Patch Notes for April 20th, 2021 - Issue 27, Page 2

Jimmy

No, I saw a bunch of people not understanding the post and giving a list of not-very-helpful answers, all while taking a condescending tone despite needing something as simple as 'my binds were set up exactly as though slotting those powers on the default tray and hitting default number keys' explained to them.

And then they still couldn't provide a functional answer to the poster's problem, because the whole point of that post was to point out that there actually isn't an answer, and for that poster's use case, the patch was an unavoidable decrease in quality of life because Fly and Hover no longer de-toggle each other.

A more elegant solution that Homecoming Team could have gone with, to allow quality of life in both cases, would be to keep Fly and Hover mutually exclusive, but add air control to Fly for those people who apparently really can't stand not using Hover's air control with Fly's speed. Since really, the only reason to Fly instead of Hover is for speed, and in all combat contexts, you want to Hover for maximum control, and certainly not waste the endurance on Fly (which won't even give you extra speed in combat, because Fly is affected by combat travel suppression).

Additionally, anyone wanting air control with Fly could take Combat Jumping instead. It was always able to be toggled on with Fly, gave air control that worked during flight, and the only difference in control between Fly + Combat Jumping, and Hover, was that Combat Jumping gave you the ability to turn on a dime but did not remove the inertia from when you stop, while Hover allows you to both stop and turn on a dime -- a questionable benefit while out-of-combat (the time when Fly is useful).

Basically, most of the people I know don't go to patch notes threads to look for an answer from other players, they go to patch notes threads to post feedback to the Homecoming Team about the patch, and all that page's worth of posts has done is reduce visibility on a legit complaint that's unfixable player-side.

Edited by SiliconAria
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, SiliconAria said:

And then they still couldn't provide a functional answer to the poster's problem, because the whole point of that post was to point out that there actually isn't an answer,

Did you not see these posts (quoted below)? The solution was already found and provided. I'm pretty sure Glacier Peak's comment was in reference to those who helped provide an answer to the problem.

6 hours ago, UberGuy said:

Actually, a little bird pointed out to me a bind combo that I think (?) does what you want, @Blackbird71

Bind this to start or stop flying. Hover turns off if it was running

"powexec_toggleoff Hover$$powexec_name Fly"

Bind this to start or stop hovering. Fly turns off if it was running.

"powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_name Hover"

5 hours ago, GoldStandard said:

For those having trouble with the exclusivity and wishing to replicate pre-Page 2 functionality, you can do the following macros:

/macroimage "flight_combatflight.png" "Hover" "powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_name Hover"

/macroimage "flight_travelflight.png" "Fly" "powexec_toggleoff Hover$$powexec_name Fly"

Those will look and work like the old Hover/Fly; however, you will not get the swirling icon to indicate the toggle is active (a limitation of macros). If this is an issue, you can use a keybind instead. I don't know what keys you use, so I'll use an example of "H" for hover and "F" for fly.

/bind h "powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_name Hover"

/bind f "powexec_toggleoff Hover$$powexec_name Fly"

UberGuy already showed the bind solution, so I apologize for my redundant post. 

Edited by Bopper

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Those don't actually do what the poster wanted, though. That's the thing. The poster wanted to be able to choose whether to Fly or Hover with a single key press, from any situation, but also to be able to land with a single key press, whether flying or hovering -- all in only two actual buttons being taken up. Those will let you swap and take off with a single keypress, but to my knowledge, will still require a third bind to land? Though I guess toggleoff and name will still both fire if you're... hm.

Don't mind me, if that's actually functional. Gonna go test it, tbh. But the condescending tone still stands, and doesn't feel very helpful. There's a reason I don't really post here very often.

Edited by SiliconAria

I also use these binds for some of my characters, which lets a person switch to Fly, Hover, and walking with a single keypress:

hover.txt

F "powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_name Hover$$bindloadfilesilent ./binds/flight/fly.txt"

fly.txt

F "powexec_toggleoff Hover$$powexec_name Fly$$bindloadfilesilent ./binds/flight/ground.txt"

ground.txt

F "powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_toggleoff Hover$$bindloadfilesilent ./binds/flight/hover.txt"

Easy enough to set up, and allows for rotating between multiple powers - a neat setup for sure. 😊

8 minutes ago, SiliconAria said:

Those don't actually do what the poster wanted, though. That's the thing. The poster wanted to be able to choose whether to Fly or Hover with a single key press, from any situation, but also to be able to land with a single key press, whether flying or hovering -- all in only two actual buttons being taken up. Those will let you swap and take off with a single keypress, but to my knowledge, will still require a third bind to land? Though I guess toggleoff and name will still both fire if you're... hm.

