How many Respecs do you use to get the build just right?

FullEclipse

Just curious how many respecs on average do you use to make your toon just the way you want it?  There are so many ways to get repecs now that it doesn't really matter if you have need of one. I use to use mids hero designer so that I wouldn't burn through them as there was a time when they were limited or you had to run taskforces to get like one more.  But now i find it might take me 3 or four respects to get my toons right where i want them to be. 

Usually just one.  Occasionally, two.  If it takes more than two, that probably means the power set(s) don't work for me and it's time to move on.

The above is with the caveat that I am not an excessive min-maxer.  I do consider efficiency, but it's a secondary concern compared to concept/them and what I feel will be fun to play.

• Like 1

*embarrassed look*.... OK you got me.  It's usually around 10-15.  But of those, 2/3 involve changing 1 thing, then doing a 2nd to change it back.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Haha 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Zero. Sometimes one.

*edit: Not counting the forced VEAT respec, but I don't play many VEATs. I level my characters "organically," I don't tend to plan them, and unless something's particularly bothering me, I consider their power choices part of their story. I'll also use secondary builds, depending on if they need it for whatever reason .

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Pretty rare to use any at all since I usually work out my builds ahead of time. I think the most I've used on a single character since HC launch is two.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

I generally plan two respecs: One at 27 when I start slotting enhancements that will go up to 50 in every power, then at 50 to get purples in. I also allow for a respec at level 12, when I stop relying on boosters and slot enhancements, if I didn't look at my build leveling up at some point up till then and made a mistake that can't be fixed. I'm usually willing to grit out mistakes I made until one of those natural respec points comes along.

Back in the before times, I think I rebuilt my peacebringer 5-6 times before finally coming up with something I was satisfied with. Most characters weren't that hard.

Edited by Placta

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

Well, if we're rounding to the nearest integer - then zero.  I respecced my main character exactly once.  Most of my characters never do a respec.  I would estimate that I respec about 1 out of 4 characters at some point.

The most recent respec I did was due to the devs changing powers around - I had a character with Recall Friend AND Teleport Enemy, which were combined into one power.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

It depends on what type of character I'm playing.

If I'm familiar with the AT and one or both of the power sets, I'll play it organically to 50, then respec if needed.  Some powers will go from 6 to 5 slots.  And sometimes I'll keep respeccing if I'm trying to get the theme just right with power pools and/or epic pools. 

If I'm trying something new, or maybe I'm trying a challenge, I'll respec early and often.  Like you say, respecs are easy and plentiful.  So I may pick up a power like combat jumping at 4 just to mule the Shield Wall proc and respec out of it later when I have a different spot.  I'll try out powers and if I don't like them and don't see a future for them, then out they go.

So at least once.  And I think a few of my 50s are at 5+ to get things just right.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

I am another in the 'seldom respec' camp.  A lot of the functions that used to be met only by respecs are now served by unslotters; I often decide that some other power would be served by the ATOs, which I tend to get fairly early.  I also use unslotters to retrieve random set IOs that were slotted because they were lying around and available at low levels.   Generally the less familiar I am with an AT the likelier I am to use a respec.  But the chief cause of respecs is when the underlying powers change.  I had to respec my electric/electric blaster when her sustain power was moved to something I had not bothered taking.  (Have barely logged on to that character since.)  If fly becomes competitive I may switch the travel power of several characters to it. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I always respec at level 50. Always a big difference for me between the ‘levelling’ build and the end-game build. 

My 3-4 ‘mains’ sometimes get a respec or two after that too. Customarily I’ll look at their build again in Mids with fresh eyes every few months (even if I’m happy with it) and alway - always - find ways to improve it. It’s just the benefit of experience I suppose. 

If it's my first time playing a powerset, I will usually level taking all the powers (unless there's a power that's widely regarded in the forums as clearly bad). Then I respec in the late 30s or early 40s to drop powers I find I'm not using.

