Patch Notes for April 20th, 2021 - Issue 27, Page 2

Jimmy

Inverse repel resistance wouldn’t seem to be as important as repel resistance anyway. Where repel could potentially shut down melee characters, inverse repel just takes them straight to the source of the problem. Absolute worst case scenario? Just kill the Singularity that is now right next to you.

I'm probably in the minority here, but the changes to Rooted don't feel good or thematic. It doesn't feel like I'm very rooted. It feels like I'm wearing concrete shoes made of foam. Also, every time I jump, or even go over uneven surface, the animation reloads, and the audio is constantly going off.

Thematically, it's a lot less unique from other Defense sets like Invulnerability or Willpower.

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738

19 minutes ago, Obsidius said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but the changes to Rooted don't feel good or thematic. It doesn't feel like I'm very rooted. It feels like I'm wearing concrete shoes made of foam. Also, every time I jump, or even go over uneven surface, the animation reloads, and the audio is constantly going off.

Thematically, it's a lot less unique from other Defense sets like Invulnerability or Willpower.

I just made a Stone tanker for the very first time due 100% to this change. Don’t slow me down now for RP reasons 😞 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arcane said:

I just made a Stone tanker for the very first time due 100% to this change. Don’t slow me down now for RP reasons 😞 

It's easy to be dismissive by saying "LOL RP." It was never an RP thing, it was about strategy. It was about deciding between mobility and durability. That's the whole purpose of the Stone set in general.  When to stand stone fast and when to move.

It was easy enough for me to toggle between Rooted and Sprint when I wanted to run into a group, plant my feet down, get the job done, wash, rinse, and repeat. Now Rooted just kind of feels hollow. 

I think I understand why they made the change, to make the set more mobile. But that was never the point of the Stone set. Heck, even if they wanted to make Rooted faster but have the power cost more Endurance per tick, that would have been a fair offset. But they didn't even bother to do that.

Of course, people who have been playing Stone for a while know that they were other ways to get around the movement penalties (except -Jump or -Fly) of Rooted, like Enhancement set bonuses, Fitness, Etc. You could also get Teleport, although some people didn't prefer this for thematics. But if you are not concerned about role-playing, definitely a valid option even before this change.

The animation changes are also not good.  As others have posted, the lessened Rooted visual effect doesn't even draw properly through some of the bigger feet in the costume sets. It also fidgets anytime to character jumps or goes over an elevation change, constantly making the animation noise in the process, making it audibly broken.

If the developers of Homecoming wanted to change a power so drastically, they could have considered renaming i entirely. Instead of Rooted, they could have called it Petrified, Solid, Inflexible, ect. I'd hardly call it Rooted anymore.

Maybe I missed it, but was there a discussion Thread about this change? Admittedly it's been awhile since I've been on the forms. I was definitely more active on the old forums.

Edited by Obsidius
  • Like 1

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738

1 hour ago, Obsidius said:

Maybe I missed it, but was there a discussion Thread about this change? Admittedly it's been awhile since I've been on the forms. I was definitely more active on the old forums.

Yes.... Only several weeks' worth of posts in the Beta forum regarding all the changes, including areas designed specifically for focused feedback. Same as they do for every major patch release.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

I noticed something today:  when I use the Panther travel power, my Dark Wolf vanity pet now disappears (the combat pet does not).  I tried it on another character (Coyote travel power with Coyote vanity pet), and it did the same thing.  Is this WAI?

Thanks,

D

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Obsidius said:

Too long; don’t copy

I will grant you that they should probably rename the power. However, I don’t agree that the powerset needed to stay in the state of “only powerset in the game that requires you to self-gimp to reasonably function”. Especially since they still gave you the option to self-gimp if you dare use the set’s only unique standout power. So by all means pop Granite on and stay in the good ole days, but this change means others will actually want to play the set 🙂

• Developer
On 4/25/2021 at 3:00 AM, Cinnder said:

The one thing I'm enjoying more than I expected is the exploration badge tip missions.  There's a lot of good writing in there.  I'm now playing a mini-game where I try to guess which badge it is from the mish description. 🙂

Appreciate this! 😄

Glad you're enjoying the exploration tips, and I love your idea, that sounds like a fun mini-game! I've been pleased that people are finding them to be a fun addition to the game; Can safely say that everyone can expect more writing work from me in the future! (Additional zone's Tour Guides for Page 3 and beyond)

• Like 2

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

• Retired Developer
On 4/25/2021 at 3:00 AM, Cinnder said:

Just want to say thank you to the devs for all their (volunteer) work.  Although I view a lot of this update as being in the Fixin' What Ain't Broke category (esp travel power changes), I do appreciate the bug fixes and especially the toning down of the difficulty on the new arcs.  I look fwd to trying those arcs again.

Thank you for acknowledging my attempts to smooth out those arcs.

For the record, I am all for making the game more challenging and engaging, and this was valuable feedback towards that end.

