Could you cut it in the big time?

12 hours ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

Pick a toon, your favorite, current, or your main.  Could they cut it in your favorite comic book universe? Hanging out in the Justice League with Superman, Theorycrafting world domination plans with Victor Von Doom, spa day with Spawn.  Would you be a player or played and who would you take to another universe.

Yomo would be the guy saying, "Nice supergroup you've got there, Supes.  It'd be a shame if something, hmm, *happened* to it."

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

Several of my heros would find themselves having a suspiciously similar backstory to certain other superheroes... 

My dark/dark tanker (soul noir 4 eva) Corona Borealis is to Kheldians what DC's Apollo is to Kryptonians... the victim of an experiment to try and create their own weaponised version who turned out to be pretty badass on his own. I've been playing him a bit less since the onset of the plague for name-related reasons, but I think he and Apollo would have deep and sad conversations long into the night about what it's like to be both an imitation of something and something else in its own right. 

Mother Blight is basically Mother Panic but radioactive instead of cybernetically enhanced. Father Fright is her but Praetorian and stealthy (and a man). They'd probably all have a massive row, get drunk, then wake up in bed together and all never speak to each other ever again. 

Doctor Fortune would probably have a good time in Bludhaven. He's more a Nightwing ally than a Batman one as he's somewhere nearer rogue/anti-villain and Batman gets constipated about morally ambiguous people.

The Dark Watchman is Red Hood with the serial numbers filed off, so they'd probably get on pretty well as casual business acquaintances. 

Storm Lantern would slide neatly into Justice League Dark, although sudden-onset indoor weather would probably be less useful in story than in game. 

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

13 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Yomo would be the guy saying, "Nice supergroup you've got there, Supes.  It'd be a shame if something, hmm, *happened* to it."

I always picture Yomo as the guy who flipped enough market items to end up buying Lexcorp, Stark Industries and the Wayne Foundation.

I have two favourite comic book universes and my top toon would not survive in either 😆

My top toon, Phoenix Bramble, is a radioactive plant-man, permanently on fire. In the world of Judge Dredd and Mega City 1 he would likely be hunted down as a dangerous mutant and sentenced to many years in an isocube. 

In my other favourite comic books he would never survive A Fray with the Mighty Hero Barbarian Groo! (If you dont know who Groo I suggest looking him up, hilarity will ensue 🙂 )

Edited by Lunchmoney

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

My current badge-collector is Jailbird Jamie, an escaped convict from the Rogue Isles sent to the Port Oakes Pen for non-payment of bribes. (What else?) He got high on stimulants, jumped the fence, and is spending his unofficial furlough whacking fascists with a garden shovel.

My favorite comic book superhero is Martine Juliette Clocqueur, a World War II spy who was in the pay of both Britain and Germany but worked only for France. Her superpowers were deception, seduction, and marksmanship.

They are not time travelers, so they could not meet, but I think that they would get along.

Heraclea and Wonder Woman would probably see eye to eye on most things, but Heraclea would be puzzled why the political system of the DC Amazons seems so poorly laid out and unrepresentative. 

Some of my other characters have quite odd agendas like reviving the Hapsburg or Merina monarchies or converting the world to a secret sect of assassins in the name of Mustapha Ibrahim.  Some are emissaries of bloodthirsty Aztec gods, sent to Paragon City for the sole purpoese of killing Skuls.  All of these characters fancy themselves to be heroes in their own minds.  A wider world might not think them so. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I'd say Gaia Redeemer could fight with heavyweights in other universes in terms of ability, mostly because said ability of his is "screw your supernatural protections, you now bleed like your average joe when I hit you" (probably would lead to some interesting slugouts when Brainiac is killed by pillow smothering). But attitude wise, I don't see him as being able to get along with most of the DCU, he believes in 'old justice' too much and thinks some people just need to die for the world to be better. Might be okay in the Marvel universe though and be helpful for stopping hulk rampages with a solid kick to the groin. Or kneecapping Galactus.

