Let's see your gaming set up

Jawbreaker

9 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Great part selection! That's a monster size case.

Thanks.  Actually smaller than my old case (antec 900). It does have lots of room. Couldn't really afford bumping up to 64gb or more of ram, amd I'm not all that into the rgb .

I will say , it is fast. Extremely fast. Wish I could have gotten a better graphics card, but I wasn't about to drop $1k+ on a card that should only cost $400-$500.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xandyr said:

Just built a new one. My last one was 11 years old, so I thought it was time.

Case Corsair 4000D

EVGA Supernova 650watt 80+gold power supply

Intel i9-10850k

Corsair Vengeance 32 gb ram

Asus prime z490 mobo

Asus Tuf gtx1650oc grfx card

Corsair h100 water cooler

WD Black 1tb m.2 ssd

Very nice.  Similar to what I've been dreaming about putting together lately:   https://newegg.io/a3127797   (click the arrow on the right to expand my build)

Edited to add easier to read 'wish list' view:  https://secure.newegg.com/wishlist/sd/tFJNfuKi___0W27IawZXbpLw==

I have had very good performance and reliability with ASUS, Corsair and WD on my current and past rigs so I tend to use them often.

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

You should see my Cooler Master HAF Tower.  It's the size of a suitcase.  lol

Edited by KauaiJim

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

3 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

This is the X9.  Too bad it's nigh-ungettable anymore.

spacer.png

If you want a BIG case with lots of room for drives and other stuff, the Fractal Design Define 7 and Meshify are big beasts.

Their XL-version big brothers are just redonkulous.

This was going to be my backup choice if I couldn't land another of my original.

spacer.png

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Like 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

8 hours ago, Panthonca7034 said:

still unable to quite succeed in loading the CoH Client,

Works brilliantly for me with Fedora 33 Workstation using Lutris (following the instructions on the forum).

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 4/17/2021 at 1:42 PM, Orist217 said:

Just finished this set up last weekend. Still getting used to the monitor lol

175035070_263552852155583_2627189484430977058_n.jpg

Other than a bit of cable management, and finding something to lift the box off the floor (I've had to deal at work with too many computers damaged by unexpected water breaks), this is my desire for a setup.  Nice!

Edited by Techwright

On 4/18/2021 at 3:50 AM, Hyperstrike said:

If you want a BIG case with lots of room for drives and other stuff, the Fractal Design Define 7 and Meshify are big beasts.

Their XL-version big brothers are just redonkulous.

I have the Meshify and it's not huge.  It's smaller than my last case, which was an Antec 900.  I think the Meshify looks nicer and has better cable management.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

I have the Meshify and it's not huge.  It's smaller than my last case, which was an Antec 900.  I think the Meshify looks nicer and has better cable management.

Compared to some of the cases coming out, especially with the advent of "No spinning rust" systems, the Meshify2/Define 7 are big and roomy.
The Meshify 2 XL and the Define 7 XL are positively monstrous.

Then there's my Core X9.
It's the size of a compact dishwasher.
I could, quite literally, put 3600mm of radiator into the thing and still have space for everything else.
And since I currently have TWO of the cases, I could go absolutely insane...  7200mm of rad?

I'd probably have to run them in at least 2 loops, and possibly 3 so as not to burn out the pumps or slow the flow down to near uselessness.

Got two computer setups in my library/game room.    Setup one has a 55" Sony X90J 4k 120hz display we recently got as a replacement for the 55" Samsung KS8500 that used to sit there.  The Samsung's backlight said goodbye, so, new game rig screen time.      The gaming rig has an i9 10900k, 32gb Viper Patriot RAM @ 4000mhz, an AMD 6800xt GPU, a 512gb m.2 NVME boot drive and a 4tb m.2 NVME game drive, with a 10tb WD Black external drive attached behind it for the digital library's front-end.

The gaming rig's keyboard is a HyperX Alloy Elite 2 paired with a Red Dragon m908 gaming mouse, a chest ottoman and the ugliest cozychair in existence so the spouse and I can, at our leisure and game like the 40 year old kids we are.   There's a spiffy Xbox controller on the ratty old Ikea cornerdesk as well, and it's a PowerA brand with reprogrammable keys and four extra rear triggerkeys for doing whatever with.

Then there's the workstation and the work laptop strung together through a 4x2 KVM.   A Razer keyboard and gaming mouse are hooked up to it.

The work craptop is a piece of work-issued drek that sits in the cubby and gets used for work emails and skype meetings, but the main tower has an  R9 3950x cpu, an nVidia 1080ti and 128gb RAM @ 3200mhz in it.    The dual monitors are both 32" AOC 75hz 1440p displays that do a great job of offering lots of screen real estate for dem werkin' times as well as for gaming purposes when both the spouse and I want to faff about with PC shenanigans.

