New Special Salvage: Slot Mover

Wavicle

The main one I can think of is it would have to maintain the legality of the character. I.e., it would let you move a slot in such a way that you make a character build that couldn't have been made the hard way via respeccing. 

On the other hand, we know at which level we took powers, that's essential to exemping effects on power availability and such. So, for example, the power taken at level 49 can't have more than four slots in it, because it comes with one, and we get three slots at fifty, so no matter how we slice it, that power can have at most four slots. Maybe that's the only hard limit?

Otherwise, the Slot Mover would also need to unslot any enhancement that was in the slot, or be limited to a slot that was empty. 

2 minutes ago, Andreah said:

The main one I can think of is it would have to maintain the legality of the character. I.e., it would let you move a slot in such a way that you make a character build that couldn't have been made the hard way via respeccing. 

On the other hand, we know at which level we took powers, that's essential to exemping effects on power availability and such. So, for example, the power taken at level 49 can't have more than four slots in it, because it comes with one, and we get three slots at fifty, so no matter how we slice it, that power can have at most four slots. Maybe that's the only hard limit?

Otherwise, the Slot Mover would also need to unslot any enhancement that was in the slot, or be limited to a slot that was empty. 

I believe respecs are already level agnostic on slots and I believe you can 6 slot something at 50 because you have all powers available to slot at once.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

1 minute ago, Andreah said:

I assumed there would be some hard limits such as, perhaps:

You can only select the power, not the slot, and it simply chooses the last slot added to that power.

Any enhancement in the final slot in the power would be lost.

Regarding the legality, I think in Homecoming we are able to add slots in respecs that we would not be able to when levelling. Such as 6-slotting our level 49 power. So I'm not sure what limits there would have to be in that regard.

• Like 1

I don't care if it's a salvage or just an option during a respec to KEEP your current powers, KEEP your current slotting, and then move slots on a one-by-one basis. 

I mean, none of it is necessary. We all manage respecs under the current system just fine. And I literally have more respecs than I know what to do with. If I could auction respec tokens I get from superpacks, or even hand them out as a gift, pure gratis, I would.  But it would definitely be a quality of life improvemen to have some manner of "limited respec" to just move a couple slots around, keep your powers, and keep any power tray butttons untouched if that button involves a power you had both before AND after the respec.

I'm sure the coding work would be non-trivial. 

I'm sure they'd need to take a snapshot of additional data beforehand and do a bunch of compares during each stage of the respec. 

But I'm hopeful (though I do not truly KNOW) that respecs are kind of tucked away in their own section of code, and would have pretty low risk to any impact on how powers preform afterwards or have any risk of breaking missions, etc. 

37 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Probably more valuable than a respec

I could agree with that.

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

And I literally have more respecs than I know what to do with. If I could auction respec tokens I get from superpacks, or even hand them out as a gift, pure gratis, I would.

Totally on board here. Let me sell/trade those zillions of respec and even free tailor sessions. There are people who would love to buy them, or receive them as gifts.

I want to say it was tried and broke something, but I can't say I'm 100% (honestly, even 75%) on that memory. I wouldn't be *surprised* if a slot-move broke something... we've heard how the code is, after all!

I wouldn't argue with it being implemented if it's at all feasable, though.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

12 hours ago, Greycat said:

I want to say it was tried and broke something, but I can't say I'm 100% (honestly, even 75%) on that memory. I wouldn't be *surprised* if a slot-move broke something... we've heard how the code is, after all!

I wouldn't argue with it being implemented if it's at all feasable, though.

I know the live devs tried adding a bonus slot as a veteran reward, and it broke everything. I'm not sure if they tried a slot mover, but people certainly requested it fairly often on the forums.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tiger Shadow said:

I know the live devs tried adding a bonus slot as a veteran reward, and it broke everything. I'm not sure if they tried a slot mover, but people certainly requested it fairly often on the forums.

That might be what I was thinking of.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:52 PM, Andreah said:

SCoRE got rid of that limitation years ago. You can put your slots wherever the heck you want when respecing.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 3:55 PM, Normal Thomas said:

I believe respecs are already level agnostic on slots and I believe you can 6 slot something at 50 because you have all powers available to slot at once.

Pretty sure of that yeah.  But it's an interesting thought experiment: if we tampered in god's domain and created this unholy slot-moving ability, how would people feel about being able to slot a 49 power past four slots?  Is there an argument to be made against it?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 minute ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Pretty sure of that yeah.  But it's an interesting thought experiment: if we tampered in god's domain and created this unholy slot-moving ability, how would people feel about being able to slot a 49 power past four slots?  Is there an argument to be made against it?

You can  already do that in a respec at 50, that’s what they meant by “agnostic”.

Edited by Wavicle

3 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

You can  already do that in a respec at 50, that’s what they meant by “agnostic”.

Oh, I misread and thought you couldn't do that at 50.  You can see how often I mess around with respecing I guess.

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 1 month later
On 3/31/2021 at 6:26 PM, Andreah said:

I could agree with that.

Totally on board here. Let me sell/trade those zillions of respec and even free tailor sessions. There are people who would love to buy them, or receive them as gifts.

I would also like to receive them as gifts recently I received expert watchman for a complete review video

Edited by susanjoe86