. So, I just wanted to say great job to Acadian Avenger! If you're on here, take a bow!

Anybody else have good tanking stories, either that you have seen or done? Let's tell good stories for a minute.

Great post VV and glad to see players getting well deserved credit. I hope posts continue to flow into the thread.

• Like 1

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

On 4/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, tan702 said:

I would also like to share tanker horror stories though.

Okay, but how about either starting your own thread for that or posting in any of the thousands of other threads griping about bad players? Then we can keep this one on topic and actually have one positive thread, eh? Can you help out here?

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, tan702 said:

You love to see this. A good tanker can really direct the whole operation and it's a beautiful sight when it's done well. It gets even better when there's a good controller/dominator on the team that knows when to lock a group down after the tank get's them in his taunt aura.

I would also like to share tanker horror stories though. I play on Excelsior and have come across these players several times. Those tanks that INSIST on pulling the entire map of enemies behind a corner. Every time they just cap their aggro and end up getting lowbies or support/cc players killed by stray mobs. I've even had an instance where the tank got upset and had some not-so-nice things to say to the rest of the team because we would mez/kill mobs, interrupting his 'herd'. Those have been my only bad experiences since I've been on Homecoming. 

I'll generally just gather ahead and ducking behind a piller or any object along my way will collapse the room very quickly and efficiently on you just as good as a corner pull and theres no waiting or down time or pulling near the team.

It reminds me of Chris farley in Beverly hills ninja hiding behind a column. lol 

Corner pulling can still be a thing but not like it was when you would pull an entire room of x bots with the message of pulling to here... Wait here.... Then spongebobs 3 hours later 500 the tanker rounds the corner followed by 200 x enemy.

And honestly nostalgia aside I am glad thats gone.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Infinitum said:

I'll generally just gather ahead and ducking behind a piller or any object along my way will collapse the room very quickly and efficiently on you just as good as a corner pull and theres no waiting or down time or pulling near the team.

I find this really slows everything down to a crawl compared to diving into the spawn and (if necessary) compressing it with Taunt.

I don't think I've seen proper tanking in a while but not necessarily because there are no good tanks out there, I think there are far more bad CC players than bad tankers. There's no point in trying to herd when required or simply pack a mob if ppl just spam their AoE immobs anytime everytime.

All in all, hats off to Arcadian Avenger for not giving up on tanking.

Edited by Nightmarer
Because pudding

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

13 hours ago, Hjarki said:

I find this really slows everything down to a crawl compared to diving into the spawn and (if necessary) compressing it with Taunt.

I'm talking about going ahead of the group once the current spawn is under control.  Which involves agroing everything in a room or corridor so they gather behind you and is one nice group when the team catches up.  Even if you lose agro they will regain interest as you destroy the spawn and the cap isnt full.

It actually speeds it up.

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Infinitum said:

I'm talking about going ahead of the group

Infinitum tanking with a Mad King Stormie on the team, they both walk into a room together, who’s first into the spawn?

My standing joke/apology whenever I play it is “I don’t mean to overrule the Tank, but I hav—gotta goooo!”

17 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Infinitum tanking with a Mad King Stormie on the team, they both walk into a room together, who’s first into the spawn?

My standing joke/apology whenever I play it is “I don’t mean to overrule the Tank, but I hav—gotta goooo!”

It wouldnt be you.  lol

I was the Thunder God Stormie tonight actually - so I get it what you are saying :-) but it still wouldnt be you if I was on my tanker.