The workstation has a 1tb m.2 NVME boot drive and a 10gb ethernet connection to the household NAS, which has four 8tb WD Red drives in it.   Most of the work I do from home gets done either through the work-issued craptop or on the workstation, and the gaming rig with the giant TV for a display is used almost exclusively for gaming and other forms of faffing about on the internet, writing and watching stuff when me or my spouse is hogging the living room TV.

The case for the gaming rig is a Corsair Carbide 540 Air case that's all double-wide and allows for both a 360mm AIO radiator for the CPU as well as a 280mm radiator for the eventual GPU watercooling project we're going to embark upon.

The workstation's case is some ten year old thing we had lying around that works just fine. It's white and is a full tower ATX, offers easy cable management and its white.   Did I mention it's white? My spouse feels that this is very important.

Oh. The headset for the gaming rig is a Razer Kraken 7.1 v.2, and it's alright.  Not what I prefer to use for listening to music, though it does ok for music in a pinch.

Both the gaming rig and the workstation otherwise run sound through a pair of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setups that we bought years ago.   Pretty great gaming rig speakers.   I've been through many 2.1 setups and I've never ever found one that was even half as good as this anywhere near the absurdly low price range.

I highly recommend these speakers if you're looking to upgrade from a crappy soundbar solution.

Two.jpg

One.jpg

Edited by Uruare
Didn't like the picture of the gaming rig.
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 3:50 AM, Hyperstrike said:

spacer.png

I forgot to ask what Atlantean component this was when you posted it. 😛

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

My 5 year old and I generally play side-by-side.  I get the Ryzen 5600x and GTX 1660 Ti and he gets the 2600 and 1050 Ti. Occasionally a laptop or two makes an appearance when my wife or daughter joins us.

20210424_193003.jpg

20210424_193144.jpg

On 4/18/2021 at 12:50 AM, Hyperstrike said:

This is the X9.  Too bad it's nigh-ungettable anymore.

spacer.png

Hyper - who is that in the pic?  If that is you, you look amazing similar to an old friend I had back when I was in the software business.  His first name is Leeroy (not Jenkins lol) and his folks won a few million on the CA lotto a few years back.  Haven't seen him since he 'retired', lol.  

On 4/17/2021 at 10:42 AM, Orist217 said:

Just finished this set up last weekend. Still getting used to the monitor lol

175035070_263552852155583_2627189484430977058_n.jpg

Orist217, very nice!  I think I recognize the case (and it's one I like) but I'm curious about the desk of all things.  Mind if I ask where you got it?

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

I forgot to ask what Atlantean component this was when you posted it. 😛

This is the Fractal Define 7 XL.
It shares a chassis with the Fractal Meshify 2 XL.
Big old beast of a case.
The bright blue is just an illustration of how many 3.5" drives it can hold.

10 minutes ago, KauaiJim said:

Hyper - who is that in the pic?  If that is you, you look amazing similar to an old friend I had back when I was in the software business.  His first name is Leeroy (not Jenkins lol) and his folks won a few million on the CA lotto a few years back.  Haven't seen him since he 'retired', lol.  

Orist217, very nice!  I think I recognize the case (and it's one I like) but I'm curious about the desk of all things.  Mind if I ask where you got it?

The guy in the pic isn't me.  He's some YouTube reviewer.  Watched his vid years ago when I bought my first X9.

And I think I'm probably going to be moving away from the table (eventually) to a BIG sit-stand desk.  The problem is that the table setup encourages me to hunch and I'm starting to develop back pain.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

The guy in the pic isn't me.  He's some YouTube reviewer.  Watched his vid years ago when I bought my first X9.

And I think I'm probably going to be moving away from the table (eventually) to a BIG sit-stand desk.  The problem is that the table setup encourages me to hunch and I'm starting to develop back pain.

We had those for certain folks when I was in software.  They could be easily changed from standing use to sitting use.  Hunching over definitely takes it's toll on the back.  Thanks for replying.  If by some unbelievable coincidence it turned out you actually were Leeroy, I was going to ask to 'borrow' some money (as a joke, lol)...

22 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Compared to some of the cases coming out, especially with the advent of "No spinning rust" systems, the Meshify2/Define 7 are big and roomy.
The Meshify 2 XL and the Define 7 XL are positively monstrous.

Fair point.  I don't have any spinning rust but went with this case to accommodate a large graphics card and an oversized HSF.

I have a 500GB NVMe SSD for everything BUT games and a 2TB SATA SSD for my games.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

8 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Fair point.  I don't have any spinning rust but went with this case to accommodate a large graphics card and an oversized HSF.

I have a 500GB NVMe SSD for everything BUT games and a 2TB SATA SSD for my games.

The only reason I'm going with spinning rust is that a 20TB RAID 10 array in SSD is still just too cost prohibitive.
16TB in RAID 10 would run roughly $3600.
The 20TB array is going to run 1/3rd that.  And that's using enterprise-class drives.

Edited by Hyperstrike