Ice Armor!

StriderIV

Hey all!

Maybe it was to do with Mortal Kombat coming out this week, but I want to give Ice Armor a go, and I think it seems like it would be a good fit on a Scrapper! Bastion seems like a pretty sweet T9. I don't see many Ice Armor heroes while I'm playing, so it thought I'd come to the forums and see if anyone had some advice!

Potential pairings:

Ice Melee/Ice Armor: Because I want to be COOL.

Psi Melee/Ice Armor: Since both powersets have a -recharge, I felt it was pretty synergistic! In a way you're effectively making yourself a bit more tanky since baddies will be attacking you less.

Katana/Ice: Katana Ice wielding Ninja sounds sweet.

Are there any other pairings that people would recommend/are synergistic? Rad Melee springs to mind as well since it brings another heal Ice Armor could use.

Edited by StriderIV

Ice Armor on Scrapper is interesting.  I have an Axe/Ice Scrapper in the 30s and he's strange.  He hits like a truck and tends to be extremely hard to hit, but living up to the armor he's a literal glaicer with the slowness of Axe's recharge (mitigated by Force Feedbacks and Luck of the Gamblers thankfully).  Endurance is troublesome some times but keeping Energy Absorbtion at the ready is a good way to stay in the fight, though slow attack chains make everything run away and make it tricky to keep everything in range.  One of the biggest issues with the set as a Scrapper compared to Tanker or Brute is the lack of taunt auras so make sure to kill them fast enough before they scatter.

I don't think I would recommend pairing Axe or Mace with Ice, too slow, but maybe Dark or Katana would be great pairings.  Dark pairs well with the -ToHit effects complementing Ice's defense based protection plus another Endurance AoE.  Katana can also help this with Divine Avalance though Dark is a little more blanket compared to DA only boosting your Melee/Lethal.  Ice would also work well, stacking more slows with good AoEs and giving you Ice Patch to keep things from running away as often.

• Like 2

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I had an /Ice stalker and really enjoyed it. On its whole, the defense isn't as easy to hit caps as on SR or EA, but very doable, and you end up capped on ice resist without even trying! Which is helpful for all 3 enemies that use ice? Your def debuff resist is close to what EA has, so at danger of a cascade failure but not too bad. Chilling Embrace is great and I think very undervalued, providing constant -recharge, -speed and -damage to everything both helps your defense go further and support the team as a whole. Icy Bastion is amazing though, one of the best T9s for armor sets going. 30 seconds of practical god mode, no crash, can use it every 3ish minutes with hasten and some global recharge slotting. I'd routinely be in situations where the entire team was dying off, I could pop Icy Bastion and finish everything off in those 30 seconds.

Zork's recommendations for pairings are good, but honestly I'd say go with what feels best 😃 I did Savage/Ice and called it a yeti!

Edited by Oysterhead
  • Like 1

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

7 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Ice Armor on Scrapper is interesting.  I have an Axe/Ice Scrapper in the 30s and he's strange.  He hits like a truck and tends to be extremely hard to hit, but living up to the armor he's a literal glaicer with the slowness of Axe's recharge (mitigated by Force Feedbacks and Luck of the Gamblers thankfully).  Endurance is troublesome some times but keeping Energy Absorbtion at the ready is a good way to stay in the fight, though slow attack chains make everything run away and make it tricky to keep everything in range.  One of the biggest issues with the set as a Scrapper compared to Tanker or Brute is the lack of taunt auras so make sure to kill them fast enough before they scatter.

I don't think I would recommend pairing Axe or Mace with Ice, too slow, but maybe Dark or Katana would be great pairings.  Dark pairs well with the -ToHit effects complementing Ice's defense based protection plus another Endurance AoE.  Katana can also help this with Divine Avalance though Dark is a little more blanket compared to DA only boosting your Melee/Lethal.  Ice would also work well, stacking more slows with good AoEs and giving you Ice Patch to keep things from running away as often.

Thanks for the suggestions man! My only other 50 scrapper is a DM/Shield, so I was THINKING of trying something else.... but DM does seem like it synergizes with pretty much everything 😂

3 hours ago, Oysterhead said:

I had an /Ice stalker and really enjoyed it. On its whole, the defense isn't as easy to hit caps as on SR or EA, but very doable, and you end up capped on ice resist without even trying! Which is helpful for all 3 enemies that use ice? Your def debuff resist is close to what EA has, so at danger of a cascade failure but not too bad. Chilling Embrace is great and I think very undervalued, providing constant -recharge, -speed and -damage to everything both helps your defense go further and support the team as a whole. Icy Bastion is amazing though, one of the best T9s for armor sets going. 30 seconds of practical god mode, no crash, can use it every 3ish minutes with hasten and some global recharge slotting. I'd routinely be in situations where the entire team was dying off, I could pop Icy Bastion and finish everything off in those 30 seconds.

Zork's recommendations for pairings are good, but honestly I'd say go with what feels best 😃 I did Savage/Ice and called it a yeti!

Good to know man! Someone mentioned to me for that Ice/Ice Stalker is pretty nice. Apparently Ice Patch doesn't break hide and it's a good way to mitigate damage from baddies? Stalker could be an option as well 😛

10 hours ago, Thrax said:

I have an ice/spines tank and that combo is really fun. I’m sure I’d be fun on a scrapper as well. Lotta slows. 

Yeah man! You know, I thought about that combo and it seemed like it would be PARTICULARLY good on a tank. Ultimate aggro control haha. I could see Ice/Spines or Ice/Rad being crazy on a tanker for the double damage auras and AOE damage.

5 hours ago, Kazgaroth said:

DM/Ice scrapper is crazy fun and one of my favorite combos in CoH. I like the combo enough that I plan on leveling a DM/Ice brute once my scrapper hits 50. Another fun combo with ice is savage melee.

Nice! I have a DM/Shield scrapper, so I could really see it also working well with Ice Armor!