I usually respec when a character hits 50 or soon after. Usually I've slotted a bunch of yellow IOs while leveling, and many of those won't end up in the final build. Even if I don't want to move slots around, respeccing is cheaper and easier than using unslotters.

I've respecced two of my toons (Bastille Boy and Mikey Iodine) several times. I started playing them back in 2019, and I've rethought their builds as I learned more about game mechanics.

My Night Widow I had to respec at least 7 times to make it work, but I finally got it right now.

Every other character? Maybe once, if even. Truthfully I don't even plan out my builds, I just figure it out as I go along, and that one respec is usually in the later game when I realize which powers work and which don't. Most of the time, as I'm leveling up, I get a feel for what my character is good at, what they're not good at, and make my power/slot choices based on that.

I'm no power-gamer by any stretch of the imagination, so admittedly, it doesn't take much to make me happy. I'm not out to min/max my characters, I'm out to have fun and do silly stuff.

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

Use mids, refine and tune the build multiple times.  Take a week if you have too, sometimes you drop a power or change the IO sets in 5 of them to get the same effect (shuffling around the bonuses) while boosting 2 others with a few % more.  Once you are satisfied with it, try it out.  Don't just make a build, try it and then get frustrated.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Usually 1, to get slots where I want them at the end / suited to 50+5 IOs. 

But I've done up to 3 on some chars as I realised certain powers weren't working well or I could do things another way (my Kinetics corruptor). Occasionally changes once a patch comes out (some power gets much better or less attractive so needs to come in or be watered down / removed). 

• Like 1

Always once minimum. While leveling I put an extra slot in Hasten and Build up to reach 95%+ recharge, and there is no point in slotting the melee Winter sets since the normal version only gives 1.85%, so I instead use four slots instead of five and slot Kinetic Combats for 3.75%. Level 50 is also when I swap from Kinetic Combats or Obliteration sets to purple IOs.

So, of course, a respec once at 50.

And then there's my latest Sentinel where I put an extra slow in Aim while leveling and had to respec out, then took Punch instead of Inferno at 32... and had to respec out, and then reached 50, respeced, and then later decided i didn't need epic pools and respecced AGAIN.

• Like 1

I build out on Mids.  I usually take one respec to get what I want.  I recently built a Blaster (this weekend) and as I was building him realized I left off one of the Blaster AT sets....  crap.  redid MiDs, got more out of the build, respec'd....again.  sigh.  

For my main...I respec him maybe once every two months, at most.  Usually for something major.  Recently I made an alt Tank build for him with Taunt.  Then I Respec'd the main build and dropped Rune of Protection, picked up Touch of Fear.

I have a Super Strength/Invulnerability build that uses a Hyperstrike build.  It was my main when I started.  I slapped Hyperstrikes build on it and never changed it.  Ran it for months.  Still parked with all the sets on it.  It is perfect.  Why Respec?

Edited by Snarky

Also in the Zero camp.  I'll play with a Mids build for hours until I get something that looks good on paper and I may make a change (intentionally or accidentally) while playing.  I sometimes want to respec to change and make it better, but after playing it for a bit I find it good enough.

I might respec more if I did not hate it so much.  When I have respecced I have had to start all over due to a slotting mistake or picking a power too late in a build.  Yes, I respec my respec.

• Haha 1

Usually, zero. I've probably used a grand total of 5 respecs for all the characters I have, since joining HC. My style of play doesn't really necessitate it (casual player: usually on default settings when I solo; tend to drop characters post level 30). Now, if I were constantly incarnating, or trying to be a godlike solo artist,  I certainly might look into it.

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I choose my power and slots based on what I feel the character needs at the time. Because of that I rarely respec because it takes away from the experiences the character faced as he/she leveled. I do sometimes error in power choices and slotting, I admit that. However, thats is what makes my alts unique to me. I still strive to make them successful, and find that unlocking Alpha, in most cases fixes all that was weak about the character. EDIT: I should add that I do not use mids.

Edited by KC4800
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty