Jump to content

Unique Taunt IOs in Non-Taunt Powers


Recommended Posts

Sentinels are cool. You know what would be cooler?

 

Slotting a Taunt Proc IO (250% maybe?) into Fireball or Rain of Fire as a way to sort of make your Sentinel into an Off-tank.

 

I know the Presence Power Pool Taunt exists, but if a Tanker can put enough Proc IOs into Handclap to make it go from a PBAoE Stun to one of their highest DPA attack powers...

 

I think we could get a few Taunt-IO Uniques. It would also allow Widows, Soldiers, PBs, Warshades, Dominators, and Masterminds all pick up the mantle of "Off Tank" if they feel like they've got the slotting and survivability.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got to say, while I have disagreed with some of your suggestions before, I really like this one. This is a basic suggestion that I can really get behind and I genuinely hope this gets implemented in the game one day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've added support for a similar idea as I have a lot of toons that I make to experiment with including defenders with provoke and such.

 

I'd be cool with a taunt proc in a few attacks, but maybe even more of a want for me would be a taunt proc in a resistance IO, so I can slot it in Tough since I take that a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 9:28 PM, Steampunkette said:

I know the Presence Power Pool Taunt exists, but if a Tanker can put enough Proc IOs into Handclap to make it go from a PBAoE Stun to one of their highest DPA attack powers...

 

I think we could get a few Taunt-IO Uniques

 

Are you trying to slot the Taunt-IO for the taunt aspect?

 

You seem to be simply wanting to slot it for the proc.

 

Even if you had a taunt, your taunt wouldn't override even a scraper Challenge or a stalker's Provocation.

 

It would be in a tier below those three and I think even those two might be able to be overridden by the taunt of damage in some cases.

 

I don't think taunting fits with the Sentinel archetype.

I don't think that Sentinels should have the advantage of being able to slot a taunt proc any more than a melee archetype should be able to slot a ranged AoE proc.

 

My two cents on it.

 

 

Edited by UltraAlt
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

 

Are you trying to slot the Taunt-IO for the taunt aspect?

 

You seem to be simply wanting to slot it for the proc.

 

Even if you had a taunt, your taunt wouldn't override even a scraper Challenge or a stalker's Provocation.

 

It would be in a tier below those three and I think even those two might be able to be overridden by the taunt of damage in some cases.

 

I don't think taunting fits with the Sentinel archetype.

I don't think that Sentinels should have the advantage of being able to slot a taunt proc any more than a melee archetype should be able to slot a ranged AoE proc.

 

My two cents on it.

 

 

I want a new Targeted AoE Damage IO Set with a Unique IO for it's 6th slot. We can call the set "Thrill Seeker". That Unique IO will pop a 250% Taunt off on every target hit by the Attack that it is slotted into. Not enough to steal aggro off a character built to taunt, but enough to protect a squishy friend, maybe.

 

I also want a new Ranged Damage IO Set with a Unique IO for it's 6th Slot. We can call it "Aggravation". That Unique IO will pop a 250% Taunt off on any target hit by the Attack that it is slotted into. Not enough to steal aggro off a character built to taunt, but enough to protect a squishy friend, maybe.

 

It'd be great to have a Melee Damage IO Set with a Unique IO for it's 6th Slot. We can call it "Nuisance". That Unique IO will pop a 250% Taunt off on any target hit by the Attack that it is slotted into. Not enough to steal aggro off a character built to taunt, but enough to protect a squishy friend, maybe.

 

You get the idea.

 

And yeah. It wouldn't strip aggro off a Brute or Tanker, or a Scrapper who is actively using their powerset's taunt. It's not -meant- to. But on a team where the Sentinel is the only character running around with a Taunt-Effect automatically going off, the Sentinel would be drawing in more aggro than the Defender. Or the Scrapper. Or the Arachnos Widow.