Don't mind me, if that's actually functional. Gonna go test it, tbh. But the condescending tone still stands, and doesn't feel very helpful. There's a reason I don't really post here very often.

You may have wanted to test it before posting. That's what the most recent ones do.

• Like 1

Yeah I’ve been holding my tongue this whole time, trying not to get embroiled in a bout of verbal fisticuffs. But can someone remind me why a few wackos are picking the Fly pool but NOT running all three toggles now?

• City Council
1 minute ago, Nerio72 said:

It's your forum but do you really need to invalidate my post by calling it "squabbling"? Edit away, I can't defend myself from that either.

Your post was kinda fine, but it was caught in a bad quote chain.

• Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

47 minutes ago, arcane said:

Yeah I’ve been holding my tongue this whole time, trying not to get embroiled in a bout of verbal fisticuffs. But can someone remind me why a few wackos are picking the Fly pool but NOT running all three toggles now?

Endurance?  Why run Flight if you're in combat?  Or does the endurance usage get suppressed along with the flight speed automatically?  I've honestly never checked because I don't do fliers mostly.  I don't run Super Jump and Combat Jump at the same time because it offers TOO much control in the air for my liking.  It's too twitchy.  That wouldn't be a problem for flying.

Nobody mentioned Evasive Maneuvers.  I assume that IS being run all the time if someone takes it.

I don't run all the toggles. I build binds that let me toggle them off so they're mostly exclusive. I don't need Fly (or EvMA) to run when I'm in combat, and doing so is a huge waste of endurance. And until Hover's animation doesn't override Fly's, I don't want Hover on while I'm flying in open spaces. (Otherwise I'd keep it on for the movement control.)

Edited by UberGuy
  • Like 1

Endurance would have to be the reason, yes. I like to be highly mobile in combat (kiting, escaping, setting up

cones, etc.) and will always have Fly or Super Speed or their origin equivalents on. But then you still want Hover and Evasive Maneuvers on for all the in-combat benefits.

I generally don’t build builds that are going to require toggles to be toggled off and on to function. Too much maintenance work I don’t care to be bothered by. There are a few exceptions like debuff toggles where that will obviously happen by default, but, otherwise, I just run ‘em all and build in the appropriate endurance fixes, whether it be procs/endurance discount/recovery in the low levels or cardiac/vigor/ageless/support in the higher levels.

I have those toggles on the side of my mouse, where I can flip them with my mouse hand thumb. At this point, I can do them by sheer muscle memory. There's no performance cost, unless I block myself by queuing attacks while I try to change travel modes.

Edit: It helps hugely that the true travel powers (so excluding EvMa) are zero cast/recharge time, so you can toggle them on/off freely.

Edited by UberGuy

I like the new functionality, but for those people who want Fly/Hover and SJ/CJ not to coexist, maybe throw another option on Null?   Not sure how much work that would be, but it may be a simpler solution.  And I think the binds may still work then?

I don't think it's possible for a Null option to do this. It would require completely different powers, or a code change to allow exclusion groups for powers to be some kind of expression, rather than just a string that's checked at power activation time.

haaate drift, but have been able to ignore it for years because fast switch to Hover completely stops it. I can basically stop on a dime from flight because I can zip up to something and flip Hover on at the right place. (Within the limits of game client/server position (dis)agreement lag, of course. 😛)

• Haha 2

Why was the Living Dark badge removed from the Abandoned Sewers. There are 8 exploration badges in EVERY zone except Pocket D, Kalisti, and Oroborus. When will you be putting it back and making the lab it’s own badge,  like it is in bank missions? I am sorry if this is the wrong place for this. 

8 minutes ago, NorseStar said:

Why was the Living Dark badge removed from the Abandoned Sewers. There are 8 exploration badges in EVERY zone except Pocket D, Kalisti, and Oroborus. When will you be putting it back and making the lab it’s own badge,  like it is in bank missions? I am sorry if this is the wrong place for this. 

It wasn't removed, it was just relocated. The HC wiki page for the Living Dark badge has its updated location, and if you need the updated VidiotMap for Abandoned Sewer Network, I've made that available here.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
typo
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NorseStar said:

I have been to this section of the map. It is a closed off sewer line. 

On the Sewer Network map, it is closed off. On the Abandoned Sewer Network map, which is a different map, there are some additional tunnels, which is where you will find the new location of the Living Dark badge.