Travel Power Updates in Issue 27, Page 2

Jimmy

2 minutes ago, Andreah said:

I see in the notes that Infiltration offer Air Control, which Hover does. Is this something that can stack with the air control hover (presumably?) provides?

It just sounds like Infiltration works great with all the travel sets except fly, and I'm looking for an upside.

I believe Hover grants 100 movement control and movement friction, which is the max amount you can have. So nothing can add to it as you're already at the cap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

13 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I believe Hover grants 100 movement control and movement friction, which is the max amount you can have. So nothing can add to it as you're already at the cap.

I'll probably keep the power as a LotG mule, but may not use it, since stealth has more stealth radius than before, and that's more than enough for most situations.

Or I might trade it out for Grant Invisibility, which might situationally be more useful for a hover-er support character, and also can mule the LotG.

On 4/10/2021 at 7:52 PM, RMS33 said:

Could we boost stone brute/tanker movement, too.? Many posts where veterans claim that the stone set isn't that tough anymore. So the justification is largely gone for these ATs being so slow.

They did. In Beta Rooted no longer slows you unless you're also in Granite.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:40 PM, RMS33 said:

Two possibly simple fixes, first to raise the movement cap on Granite Armor to allow sprint, for example. Just enough to avoid a toggle cycle every combat. The second, to consolidate the set a bit by combining Granite and Rooted, then moving part of those bonuses to the other shields.

Or just don't use granite at all!

image.png.d1cceac898349c53fdd7e07795b4466f.png

This is on a moderate build, no incarnates, no granite. Which means now, zero speed/jump/travel penalty. 

With incarnates:

image.png.17b56fd3c44ddac609035e675231ce85.png

I am curious to update it using infiltrate.

So I don't know if this applies to this thread, but I noticed in the patch notes that the Rocket Board, Flying Carpet, and Void Skiff no longer suppress powers and now apply an Only Affect Self state.  I see this wasn't the case with the Coyote or Jaguar transformation travels, but I can understand why.  One thing I'd like to request in this regard however; would it be possible to adjust the XP Boosters from P2W to apply while Coyote/Jaguar are active?  With the other three (and Walk) getting Only Affect Self status, that means you won't lose out on boosted XP from turning in a story arc, finding a badge, or anything else granting XP, but that's not the case with the animal travels.  Would be a nice convenience for people who are going the druid route with their character ideas, especially since Coyote/Jaguar are naturally faster than Ninja/Beast/Athletic Run.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:06 PM, Jimmy said:

We've also removed level scaling from these powers, meaning their base and maximum speeds are now fixed (at the previous level 50 values) at all levels. However, you will still increase in speed as you level and gain more slots, more powerful enhancements and eventually set bonuses.

Kinda struggling to understand why this was done.

Not that it is a bad thing, travel powers being as fast as the current lvl 50 max. But..does it make any sense? How does a NEW super powered dude, just picknig up SS, have its speed at max (well the current unenhanced max)?

And how does gaining more slots boost their speed? Unless you mean gain more slots then USE them on said travel powers, with +speed enhancements?

Out of all my toons, here and on Live, I NEVER slotted any travel power for +speed (besides a couple of toons with fly and hover, because those have god awful speeds out of the box). A few other toons got incidental +speed, from set bonuses, but I never went out of my way to slot a straight +speed into a travel.

• City Council
3 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

Kinda struggling to understand why this was done.

Not that it is a bad thing, travel powers being as fast as the current lvl 50 max. But..does it make any sense? How does a NEW super powered dude, just picknig up SS, have its speed at max (well the current unenhanced max)?

And how does gaining more slots boost their speed? Unless you mean gain more slots then USE them on said travel powers, with +speed enhancements?

Out of all my toons, here and on Live, I NEVER slotted any travel power for +speed (besides a couple of toons with fly and hover, because those have god awful speeds out of the box). A few other toons got incidental +speed, from set bonuses, but I never went out of my way to slot a straight +speed into a travel.

A few reasons:

1. To make the lower level experience smoother (ie: allowing players to get places faster without having to resort to fast travel if they don't want to)
  2. To make exemplaring less painful
  3. To allow the real travel powers (specifically Fly) to be much more worthwhile to pick earlier on

As for your slotting preferences - that's certainly valid, and right now on live it's also usually the only valid option. Previously all of the travel powers could easily hit their speed caps with minimal slotting (or in the case of Fly, no slotting). Allowing speed enhancements to actually speed you up was one of the goals for this set of changes.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

11 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

As for your slotting preferences - that's certainly valid, and right now on live it's also usually the only valid option. Previously all of the travel powers could easily hit their speed caps with minimal slotting (or in the case of Fly, no slotting). Allowing speed enhancements to actually speed you up was one of the goals for this set of changes.

After Page 2 goes live (and there's been enough time for players to adjust), I will be very interested to see the numbers on how many players put more slots into travel powers than was done before Page 2 (assuming this is data that can be retrieved).  My prediction is that, at least at the higher end of gameplay, slotting will be so tight that there will be little to no change in travel power slotting.

• City Council
2 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

After Page 2 goes live (and there's been enough time for players to adjust), I will be very interested to see the numbers on how many players put more slots into travel powers than was done before Page 2 (assuming this is data that can be retrieved).  My prediction is that, at least at the higher end of gameplay, slotting will be so tight that there will be little to no change in travel power slotting.

That's certainly possible and is totally fine. There's other ways to get that speed, and the main point is allowing it to be accessed in the same way players can boost any other power - through enhancements. High-end builds are very specific about their needs, but that doesn't mean others won't enjoy the options!

• Thanks 5

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

I think you will see more 2 and 3 slotting of BotZ and the run/jump/fly sets with stealth.

Two Zephyrs will get you -KB and minor ranged + E/N defense.  Three adds minor AoE +F/C defense.

Two Celerity is Stealth and S/L resistance; three adds to MaxHP.

Two Unbounded Leap is Stealth and a boost to all travel speeds; three adds to MaxHP.

Two Freebird is Stealth and Regen; three adds adds to MaxHP again.

I think you will also see people adding boosters to those and generic run/jump/fly IOs.

On 4/11/2021 at 4:08 PM, Glacier Peak said:

For anyone interested in what different slotting can achieve in Infiltration, please see below. I also confirmed what @siolfir said, that Infiltration is affected by in combat travel suppression like Athletic/Ninja/Beast Run. My personal favorite slotting is 1 Level 53 HO (End/Run/Jump), 2 Level 50+5 IOs (Run & Jump). The highest running speed that can be achieved slotted in Infiltration is 45.64 MPH and the highest leaping speed that can be achieved slotted in Infiltration is 44.65 MPH. The highest jumping height that can be achieved slotted in Infiltration is 63.30 FT. It works well as a Defense based power, allowing slotting of defensive set IOs while providing concealment and modest travel speeds. It is an interesting power - the only thing I would want looked at in the future is allowing its use in conjunction with other stealth powers (similar to the way this issue modified travel powers working synergistically). 

I was testing stealth and infiltration yesterday and was surprised they were mutually exclusive.  I was think I would get the benefit of both.  It seems I am better off taking SS and stealth than Infiltration and Stealth, which seems odd to me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arisara said:

I don't care for the afterburner change of timed duration being half of its new cool down coming. I'd give up the extra speed it will have for 30 seconds to keep afterburner always on.

Afterburner is becoming a free popup power. Does this mean it will no longer be able to be enhanced with a Luck of the Gambler global recharge rate? Many of my builds are just on the edge of permanent clicks.. hasten.. boost range.. most of those builds are not going to be able to find another defensive power to squeeze in to accept the enhancement. Dang.. it's not broken.. don't fix it.

1 minute ago, Arisara said:

Afterburner is becoming a free popup power. Does this mean it will no longer be able to be enhanced with a Luck of the Gambler global recharge rate? Many of my builds are just on the edge of permanent clicks.. hasten.. boost range.. most of those builds are not going to be able to find another defensive power to squeeze in to accept the enhancement. Dang.. it's not broken.. don't fix it.

The replacement power evasive maneuvers still accepts luck of the gambler. 

8 minutes ago, Arisara said:

I don't care for the afterburner change of timed duration being half of its new cool down coming. I'd give up the extra speed it will have for 30 seconds to keep afterburner always on.

You now have what was after burner speed all the time with just fly. The new afterburner kicks you up even faster than that. It’s a buff not a nerf.

1 minute ago, Andreah said:

Has there been any further thought to whether the Kheldian travel powers are being left behind?

They aren’t Completely being left behind. They still get level scaling removed, and Dwarf step gets 15 seconds Hover and movement cancels the Hover, but other than that... yes. OTOH we already have free travel powers, so I think it’ll be ok.

8 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

They aren’t Completely being left behind. They still get level scaling removed, and Dwarf step gets 15 seconds Hover and movement cancels the Hover, but other than that... yes. OTOH we already have free travel powers, so I think it’ll be ok.

We may have free travel powers, but our flight travel power is already being buffed to pool power flight speed.

Since we're already getting our normal flight buffed, what's the harm in allowing us the same freedom as a Nova?

Edited by Hartanna
  • Like 1