• Like 5

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

• Jimmy featured this topic

I have to say I'm finding Hover and Fly not being mutually exclusive to be extremely annoying as it makes toggling between the two powers and shutting off any flight powers inconvenient.  It's an extra click/keypress every time I want to swap or land my character.  Maybe one keypress is a minor thing, but I find myself doing it very frequently, and it's a constant annoyance.  I have not yet figured out a macro or keybind that can restore the previous functionality that does not add new complications that are equally annoying.  A significant number of my characters use both Fly and Hover, and as there are no circumstances where I want both powers active at the same time, this is just causing a growing frustration with no personal benefit.

Just one player's feedback, but take it for what it's worth.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:53 AM, Blackbird71 said:

I have not yet figured out a macro or keybind that can restore the previous functionality that does not add new complications that are equally annoying. 

Here's what I did. The character in question uses Ninja Run if I want fast ground movement. If you don't need that, remove references to it, and if you want something else, just change the power name.

To start flying from a ground state, and then start alternating between Fly and Hover.

"powexec_toggleoff Sprint$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run$$powexec_name Hover$$powexec_name Fly"

To stop flying and start sprinting. Click a second time to start toggling fast ground movement on and off, if you have it.

"powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_toggleoff Hover$$powexec_toggleoff Evasive Maneuvers$$powexec_name Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleon Sprint"

Note that you will need another key to toggle on Evasive Maneuvers, if you have it. You can't have the alternation as part of the fly/hover bind - toggling on and off between more than two non-exclusive powers doesn't work in one bind. (Edit: Well, it can, sort of, but since EvMa has a non-zero recharge time, while it's recharging you can end up turning off Fly and not turning Hover on, so you just fall, so I considered it not worth it.)

I also use this additional bind to start running Afterburner. Note that this will not work as given if you have the popup tray disabled and don't have Afterburner in a tray somewhere. (It will turn on EvMa instead of AB.)

"powexec_toggleoff Sprint$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleon Afterburner$$powexec_toggleon Fly$$powexec_toggleoff hover"

Edited by UberGuy

On 4/22/2021 at 9:45 PM, Arbegla said:

so I'm really not sure what the issue is

This has now been answered multiple times.

It's really not that complicated an answer but I'll say it again since it keeps getting missed or possibly even intentionally skipped by some to downplay things: It's never been explained.

As per the links I posted on page 11 it was brought up while still in testing therefore dismissing claims like this from PeregrineFalcon:

"I'm always amazed when a big patch goes live and people suddenly show up to complain about stuff like this. My question is always "We were testing stuff on the test server and talking about this for weeks, why didn't you mention this then?"

Players did exactly that and yet got zero feedback all throughout the testing and implementation phases and are still asking the question why it was changed.

tl;dr: Feedback was requested multiple times why the change was made. There was none then when it was still a test patch, there still is none now after it's gone live.

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

16 minutes ago, LQT said:

This has now been answered multiple times.

It's really not that complicated an answer but I'll say it again since it keeps getting missed or possibly even intentionally skipped by some to downplay things: It's never been explained.

As per the links I posted on page 11 it was brought up while still in testing therefore dismissing claims like this from PeregrineFalcon:

Players did exactly that and yet got zero feedback all throughout the testing and implementation phases and are still asking the question why it was changed.

tl;dr: Feedback was requested multiple times why the change was made. There was none then when it was still a test patch, there still is none now after it's gone live.

Explained? They don’t think you should get bonus range without the extra cast time, what’s so confusing about that?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LQT said:

Just so you know, you've completely missed the point of my post. To be fair though, that's probably because of my poor wording.

I wasn't dismissing yours, or anyone's claims. I was pointing out that people should pay attention to the beta patch notes and speak up about stuff while it's still on the test server. Yes, I know that some people did. The person that I was responding to did not. That was my point. Not that no one said anything about it, but that HE should have paid attention to this and spoke up about it before it went live.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

• City Council
31 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

They don’t think you should get bonus range without the extra cast time, what’s so confusing about that?

This. The first version of fast snipe was internally 80ft, I don't know if that ever made it to Brainstorm but it was decided to leave it at 150ft for initial release. After looking at performance metrics, it was decided it didn't need the bonus range after all. I know a lot of people scoff at power balance based on spreadsheets and logs rather than feel, which is why there's not a lot of discussion on decisions based on that; it's not something that players who "feel the nerf", even if the numbers say the effect is negligible, will ever agree with.

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, Cobalt Arachne said:

Appreciate this! 😄

Glad you're enjoying the exploration tips, and I love your idea, that sounds like a fun mini-game! I've been pleased that people are finding them to be a fun addition to the game; Can safely say that everyone can expect more writing work from me in the future! (Additional zone's Tour Guides for Page 3 and beyond)

Yay!   I had been purposely avoiding exploration badges in anticipation of this release.  Looking forward to more (and hope to see similar with plaques)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UberGuy said:

Here's what I did. The character in question uses Ninja Run if I want fast ground movement. If you don't need that, remove references to it, and if you want something else, just change the power name.

To start flying from a ground state, and then start alternating between Fly and Hover.