 

Similarly, the Arachnos Widow or the Dominator who has their positionals Softcapped and decent quantities of Resistance might wanna play "Tank" for their team of Squishies and slot a few. Or maybe they're on a Smosh team at +4x8 rushing around in smaller groups to clear maps faster and while the Brutes are rushing groups on their own the (Insert Archetype Here) wants to play Tank for the Support/Control character they're map-clearing with. Using this IO they could.

 

Especially useful for duos and other "Small Team Formats" for when you don't want/have an actual tanky character in the small-team.

 

Does that make more sense?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

drawing in more aggro than the Defender

... I tank with my Defender sometimes.

 

It's crazy. It's dangerous. It's exciting. It can be amazing. 😄

 

But if a Sentinel could do it instead of me, I think that's a win. 😃

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about to do what's known as a Pro Gamer Move.

 

*slots Taunt Proc IO into Repulsion Bomb*
*taunts a bunch of enemies*
*activate Personal Force Field*

don't try this at home

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Andreah said:

... I tank with my Defender sometimes.

 

It's crazy. It's dangerous. It's exciting. It can be amazing. 😄

 

But if a Sentinel could do it instead of me, I think that's a win. 😃

 

Your Defender could also slot "Aggravation" and play tank for my Sentinel if you wanted to.

 

1 hour ago, AerialAssault said:

I'm about to do what's known as a Pro Gamer Move.

 

*slots Taunt Proc IO into Repulsion Bomb*
*taunts a bunch of enemies*
*activate Personal Force Field*

don't try this at home

 

Sooo... this is -clearly- a Nemesis Plot.

Edited by Steampunkette
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

Your Defender could also slot "Aggravation" and play tank for my Sentinel if you wanted to.

 

When I fold space, fulcrum shift, and dreadful wail, everything left wants to kill me badly enough, I don't need more aggro, but thanks. 😄 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

 

.........

 

I don't think taunting fits with the Sentinel archetype.

I don't think that Sentinels should have the advantage of being able to slot a taunt proc any more than a melee archetype should be able to slot a ranged AoE proc.

 

My two cents on it.

 

 

 

I agree that taunting doesn't necessarily fit Sentinels either.  On the other hand, I don't see a reason that they shouldn't be able to -IF- they wanted too.  Things can only be more fun and interesting if the options are there.  There is already Provoke and it's single target version in the same pool.  It's obviously there for people to grab if they desire.

 

If someone wanted to simulate Punchvoke with either procs that give taunt or, as I suggested in another thread, an Incarnate Interface that does something similar then why not?  It wouldn't effect you and your Sentinels, or Defenders, or Masterminds, or VEATs, etc.

 


Also, Fireball and Ball Lightning in melee epic pools say 'Hello'.  Melees certainly have the ability to get targeted range AOE powers, along with many ranged attacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I don’t see a solvable problem.  I see “I want more damage procs.”

 

nerp!

... what damage?

 

I'm suggesting taunt-procs. No damage involved. 250% Taunt on hit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

/signed as many times as possible

 

I have several stalkers that are effectively immortal and this would be amazing for them, same with my VEATs, Sentinels, and even blasters.

Nothing like attacking a group of enemies and having them decide to go on a marathon of the mission map, this would make these characters MUCH less annoying to play. This is one of my biggest issue with playing things not a scrapper, brute or tank. I would probably just make a single universal damage set, like overwhelming force.

Edited by Riot Siren
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 9:28 PM, Steampunkette said:

Sentinels are cool. You know what would be cooler?

 

Slotting a Taunt Proc IO (250% maybe?) into Fireball or Rain of Fire as a way to sort of make your Sentinel into an Off-tank.

 

I know the Presence Power Pool Taunt exists, but if a Tanker can put enough Proc IOs into Handclap to make it go from a PBAoE Stun to one of their highest DPA attack powers...

 

I think we could get a few Taunt-IO Uniques. It would also allow Widows, Soldiers, PBs, Warshades, Dominators, and Masterminds all pick up the mantle of "Off Tank" if they feel like they've got the slotting and survivability.

This is an awesome idea! Would fix so many issues for my VEAT chars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...