The Coming Storm

1 hour ago, Faultline said:

All I can say at this point is that there is a plan, but everybody involved knows how hyped this particular story arc was and wants to do it justice to the best of our abilities. This means keeping it backburnered until we have the experience, assets and mechanics to really sell it as the game-changer it's supposed to be.

Again, just my 2 cents, but, if it’s going to be a game changer, then it should actually change the game world. This would mean eliminating certain factions and developing new ones (or evolved versions of what we already have). I’d say change the game on the player end, but the trend has been to make things easier and easier for players (travel, Insp access, the marketplace, new/better power sets, etc.). So an evolving world seems the next logical thing. 

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

An evolving world would seriously alienate a large number of the playerbase, though, as evidenced by the many, many posts we see on a regular basis.  Just look at Galaxy City . . . 

A progressively expanding world, however, is a much more stable and acceptable approach, I expect.

Granted, I think it would be cool to dedicate specific -new- zones* had evolving stories.  Notify players in advance at the time of initial reveal, so they won't feel the rug is pulled out from under them, but have these new zones "subject to potential and catastrophic change."  Have these new zones be THE de facto set dressing for Homecoming's continued development of major storylines.  This way they can simultaneously distinguish their own creative endeavours while maintaining the legacy of what came before, and deploy entirely new and interesting game mechanics without robbing players of existing gameplay they've come to love.

Naturally, the developmental resources and time required to do that may not make it the most feasible approach, but I'd still like to encourage the Homecoming Team to focus on making additions rather than changes to the game.

*(Kallisti Wharf included, because I think this was exactly what the Legacy Devs had in mind for it from the get-go.)

7 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

An evolving world would seriously alienate a large number of the playerbase

I think you can insert "X" for "evolving world" and have some truth to this statement (because what the playerbase wants is not even close to uniform). Everything you recommended is in line with what I'm also saying ("change the game world"). I expect that's the route we’ll see. I'm just saying the Devs shouldn't be afraid of taking a risk for the health of the game, that's all. For the record, I'm good with the game as is, because I can tailor most of the experience to my own tastes. Just adding my opinion, is all.

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

21 hours ago, Darmian said:

See, what we have here is a situation where Lord Recluse is, to paraphrase ...ahem...the hero that Paragon needs, not the one it wants, but he can take it. A Dark Knight, a watchful guardian, a beacon of hope against the Battalion.

(Goes and has a lie down) 

Well, the good guys would be fools not to at least ally with them until the crisis is past.  Even Grant Creston has stated plainly that Arachnos soldiers are more highly skilled fighters than Praetoria's elite D.U.S.T. troopers.  Probably tied with Vanguard and Malta Group as Primal Earth's best warfighters.  🙏

Then there's Longbow.  Kinda dopey and useless, but they don't mind hurling themselves to their dooms, so just toss 'em in there somewhere as a distraction.  😆

1 hour ago, Grindingsucks said:

Then there's Longbow.  Kinda dopey and useless, but they don't mind hurling themselves to their dooms, so just toss 'em in there somewhere as a distraction.

Oh I don't think Longbow are kinda dopey and useless at all. I see...other things going on there 🙂

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

19 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

As for the Rikti . . . seriously, stop picking on them!  A whole race of peoples reduced to just an extremist group of militants?  That feels bad.  Not only that, but most of the Rikti we fight are just people from our own world who have been converted in to more Rikti!  That feels REALLY bad.  

I would like to see some more development of Rikti (re)integrating peacefully in to our societies . . . or at least trying.  Imagine a rehab centre for Rikti converts who are trying to reclaim their original lives.  There's a LOT of potential to explore there.

Well, given that *is* what one of the factions is aiming for, in a way...

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

6 hours ago, cranebump said:

I had a different take on Battalion using AE. Spread it out over 50+ missions. Linked  it to the 7-year gap. Had exactly one person play the whole thing (@Darmian). Still think it was a novel approach, but pulled down the arcs to use the slots for other things. Might try a much shorter version of the same premise.

... why, when you can just ask a GM for more slots?

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

33 minutes ago, Greycat said:

... why, when you can just ask a GM for more slots?

Because he's a perfectionist and is probably off polishing it and moving scenes and so on!

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

1 hour ago, Darmian said:

Because he's a perfectionist and is probably off polishing it and moving scenes and so on!

I wish. It was mainly because it always took a while to get them. And I felt nagging would have the opposite effect. That said, I think I can do Mobius in at least 10 fewer missions.:-) what I need is to get all the slots moved to one account. So I’d be asking for 9 slots (I think), plus extras for current stuff (I’d like at least 6 more). Feel like a lot to ask for someone who’s never won an award or anything.

Edited by cranebump

13 minutes ago, cranebump said:

I wish. It was mainly because it always took a while to get them. And I felt nagging would have the opposite effect. That said, I think I can do Mobius in at least 10 fewer missions.:-) what I need is to get all the slots moved to one account. So I’d be asking for 9 slots (I think), plus extras for current stuff (I’d like at least 6 more). Feel like a lot to ask for someone who’s never won an award or anything.

No it isn't.  You're producing material to play, as opposed to Fire Farm #9073, and it's quality material IMO, and asking for more slots to do that in is perfectly fine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Darmian said:

No it isn't.  You're producing material to play, as opposed to Fire Farm #9073, and it's quality material IMO, and asking for more slots to do that in is perfectly fine.

Can I quote you on that?:-) 

Yeah, I should ask about this, I guess. Speaking of that mega-arc, it did leave open the possibility (still) of "fissures," which would've justified various types of one shots, special events, etc.). That was one of the reasons I went that way. You can have displaced Vikings, for one thing.:-)

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 1

I am still more than satisfied with the story content that was pushed out last issue and being fixed this issue. The hero and villain arcs have so many new mechanics and story lore in them. Even the npc and enemies are designed well. The reality that the game is back is really awesome and even more so knowing that the past two years have brought such great content from volunteers on Homecoming feels really promising. 

• Like 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png