"powexec_toggleoff Sprint$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run$$powexec_name Hover$$powexec_name Fly"

To stop flying and start sprinting. Click a second time to start toggling fast ground movement on and off, if you have it.

"powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_toggleoff Hover$$powexec_toggleoff Evasive Maneuvers$$powexec_name Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleon Sprint"

Note that you will need another key to toggle on Evasive Maneuvers, if you have it. You can't have the alternation as part of the fly/hover bind - toggling on and off between more than two non-exclusive powers doesn't work in one bind. (Edit: Well, it can, sort of, but since EvMa has a non-zero recharge time, while it's recharging you can end up turning off Fly and not turning Hover on, so you just fall, so I considered it not worth it.)

I also use this additional bind to start running Afterburner. Note that this will not work as given if you have the popup tray disabled and don't have Afterburner in a tray somewhere. (It will turn on EvMa instead of AB.)

"powexec_toggleoff Sprint$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleon Afterburner$$powexec_toggleon Fly$$powexec_toggleoff hover"

Any version of that I make to meet my needs is going to be clunkier and use more keys than what I could do simply before this patch.  That's the problem I'm running into; there is no way to do it as simply as it was before, and it's becoming a significant hit to gameplay QoL for me.

19 hours ago, UberGuy said:

Here's what I did. The character in question uses Ninja Run if I want fast ground movement. If you don't need that, remove references to it, and if you want something else, just change the power name. <snip>

I'm not as savy with macros... is there a way to just create a single button to toggle between hover and fly?

Thanks for any feedback 🙂

Just now, damienray said:

I'm not as savy with macros... is there a way to just create a single button to toggle between hover and fly?

Thanks for any feedback 🙂

That's what the first one does. Just bind the first one to whatever key you want, using this

/bind <SOMEKEY> <THE_COMMANDS>

Include the quotes around the <THE_COMMANDS> part.

The second one is a convenience to have one key to stop flying with,

9 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

Any version of that I make to meet my needs is going to be clunkier and use more keys than what I could do simply before this patch.  That's the problem I'm running into; there is no way to do it as simply as it was before, and it's becoming a significant hit to gameplay QoL for me.

What I posted gives you a single bind (the first one) you can use to alternate fly and hover. Since only one of those two power will be on at a time, you can just click whichever is on to land, if you don't want a key for it. If you don't want the stuff that detoggles run powers while you're flying, just remove that part and leave the references to Hover and Fly.

In terms of keys involved, I'm not sure how this could be more complicated than before, since you had to have at least one bind in order to toggle between Hover and Fly previously. All the rest of what I posted is optional - I posted it for completeness, because it's what I use and I thought it might be useful to you (and others).

Edited by UberGuy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UberGuy said:

What I posted gives you a single bind (the first one) you can use to alternate fly and hover. Since only one of those two power will be on at a time, you can just click whichever is on to land, if you don't want a key for it. If you don't want the stuff that detoggles run powers while you're flying, just remove that part and leave the references to Hover and Fly.

In terms of keys involved, I'm not sure how this could be more complicated than before, since you had to have at least one bind in order to toggle between Hover and Fly previously. All the rest of what I posted is optional - I posted it for completeness, because it's what I use and I thought it might be useful to you (and others).

Here's what I need:

Single keypress to go from on the ground to Fly active.

Single keypress to go from on the ground to Hover active.

Single keypress to toggle from Fly to Hover

Single keypress to toggle from Hover to Fly.

Single keypress to turn off Fly.

Single keypress to turn off Hover.

All of this in no more than two buttons.  Anything more than that is worse than what we had before the patch.

Edited by Blackbird71

For comparison:

Single keypress to go from on the ground to Fly active.

The first bind I provided will do this for you

Single keypress to go from on the ground to Hover active.

I don't have a bind for you here, but you can use the bind above to get to Hover (only) in two clicks. Alternatively, you could use a reversed version of the bind above to do this (and bind it to a separate key). Meaning first click gets you hovering, and additional clicks toggles between Hover and Fly. Let me know if you'd like the "inverted" version, but basically you just need to reverse the order of Hover and Fly in the binds. Last power in the bind is executed first.

Single keypress to toggle from Fly to Hover

The first bind provided does this after it gets you off the ground into Fly.

Single keypress to toggle from Hover to Fly.

The first bind provided does this after it gets you off the ground into Fly. (Next click is Hover, then Fly, repeat.) If you go with the reversed bind to get to Hover from the ground, it will do this too.

Single keypress to turn off Fly.

The landing bind I provided does this. It turns off Hover and / or Fly

Single keypress to turn off Hover.
 The landing bind I provided does this. It turns off Hover and / or Fly

All of this in no more than two buttons.  Anything more than that is worse than what we had before the patch.

You can do this in two buttons if you're willing to double click to get from ground to Hover. If not, you'll need three. I don't see how you had this in two buttons before, though, as you could not have had "ground to Hover in one click" on the same key as "ground to Fly in one click", and you also had a landing key.