Focused Feedback: Travel Power Updates (Build 4)

Does it take away from anyone's experience to increase Nova/Dwarf's speed as well?

Or would that simply add another, balanced cosmetic option for travel?

Still, appreciate the work you guys do!

Guess I'll sit in a corner and accept defeat, though it really is sad my Nova will be so relatively slow...

These tests were done with each travel power slotted with 3 even level SOs of its main component (3 run, jump, fly, or range).

Swift has 1 Run and 1 Fly SO, Hurdle has 1 Jump SO, Stamina is 3 slotted. No end red in TP. No other global buffs.

This slotting puts Fly and SJ at their caps. SS is just under its cap at 118.72 mph (with lvl 50 IOs SS is also capped).

First test was in Nerva Archipelago from the Ferry in the south to the Tree Hugger badge in the far north. This is an almost entirely unobstructed, flat run.

Teleport took 33 seconds (for this test I turned on unslotted Temp Invuln, Unyielding, and Invincible. Endurance barely moved.)

SS took 60 seconds (SIDE NOTE: Momentum ring NEVER appeared on this entire journey though most of it was across flat water.)
SJ took 63 seconds
Fly took 68 seconds

Second test was in Dark Astoria, from the Talos gate to the Death's Head Supplicant badge in the northeast.

Teleport took 22 seconds. (for this test I turned on Temp Invuln, Unyielding, Invincible, SS, SJ, and Fly. Endurance dropped a little, but not much.)
Fly took 34 seconds.
SJ took 34 seconds.
SS took 50 seconds. (This is an average. I got stuck several times on objects on the ground or behind walls Momentum wouldn't get me over. I ran the test multiple times. The slowest run was over 70 seconds. The fastest was about 45. YMMV.)

Edited by Wavicle
  • Like 1

Gotta say, Dwarf teleport now really feels way too slow, in terms of animation time. Should be closer to Jaunt/Combat TP.

If the Dwarf inherits nothing more I would suggest At Least cutting the Dwarf Step animation time to match that of regular TP.

(and again, PB Dwarf still cannot move immediately after porting while WS Dwarf can, sorry if I'm getting repetitious)

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Gotta say, Dwarf teleport now really feels way too slow, in terms of animation time. Should be closer to Jaunt/Combat TP.

If the Dwarf inherits nothing more I would suggest At Least cutting the Dwarf Step animation time to match that of regular TP.

(and again, PB Dwarf still cannot move immediately after porting while WS Dwarf can, sorry if I'm getting repetitious)

It was stated on the Gold Standard Testers that it's more of how much work debugging the animation to do the small bit of change at this point, not 'just because'.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

These tests were done with each travel power slotted with 3 even level SOs of its main component (3 run, jump, fly, or range).

Swift has 1 Run and 1 Fly SO, Hurdle has 1 Jump SO, Stamina is 3 slotted. No end red in TP. No other global buffs.

This slotting puts Fly and SJ at their caps. SS is just under its cap at 118.72 mph (with lvl 50 IOs SS is also capped).

First test was in Nerva Archipelago from the Ferry in the south to the Tree Hugger badge in the far north. This is an almost entirely unobstructed, flat run.

Teleport took 33 seconds (for this test I turned on unslotted Temp Invuln, Unyielding, and Invincible. Endurance barely moved.)

SS took 60 seconds (SIDE NOTE: Momentum ring NEVER appeared on this entire journey though most of it was across flat water.)
SJ took 63 seconds
Fly took 68 seconds

I got 55s for SS in NA on that course

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

I must say it feels a little strange to see that the capped speed for flying, which is in my opinion the most versatile and convenient travel power in the game, to be higher than that of super jumping. 

I don't imagine it'll affect any of my travel power picks which are based on theme but I would have expected that the less convenient the travel power the faster base speed it might have.

Just now, summers said:

I must say it feels a little strange to see that the capped speed for flying, which is in my opinion the most versatile and convenient travel power in the game, to be higher than that of super jumping. 

I don't imagine it'll affect any of my travel power picks which are based on theme but I would have expected that the less convenient the travel power the faster base speed it might have.

The cap you refer to is only available 1/3 of the time, so on average you’re still slower. You just have an edge over short distances.

2 hours ago, Wavicle said:

I only ran it once. I moved to avoid geometry on a couple of occasions. One also might be able to get better times on the others as well, I'm sure.

I ran the course four times (one time each: Fly then SJ then SS then Tp) and got the same numbers as you on Fly and SJ, but 55 on SS and 38s on Tp. I did mentally plan my route for SS so I wouldn't need to jump at all though.

After two more runs each, my numbers stayed the same except for TP I had one run at 37s and two runs that I had to abort because the game TPed me into the trees despite me TPing above the trees (the camera TP seems to be TPing about 20 degrees below the center of the screen). For TP did you use 3 50s?

Edited by Zepp

55 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I meant once with SS.

how did you eat your bar with tp? What else were you running? Was stamina slotted?

3 even level SOs in the most recent tests.

I didn't slot Stamina. After slotting it, it went better.

I couldn't get 33s with Tp.

6 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Teleport took 22 seconds. (for this test I turned on Temp Invuln, Unyielding, Invincible, SS, SJ, and Fly. Endurance dropped a little, but not much.)

Fly took 34 seconds.
SJ took 34 seconds.
SS took 50 seconds. (This is an average. I got stuck several times on objects on the ground or behind walls Momentum wouldn't get me over. I ran the test multiple times. The slowest run was over 70 seconds. The fastest was about 45. YMMV.)

For Dark Astoria I took the North road for SS and got between 45 & 47s on four runs.

Fly & SJ 34s on four runs.
Tp 22-24s on four runs.

• Like 1

I didn't experience any of the "cursor at my own position" or "red cursor" tp bugs. Just the weirdness I reported earlier.

I definitely think TP is still susceptible to many "harsh conditions" including lag spikes, varying personal reflexes, machine speed, etc. But given how much faster it is than the others that seems ok.

Edited by Wavicle

11 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Dwarf and Nova both feel very slow now.

If it's an animation problem to reduce Dwarf cast time, perhaps increase range to make it equal to the pool power variant?

And is there a better reason to have Nova so slow besides 'Nova is for combat?'

Blaster too is for combat -- yet a blaster can fly faster, do more damage and use toggles.

Edited by Hartanna
  • Like 2

Just wanted to say a huge thanks for this update. I'm glad the travel powers got a good looks. It all sounds great to me being one of those fools who takes a travel power (or two) on every single toon. 

I started playing in 04 and remember how much of a rite of passage level 14 used to be for getting access to travel powers. This should do a lot to re-establish them as a key upgrade for characters.

Also, does anyone know what the defense bonus of stealth in combat now and after the update?

Looks like the bug where the costume stance would revert to normal upon zoning or logging on/off has been fixed.  I checked logging on/off, zoning, and changing builds and it seems to be working as designed.  Awesome job guys.

I think Infiltration is now my favorite travel power, but using the ninja run stance with Super Jump is a close second!

I know you guys are getting beat up on other strings, but little customization details like this go a long way towards making people happy and helping them fill out their vision of their character.  Being able to move a little faster, jump a little higher, be a little sneakier, while using less endurance is just an added performance bonus 🙂