Unique Taunt IOs in Non-Taunt Powers

Sentinels are cool. You know what would be cooler?

Slotting a Taunt Proc IO (250% maybe?) into Fireball or Rain of Fire as a way to sort of make your Sentinel into an Off-tank.

I know the Presence Power Pool Taunt exists, but if a Tanker can put enough Proc IOs into Handclap to make it go from a PBAoE Stun to one of their highest DPA attack powers...

I think we could get a few Taunt-IO Uniques. It would also allow Widows, Soldiers, PBs, Warshades, Dominators, and Masterminds all pick up the mantle of "Off Tank" if they feel like they've got the slotting and survivability.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've added support for a similar idea as I have a lot of toons that I make to experiment with including defenders with provoke and such.

I'd be cool with a taunt proc in a few attacks, but maybe even more of a want for me would be a taunt proc in a resistance IO, so I can slot it in Tough since I take that a lot.

--- rewrite in new post ---

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:28 PM, Steampunkette said:

I know the Presence Power Pool Taunt exists, but if a Tanker can put enough Proc IOs into Handclap to make it go from a PBAoE Stun to one of their highest DPA attack powers...

I think we could get a few Taunt-IO Uniques

Are you trying to slot the Taunt-IO for the taunt aspect?

You seem to be simply wanting to slot it for the proc.

Even if you had a taunt, your taunt wouldn't override even a scraper Challenge or a stalker's Provocation.

It would be in a tier below those three and I think even those two might be able to be overridden by the taunt of damage in some cases.

I don't think taunting fits with the Sentinel archetype.

I don't think that Sentinels should have the advantage of being able to slot a taunt proc any more than a melee archetype should be able to slot a ranged AoE proc.

My two cents on it.

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

Are you trying to slot the Taunt-IO for the taunt aspect?

You seem to be simply wanting to slot it for the proc.

Even if you had a taunt, your taunt wouldn't override even a scraper Challenge or a stalker's Provocation.

It would be in a tier below those three and I think even those two might be able to be overridden by the taunt of damage in some cases.

I don't think that Sentinels should have the advantage of being able to slot a taunt proc any more than a melee archetype should be able to slot a ranged AoE proc.

My two cents on it.

I want a new Targeted AoE Damage IO Set with a Unique IO for it's 6th slot. We can call the set "Thrill Seeker". That Unique IO will pop a 250% Taunt off on every target hit by the Attack that it is slotted into. Not enough to steal aggro off a character built to taunt, but enough to protect a squishy friend, maybe.

I also want a new Ranged Damage IO Set with a Unique IO for it's 6th Slot. We can call it "Aggravation". That Unique IO will pop a 250% Taunt off on any target hit by the Attack that it is slotted into. Not enough to steal aggro off a character built to taunt, but enough to protect a squishy friend, maybe.

It'd be great to have a Melee Damage IO Set with a Unique IO for it's 6th Slot. We can call it "Nuisance". That Unique IO will pop a 250% Taunt off on any target hit by the Attack that it is slotted into. Not enough to steal aggro off a character built to taunt, but enough to protect a squishy friend, maybe.

You get the idea.

And yeah. It wouldn't strip aggro off a Brute or Tanker, or a Scrapper who is actively using their powerset's taunt. It's not -meant- to. But on a team where the Sentinel is the only character running around with a Taunt-Effect automatically going off, the Sentinel would be drawing in more aggro than the Defender. Or the Scrapper. Or the Arachnos Widow.

Similarly, the Arachnos Widow or the Dominator who has their positionals Softcapped and decent quantities of Resistance might wanna play "Tank" for their team of Squishies and slot a few. Or maybe they're on a Smosh team at +4x8 rushing around in smaller groups to clear maps faster and while the Brutes are rushing groups on their own the (Insert Archetype Here) wants to play Tank for the Support/Control character they're map-clearing with. Using this IO they could.

Especially useful for duos and other "Small Team Formats" for when you don't want/have an actual tanky character in the small-team.

Does that make more sense?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

drawing in more aggro than the Defender

... I tank with my Defender sometimes.

It's crazy. It's dangerous. It's exciting. It can be amazing. 😄

But if a Sentinel could do it instead of me, I think that's a win. 😃

3 hours ago, Andreah said:

... I tank with my Defender sometimes.

It's crazy. It's dangerous. It's exciting. It can be amazing. 😄

But if a Sentinel could do it instead of me, I think that's a win. 😃

Your Defender could also slot "Aggravation" and play tank for my Sentinel if you wanted to.

1 hour ago, AerialAssault said:

I'm about to do what's known as a Pro Gamer Move.

*slots Taunt Proc IO into Repulsion Bomb*
*taunts a bunch of enemies*
*activate Personal Force Field*

don't try this at home

Sooo... this is -clearly- a Nemesis Plot.

Edited by Steampunkette

22 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

Your Defender could also slot "Aggravation" and play tank for my Sentinel if you wanted to.

When I fold space, fulcrum shift, and dreadful wail, everything left wants to kill me badly enough, I don't need more aggro, but thanks. 😄 

17 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

My two cents on it.

I agree that taunting doesn't necessarily fit Sentinels either.  On the other hand, I don't see a reason that they shouldn't be able to -IF- they wanted too.  Things can only be more fun and interesting if the options are there.  There is already Provoke and it's single target version in the same pool.  It's obviously there for people to grab if they desire.

If someone wanted to simulate Punchvoke with either procs that give taunt or, as I suggested in another thread, an Incarnate Interface that does something similar then why not?  It wouldn't effect you and your Sentinels, or Defenders, or Masterminds, or VEATs, etc.

Also, Fireball and Ball Lightning in melee epic pools say 'Hello'.  Melees certainly have the ability to get targeted range AOE powers, along with many ranged attacks.

/signed as many times as possible

I have several stalkers that are effectively immortal and this would be amazing for them, same with my VEATs, Sentinels, and even blasters.

Nothing like attacking a group of enemies and having them decide to go on a marathon of the mission map, this would make these characters MUCH less annoying to play. This is one of my biggest issue with playing things not a scrapper, brute or tank. I would probably just make a single universal damage set, like overwhelming force.

Edited by Riot Siren

Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker                                               Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker        

On 4/4/2021 at 9:28 PM, Steampunkette said:

Sentinels are cool. You know what would be cooler?

Slotting a Taunt Proc IO (250% maybe?) into Fireball or Rain of Fire as a way to sort of make your Sentinel into an Off-tank.

I think we could get a few Taunt-IO Uniques. It would also allow Widows, Soldiers, PBs, Warshades, Dominators, and Masterminds all pick up the mantle of "Off Tank" if they feel like they've got the slotting and survivability.

This is an awesome idea! Would fix so many issues for my VEAT chars.