What fundamental structures, assumptions, etc should be reconsidered for CoX?

DougGraves

This might be a minor thing but I wish I could see the name of the account owner more easily in chats. I feel like I must constantly team with the same small subgroup of people but I have no idea who they are, nor do they realize they are teamed with me over and over.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

That's what /getglobalname and /playernote commands are for, @oedipus_tex.

I mean, the UX for them could definitely be better, if that's what your complaint is, but if you didn't know about these features, then I hope they meet your needs!

My challenge is figuring out which accounts are people's alt accounts.   I've kept all of mine the same, with different prefixes  . . . but I know a couple of players who have 4+ accounts, each with totally different names.  THAT does my head in.

3 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

That's what /getglobalname and /playernote commands are for, @oedipus_tex.

I mean, the UX for them could definitely be better, if that's what your complaint is, but if you didn't know about these features, then I hope they meet your needs!

It's not really a complaint. I just wish I could turn on the ability to see it in chat. Looking people up isn't something I do.

2 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

It's not really a complaint. I just wish I could turn on the ability to see it in chat. Looking people up isn't something I do.

Agreed.  I have no idea if I run into the same player again.  Looking up everyone I play with is not feasible.  If I saw the player name I might recognize them.

I would like to make all power pools standardized as:

T1a: Requires level 4, no pool investment

T1b: Requires level 4, no pool investment

T1c: Requires level 4, no pool investment

T2: Requires level 14, 1 pool power investment

T3: Requires level 20, 2 pool powers investment

• Like 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

I'm a big fan of City of Heroes. So I wouldn't want anything reimagined in 2021.

But, looking back. I wish Arachnos/The Rogue Isles hadn't been styled after Korean Anime/Videogames. It would have been much better to have Arachnos and their leaders actually look like Western supervillains (Spandex, etc). That's one thing COH always had a shortage of.

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

Counterpoint:   The lack of spandex-clad villains speaks to the tone and is very consistent with the actual aesthetic genre which defines City of Heroes, and is a very strong selling point!  If one feels the gameplay is fine as-is, it could be reasonable to accept that the aesthetic is fine as-is as well.

Point of view and opinions and all that, of course.  Not trying to gatekeep, but rather illustrate that City of Heroes has -always- been "not just a 'golden age' spandex simulator."  It is so much more.

4 hours ago, America's Angel said:

I wish Arachnos/The Rogue Isles hadn't been styled after Korean Anime/Videogames

Don't see that at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Yeah, was just about to say that too.  Thanks, @Darmian.

I'm saying Arachnos fits City of Heroes aesthetic.  

But even -if- there was any kind of "Korean anime" inspiration behind Arachnos, then I'd stress that it's -still- the City of Heroes aesthetic.  The concept art is signed and dated, and goes all the way back to the same year as City of Heroes Beta.  The vision of City of Villains was already largely set in motion before City of Heroes even had its official release.  The team just expanded to pick up Zeb Cook and crew to get the thing put together and delivered on time.  (At least as far as I remember.  Will admit that 15+ years can play tricks on the old memory.)

And -really- . . . if you want to complain about art which is clearly inspired by influences outside of the integral aesthetics of the game itself, then look to the Top Cow run of the City of Heroes official comic books.  Oof.