How do you target enemies?

KaizenSoze

Is it old school to see "How do you target enemies?" and think, just select the tank silly?

Actual and possible worse answer:

L3 = Nearest target

R3 = Next Target

PS2.JPG.a2a346b35c754d9628b55329535df9fe.JPG

This also contributes to popup tray = horrible horrible idea

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

in PVE I typically TAB target, however depending on the villain group I'm facing or the content I'm doing I'll edit a couple of my 8 targeting macros (that I use for PvP arena) to target aparticular mob, ie. quantum ****, or mito, or immunes sur, etc. In PvP I edit each of my targeting macros, so I can target whoever I need to for a coordinated spike with 1 click.

That way I can be on target all the time especially when dealing with priority mobs.

Snarky (a.k.a. num2).. 3.. 2.. 1.. fire!

there's alot of sass in there to unpack 🙂

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'm usually madly slamming my hands and forehead into my keyboard until what I want to happen happens:

(27) Angry German Kid (original) - YouTube

Sometimes when I calm down I use tab targeting or mouse click.  lol

• Haha 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Well @KaizenSoze it looks like you got some good binds to check out. 🙂 As far as me goes though, as I team up with a fairly antisocial friend of mine who I've known for years (hense why we team often) who sometimes plays his Peacebringer, I have expanded my keybind into this...

TAB "target_enemy_near$$targetcustomnext quantum$$targetcustomnext dwarf$$targetcustomnext nova$$targetcustomnext void$$targetcustomnext cyst$$follow"

This bind will search out the nearest threat and I will follow him/her/it and pound it silly until it cries cookies! lol And if there are no such Peacebringer enemy's in the mob, it just targets the nearest bad guy and off I go. The only downside to this bind is that IF there is a Peacebringer bad guy laying on the floor after I have pounded him into the dirt, it STILL targets him until he is dissapears (I mean TP's off to the Zig).

So I have this question... @tidge, I noticed that you put "alive" in your list of keybinds (even though you didn't post your specific keybinds); is this a actual line command that can be used within a targeting bind to differentiate between living targets and dead ones? If so where should I put it in the keybind I listed above? Thanks...

Anywho, I hope all the advice helps you out @KaizenSoze and answers your question. Please let us know how it turns out if it did... "Quickly" (there @Xenosone, I used it... that good? 😋)...

Peace...

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (2pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

27 minutes ago, BjorJlen said:

So I have this question... @tidge, I noticed that you put "alive" in your list of keybinds (even though you didn't post your specific keybinds); is this a actual line command that can be used within a targeting bind to differentiate between living targets and dead ones? If so where should I put it in the keybind I listed above? Thanks...

I use the following:

/bind n target_custom_near enemy alive

I suspect that 'alive' is not necessary, but there you go.

Edited by tidge
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, tidge said:

I use the following:

/bind n target_custom_near enemy alive

I suspect that 'alive' is not necessary, but there you go.

Thanks for the input @tidge. I am not sure, but I adjusted my bind with what you wrote and it works. However to see if it does what I hope it does, I'll have to encounter a quantum at the very least. Soon maybe... Thanks again though for the help...!

Peace...

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (2pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

Like most in this thread I bound a key to target nearest foe only I (re)bound it to r rather than tab.  Started with a Claws/SR scrapper so it became 'r' then 'f' for nearest follow and then  attack.  Tab stayed tab and I'll use it to rapidly scan the spawn(s) ahead for surprises.  I also use custom target keys and macros as well for specific annoying or dangerous foes.

Just be careful where you rebind things.  I had some ... fun when I rebound autorun to p then suggested in chat about trying to 'pull' some Pumicites.  Damn SR scrappers can move 😜

Creating a target enemy near button is always the very first thing I do with a new toon (well, that and check the costu8me to make sure it came out like I expected).  I don't play melee too often, so tabbing usually does me well enough; occasionally I will click on a target.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Since a few things occasionally "janky" when starting a new character, and the Defaults don't always load properly (*stares deeply in to the soul of Chat Tabs especially*) I have this little string of commands as the first thing I do with any new character.

/showbind lctrl+lshift$$wdwloadfile 2021-03-27.wdw$$bindloadfile 2021-03-27.bind$$optionloadfile 2021-03-27.opt$$chatloadfile 2021-03-27.chat

I also use this string whenever I do a major update to any of my settings, swapping "load" for "save" and putting in a new date.  I then use the load string on any existing characters the next time I log in to them.

(The LCTRL+LSHIFT thing is where I put my characters' signature idle emote, which is generally different for each of them.  Since using the load command resets all my binds and I have over 200 characters now, I need to check which emote I had as a character's signature, and recreate the bind.  Which means the default for LCTRL+LSHIFT is "beginchat /bind LCTRL+LSHIFT e ")