Now, Tuxedo Cat might have a bit of the opposite problem in many ways, as despite being a metahuman and superhero, he very much believes in following police procedure and would point out how many freaking laws someone like Batman violates, both federal and local. Though he also believes that it's okay to kill hostiles within reason. Ability wise though, he's super agile, super senses, etc. But he's far from bulletproof or able to fight heavyweights. That said he'd totally be curious if he has a shot with Selina Kyle.

17 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

I have two favourite comic book universes and my top toon would not survive in either 😆

My top toon, Phoenix Bramble, is a radioactive plant-man, permanently on fire. In the world of Judge Dredd and Mega City 1 he would likely be hunted down as a dangerous mutant and sentenced to many years in an isocube. 

Damn, tough break i'd only hope Rufferto don't piss on your leg.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 2:08 PM, DougGraves said:

I'm a huge champions fan from 1st edition.  Are you saying Prowlers & Paragons is better than Champions for superheroes?

It captures the feel of Champions without the complexity.   It has a lot of older Champions contributors involved and the original Champs authors have played in a few games of it and greatly enjoyed it.   (I'm friends with the P&PUE people and know the Hero people)

It's available via drive thru as a PDF now, and will have print copies available.  (Not sure when, the KS people are just about to get theirs)

And yes, the combats are faster that Hero and deals with hordes of agents pretty nicely.  Quickstart for free is: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/269917/Prowlers--Paragons-Ultimate-Edition-Quickstart?term=Prowlers

16 minutes ago, lemming said:

And yes, the combats are faster that Hero and deals with hordes of agents pretty nicely.  Quickstart for free is: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/269917/Prowlers--Paragons-Ultimate-Edition-Quickstart?term=Prowlers

Nice!

That was always the one big problems my tabletop crew had with Champions. Combat just took *So.Freakin'.Long.* to resolve... and heaven help you if you're the person playing a SPD 5 character in a group of mostly SPD 6 or 7 characters! 

(*raises hand* One of mine... an intentionally moderately-paced spell-casting magician-type... was like that. In one 6-on-6, team-vs-team fight, he ended up facing an also-SPD-5 witch. The slowest member of the opposing group. The player who was controlling her for the battle and I ended up having the two of them head down the street to the local diner for coffee while they were waiting for their turns to come up.  That was the fight that took almost twelve real-time hours to finish. 😆 Ah, gaming in our college days.)

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I liked the complexity of champions and did not feel it was too slow to play.

What I disliked was that they made all builds end up being the same with  limits - Speed 4-6, Def 25, damage 12d6, etc.  Bricks and martial artists had the same speed, to hit, damage, etc.

And they had fixed price items that did not work with the scaling points.  Speed is just a multiplier of your ability.  Going from speed 4 to speed 5 gives you +25% as many actions.  It was just always worth it to have a speed of 8 or so.  And damage reduction had a fixed cost, so when a character was 350 points you should always have damage reduction - it was just more effective and cheaper than resistance.

An alt of mine and a friend's, we call the dolts.  Stupid lazy slackers, more comic book and anime nerds.  My friend's alt has 7 PHds, is a fashion designer, and solve lots of complicated problems.  My alt, dumb as shit and has a Bachelors degree in art...they give those away.  One accidently created the universe by exploding all the matter after compressing it to the size of a marble in the past, the other gains their power from the death of the universe in the future...aka very powerful; but with great power comes a great stupidity for these two.  Both are pretty much useless in ordinary day lives working retail jobs; but unknown to them are stupidly rich by owning the worlds biggest corporation they started by buying $.00001 priced stock with a $10 gift card, which is somehow run by a pair of cats called CC and BC (cats with devine power, Ceiling Cat and Basement Cat).  These two have a sense of justice that results in thugs who physically assault a woman being insta killed vs villain's on the scale of Galactus/Apocalypse/Thanatos/Darkseid geting their ass beat with a sock full of quarters for preventing them from watching their favorite shows everytime they invade the planet.

Aka, they are just jokes that are stupidly powerful and useless citizens who have good heart.  Anger quickly and over react with vindictive force when someone is in trouble, but deal comedic justice with a daily can of ass whupping when galactic level threats impinge on their daily life and they can't watch TV.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer