Travel Power Updates in Issue 27, Page 2

Jimmy

I'm just immensely sad by the fact that prestige runs are getting more expensive on your endurance bar. Ninja Run was already very expensive as it is (though I like to keep it on during battle anyway on the characters I have who take it, because the animations), but to get even more expensive just to match the, I guess magick carpet/void skiff, because the three stance run powers were identical, feels, uh. It makes me sad.

Prestige runs are not prestige flights, and flying should be more expensive than running/jumping because it has no verticality limit.

• City Council
10 hours ago, Andreah said:

Has there been any further thought to whether the Kheldian travel powers are being left behind?

10 hours ago, Hartanna said:

Since we're already getting our normal flight buffed, what's the harm in allowing us the same freedom as a Nova?

The actual travel powers (Energy Flight and Shadow Step) haven't been left behind, they've been buffed the same way as the standard travel powers. The forms however aren't so simple.

Nova is a much more complicated proposition because it's unsuppressed speed, unlike every other version of Fly. I do want to take a look at figuring out a solution in the future, but it's not as simple as changing a number.

Dwarf teleport is also an odd one. If we were starting from scratch it would probably make sense for their teleport to be closer to Combat Teleport than normal Teleport, but that ship sailed a long time ago. Currently no plans to look at this one further right now.

• Like 5

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

14 hours ago, Wavicle said:

You now have what was after burner speed all the time with just fly. The new afterburner kicks you up even faster than that. It’s a buff not a nerf.

Thanks for the information about evasive maneuvers replacement power still being able to accept enhancements. That is a relief. Related to buff vs. nerf; I had not thought of the change being either. The speed is buffed; the duration is nerfed. More speed for less duration is what I mentioned not preferring. I would give up the increased speed to keep afterburner always on. I've tested and calculated a flight from the north wall of Independence Port to the door of the magic store there (2.77 miles away). The character used has a flight speed of 58.63 mph (0.0162 miles per second) and an afterburner speed of 71.63 mph (0.0198 mps). With afterburner on for the entire flight 140 seconds passed to cross 2.77 miles (0.0198*140=2.772). Changes indicate afterburner speed will climb up to 102.27mph (0.0284mps). Then the character used for the test of current flight speeds would cover the distance in 128 seconds (30 seconds of 0.0284mps for 0.852 miles, 30 seconds of normal flight speed of 0.0162mps for 0.486 miles, another 30 seconds of afterburner for another 0.852 miles, again down to normal flight for 30 seconds and another 0.486 miles then finally another afterburner burst for 8 seconds to cover the remaining distance to the destination). This assumes the character has the maximum speed buff from the new change.. which it won't; it doesn't have the maximum speed buff now (which doesn't matter as long as all results are figured from a same scale). The 12 second difference result is tainted by using the maximum buff of the coming change instead of what the speed will actually be on the character. I could figure this out exactly now but the time to calculate isn't in my desire and I'm confident in my ability to estimate number results. I will wait to see combat attributes in game after the changes. After the change to afterburner that 12 second difference will dissolve, I will be left with covering the same distance in the same time and wishing afterburner were left alone in the first place. Such is the way, though, in all things. Not everyone will be pleased all of the time. I will accept the change for having to and enjoy the game just as well.. occasionally fuming when afterburner expires and my character lumbers along for 30 seconds until the power may again be activated.

• City Council
22 minutes ago, Arisara said:

Thanks for the information about evasive maneuvers replacement power still being able to accept enhancements. That is a relief. Related to buff vs. nerf; I had not thought of the change being either. The speed is buffed; the duration is nerfed. More speed for less duration is what I mentioned not preferring. I would give up the increased speed to keep afterburner always on. I've tested and calculated a flight from the north wall of Independence Port to the door of the magic store there (2.77 miles away). The character used has a flight speed of 58.63 mph (0.0162 miles per second) and an afterburner speed of 71.63 mph (0.0198 mps). With afterburner on for the entire flight 140 seconds passed to cross 2.77 miles (0.0198*140=2.772). Changes indicate afterburner speed will climb up to 102.27mph (0.0284mps). Then the character used for the test of current flight speeds would cover the distance in 128 seconds (30 seconds of 0.0284mps for 0.852 miles, 30 seconds of normal flight speed of 0.0162mps for 0.486 miles, another 30 seconds of afterburner for another 0.852 miles, again down to normal flight for 30 seconds and another 0.486 miles then finally another afterburner burst for 8 seconds to cover the remaining distance to the destination). This assumes the character has the maximum speed buff from the new change.. which it won't; it doesn't have the maximum speed buff now (which doesn't matter as long as all results are figured from a same scale). The 12 second difference result is tainted by using the maximum buff of the coming change instead of what the speed will actually be on the character. I could figure this out exactly now but the time to calculate isn't in my desire and I'm confident in my ability to estimate number results. I will wait to see combat attributes in game after the changes. After the change to afterburner that 12 second difference will dissolve, I will be left with covering the same distance in the same time and wishing afterburner were left alone in the first place. Such is the way, though, in all things. Not everyone will be pleased all of the time. I will accept the change for having to and enjoy the game just as well.. occasionally fuming when afterburner expires and my character lumbers along for 30 seconds until the power may again be activated.

I'm a little confused by your post - this may clarify things:

• Fly (on its own) now has a maximum speed of 87.9mph, without needing any other power active, instead of the 58.6mph cap it has now
    • You can reach this speed through one of more methods (slotting Fly, collecting set bonuses, or with speed buffs from other powers - including Swift and Evasive Maneuvers)
  • The new Afterburner is an extra, short boost of speed
    • If you ignore it entirely you'll still be at the same speed you are now (or potentially faster, depending on your slotting)
    • If you use it, you'll be even faster
  • The speed difference between new Fly and new Afterburner is much smaller than the difference between old Fly and old Afterburner (14% instead of 33%), meaning the drop off is much less significant
  • Like 3

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Nova is a much more complicated proposition because it's unsuppressed speed, unlike every other version of Fly. I do want to take a look at figuring out a solution in the future, but it's not as simple as changing a number.

This is a much more bearable response than leaving them slow as a design choice. Thanks you!

2 hours ago, Arisara said:

30 seconds of normal flight speed of 0.0162mps for 0.486 miles, another 30 seconds of afterburner for another 0.852 miles, again down to normal flight for 30 seconds and another 0.486 miles then finally another afterburner burst for 8 seconds to cover the remaining distance to the destination).

The part you're missing is that the "normal" flight speed will be faster than 58.63 mph (0.0162 mps); it will vary based on slotting but will likely be closer to your (current) afterburner speed of 71.63 mph (0.0198 mph).

Fly no longer limits you to 58.63 when Afterburner is not active, and after several sets of patches there should be no instances of slotting that have you going slower than you did before, even without ever using the new Afterburner tray toggle.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, siolfir said:

The part you're missing is that the "normal" flight speed will be faster than 58.63 mph (0.0162 mps); it will vary based on slotting but will likely be closer to your (current) afterburner speed of 71.63 mph (0.0198 mph).

Fly no longer limits you to 58.63 when Afterburner is not active, and after several sets of patches there should be no instances of slotting that have you going slower than you did before, even without ever using the new Afterburner tray toggle.

I did miss normal flight speed will be faster for the description on page 1 under Fly reading "speed cap boost" instead of "speed". I understood speed cap to mean speed cap (the maximum the value could be; not any current value lower than what I understand cap to mean). You mentioning here my new Fly speed will be closer to my old Afterburner speed was the enlightenment. I had to go back to page 1 and find where you read this. I located the detail under Evasive Maneuvers. There, under a power that is not Fly is stated that the old Afterburner speed boost will be built into Fly. I made error expecting to read information about Fly that was not under the Fly heading. Had there been no Evasive Maneuvers I would never have found its description of Fly. .. And thank you; I very well may have never looked for information in the wrong place had you not responded so. 

1 hour ago, Arisara said:

I did miss normal flight speed will be faster for the description on page 1 under Fly reading "speed cap boost" instead of "speed". I understood speed cap to mean speed cap (the maximum the value could be; not any current value lower than what I understand cap to mean). You mentioning here my new Fly speed will be closer to my old Afterburner speed was the enlightenment. I had to go back to page 1 and find where you read this. I located the detail under Evasive Maneuvers. There, under a power that is not Fly is stated that the old Afterburner speed boost will be built into Fly. I made error expecting to read information about Fly that was not under the Fly heading. Had there been no Evasive Maneuvers I would never have found its description of Fly. .. And thank you; I very well may have never looked for information in the wrong place had you not responded so. 

This might help you see how the Live vs. Page 2 compare. 

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

If you're going to make Ninja Run more of a drain on our endurance bars, please consider giving it a default slot and allowing it to take only non-set Endurance Reduction enhancements. That way it stays the same speed (cannot accept speed enhancements), and does not add power to a character (can't take set bonuses), but we can still use its default slot to ease up on our recovery/toggle ratio.

Or at least, allowing Infiltration to have a 'No Fade' customization option, which would give the desired results when combined with inherent stance customization.

My other (slightly unrelated) suggestion is to include Infiltration and Stealth in the whole 'doesn't turn each other off, but also doesn't stack' thing. I don't like to turn my travel powers off while fighting, because even under combat travel suppression, you're still a little more mobile than you are without them, and it can be great for jump-casting a power and letting your momentum carry you to a different enemy.

Edited by SiliconAria
  • Like 1

Dwarf Step TP used to not root you in place before you teleport, and give you a temp buff that gave you very slight hover both before and after you teleport, in essence giving you a bit of manuerability when you 'port, since you could still move about in both cases, while the regular teleport would root you in place. Now in functions exactly the same as a regular teleport, it now roots you in place and doesn't give you hover.

I assume, that's an intended change, but a one that makes it feel even less manuerable, than before.

Did I say 'root' enough? Root, root, root.
Also, probably a bit late to complain about it, since the patched released, but I will anyway.

1 hour ago, Subber said:

Dwarf Step TP used to not root you in place before you teleport, and give you a temp buff that gave you very slight hover both before and after you teleport, in essence giving you a bit of manuerability when you 'port, since you could still move about in both cases, while the regular teleport would root you in place. Now in functions exactly the same as a regular teleport, it now roots you in place and doesn't give you hover.

I assume, that's an intended change, but a one that makes it feel even less manuerable, than before.

Did I say 'root' enough? Root, root, root.
Also, probably a bit late to complain about it, since the patched released, but I will anyway.

Dwarf step still gives you hover. I just tested it yesterday 15 seconds hover. If you move you lose the hover effect though. That is by design. So that you can move right away. Try doing it without moving and you’ll see.

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

Dwarf step still gives you hover. I just tested it yesterday 15 seconds hover. If you move you lose the hover effect though. That is by design. So that you can move right away. Try doing it without moving and you’ll see.

Yeah, but the thing is, you COULD move right away. You could move right after casting, but before actual teleport, too. Now, you're rooted in place before actual teleport takes place and you no longer have a hover in which you can actually move.

4 minutes ago, Subber said:

Yeah, but the thing is, you COULD move right away. You could move right after casting, but before actual teleport, too. Now, you're rooted in place before actual teleport takes place and you no longer have a hover in which you can actually move.

You DO have the hover if you STOP moving. You hover for up to 15 seconds.

5 hours ago, Wavicle said:

You DO have the hover if you STOP moving. You hover for up to 15 seconds.

I think they're talking about how the "end Hover" for Teleport used to allow very minor movement control, something like 2 feet of distance, before the effect ended. That's been taken away and replaced with a stationary, but longer, Hover that breaks as soon as you move. Personally I prefer the later to the former as that very minuscule amount of movement in the old version had almost no purpose other than to slow you down when you finally got to your end destination.

Though they're also saying you used to be able to move around at the start of the Dwarf teleport animation, which I don't recall personally. I don't use Dwarf on my Warshades long-term, and even when I did have it, I almost never teleported with them to know if you could actually move around before the Teleport animation completed.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

flight_combatflight.png.c5103d219b0511d0703390a1030c9f32.png Hover

• Added new "No Pose" customization themes that allows you to remove the Hover stance
    • Note that the Hover stance has a higher priority than the default fly stance, meaning if Hover is active it will always apply even if other flight powers are also active, unless it's been disabled in power customization.

That note kinda irk's me a tad since there's now no middle ground between hover-pose 24/7 (which looks really dumb with the new speed caps in play), fly-pose during hover 24/7 (which drives me squirrely for reasons that date back to when I started playing on live way back when) ...a third option of a completely ridiculous bind/macro that turns hover off when fly comes on n'viceversa is also a way to go (just like how it kinda was before and things where fine x.x) 

Can the pose-priority not be adjusted so Fly is top-priority or a no-hover option for fly so it takes priority when active? This seems like a minor gripe...but the majority of my alts are fliers and this is enough to make me not wanna play after just poking around with 1 alt to see the changes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Godchild said:

That note kinda irk's me a tad since there's now no middle ground between hover-pose 24/7 (which looks really dumb with the new speed caps in play), fly-pose during hover 24/7 (which drives me squirrely for reasons that date back to when I started playing on live way back when) ...a third option of a completely ridiculous bind/macro that turns hover off when fly comes on n'viceversa is also a way to go (just like how it kinda was before and things where fine x.x) 

Can the pose-priority not be adjusted so Fly is top-priority or a no-hover option for fly so it takes priority when active? This seems like a minor gripe...but the majority of my alts are fliers and this is enough to make me not wanna play after just poking around with 1 alt to see the changes.

The current setup was the fix for the Hover animation being on all the time. 

I wouldn't loose any sleep over them reverting fly n'hover to being mutually exclusive as it was before, n'keeping the no-pose hover option till they figure out how to address the priority order. If its about the +air control part: they handed that out with fly getting afterburner free as well as evasive maneuvers as a toggle option...you're not hurting for air control while flying. If anything, it makes flying feel extremely jerky and unnaturally responsive like when I get hit with inertial reduction occasionally or forgot to turn afterburner off.

Too much air control actually becomes kinda immersion-breaking when there's 0 drift and you have 100% pinpoint control. You don't feel like you're flying so much as instantly propelling yourself in a direction n'stopping/turning with no regards to momentum in the slightest, its actually kinda jarring in-game when you're muscle memory's use to the natural fly-drift.

Edited by The Godchild
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later
On 4/23/2021 at 8:48 AM, The Godchild said:

I wouldn't loose any sleep over them reverting fly n'hover to being mutually exclusive as it was before, n'keeping the no-pose hover option till they figure out how to address the priority order. If its about the +air control part: they handed that out with fly getting afterburner free as well as evasive maneuvers as a toggle option...you're not hurting for air control while flying. If anything, it makes flying feel extremely jerky and unnaturally responsive like when I get hit with inertial reduction occasionally or forgot to turn afterburner off.

Too much air control actually becomes kinda immersion-breaking when there's 0 drift and you have 100% pinpoint control. You don't feel like you're flying so much as instantly propelling yourself in a direction n'stopping/turning with no regards to momentum in the slightest, its actually kinda jarring in-game when you're muscle memory's use to the natural fly-drift.

To be fair the main reason i dont use fly is because of the drift, i could never get used to it.

On 4/10/2021 at 7:54 PM, Jimmy said:

Feel free to discuss them here 🙂

In a future issue, would it maybe be possible to get the changes to stances proliferated to path auras?

IE, making it so that they only appear when you have a travel power toggled on?

• Like 3

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

• 2 weeks later

After having played with it and the other modified travel powers for a while now, I have two suggestions for Infiltration:

1. Like Super Speed, Infiltration's stealth component should be allowed to stack with other concealment abilities.

2. Infiltration's Running and Jumping components should be made equal so neither is faster than the other.

• Like 2