Farming and marketing. Farmketing.

Yomo Kimyata

5 hours ago, Ukase said:

Time is a precious resource. I can accumulate funds. I cannot accumulate time. (I guess if I were in prison, I might, lol) So, we have to market within our limits. 

Step 1: commit crime

Step 2: go to jail

Step 3: ...

Step 4: Profit?

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

11 hours ago, Black_Assassin said:

Step 1: commit crime

Step 2: go to jail

Step 3: ...

Step 4: Profit?

There is a running joke for some prisoners. "I got 10 years!", as if they actually possess 10 years, like they have them in their pocket, or accumulated them. 

On 4/13/2021 at 12:50 AM, Ukase said:

Short rebuttal is - it would be incredibly foolish to use merits for a pvp recipe. Converters are cheap, if not free! Even if you sold 300 converters (what 100 reward merits would get you from the merit vendor) for 50k each, you'd still have 15M. You can easily buy 4 pvp recipes with that. At 70k, which is pretty much the going rate, you'll get 21M. 
Anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't like math, or doesn't know math, or perhaps they are just in a hurry and don't care to bid creep and wait a few minutes for a sale to go through. Love people like that, because that's more market for me. 

While I agree with the math, I think you are missing a big variable: Time. I just sold 5,000 reward merits worth of converters and it was a LOT of clicks and a lot of time. I usually don't mind clicking a lot, but this was enough that I got to thinking that the clicks weren't worth the extra influence I received. Oh... I'll probably keep swapping merits for converters and selling them for 70K even though I don't need the extra money, but I TOTALLY sympathize with anyone who decides to just buy PVP recipes instead. 

I like to think of it in terms of opportunity costs, either in terms of currency or in terms of time.  Five minutes spent something you enjoy beats the pants off something that exceeds your tolerance for tedium.  Tedolerance?  

Anyway, thanks in part to this discussion, I've abandoned my ideas of making a "Marketing Guide for Farmers" as a way to goose returns.  As for me, the five minutes I spend crafting drops, etc., could be five minutes spent goosing my returns elsewhere more efficiently.  Or maybe, *gasp*, getting offline and goosing my returns there. 

Heh heh heh, goosing.

Who run Bartertown?

10 hours ago, Troyusrex said:

While I agree with the math, I think you are missing a big variable: Time. I just sold 5,000 reward merits worth of converters and it was a LOT of clicks and a lot of time. I usually don't mind clicking a lot, but this was enough that I got to thinking that the clicks weren't worth the extra influence I received. Oh... I'll probably keep swapping merits for converters and selling them for 70K even though I don't need the extra money, but I TOTALLY sympathize with anyone who decides to just buy PVP recipes instead. 

While 15000 converters would be a lot to click and drag into the AH interface, that's a lot different than 30 sets of 10 for one pvp recipe. But, you did help me realize that if someone is inclined to slot one pvp IO, they're quite likely to slot 3 at least, which makes it 90 sets. So, yeah, I get it. 

The more inf we have, the less likely we're gonna take that time.

On 4/22/2021 at 7:04 PM, Troyusrex said:

While I agree with the math, I think you are missing a big variable: Time. I just sold 5,000 reward merits worth of converters and it was a LOT of clicks and a lot of time

Here's alternate math:

Converters: ~70k each on market, 3 per merit -> 3*70000*0.9 = 189,000 Inf per merit, 630,000 Inf per stack transaction (per number of clicks)

Boosters:  ~1100k each on market, 1 per 5 merits -> (1/5)*1100000*0.9 = 198,000 Inf per merit, 9,900,000 Inf per stack transaction.

Boosters are just as profitable and 15x easier to claim and sell. 

YMMV.

On 4/25/2021 at 10:53 AM, Andreah said:

Boosters are just as profitable and 15x easier to claim and sell. 

I agree, although they are a bit less liquid. So dumping a large number on the market can either tank the price or take a much longer time to sell than converters.